1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War - Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely trying this out when I get the chance. Any advice as to not damage the figure?

Heat the top and around the front and back, Not the arms or shoulders. 30 sec max. Follow rest of instructions. Post pics when done. I would love to see how it worked for you my friend,

Heat the top and around the front and back, Not the arms or shoulders. 30 sec max. Follow rest of instructions. Post pics when done. I would love to see how it worked for you my friend,

Well done. You’re officially smarter than me, I of course looked at the problem and chose the most complicated solution I could....hahaha

Hey fellow collectors. I tried an easy fix for the gap between the shoulders and the vest. I did not have to take the vest apart or remove any material from the figure. All i used was a blow dryer. I heated up each side, one at a time. Once it was hot and soft enough, I pressed it down and ran cold water over that part of the vest while pressing down on the vest, and it stayed. Let me know what you think.

DSC06649 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC06650 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC06651 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

I hope this helps.

AFM
Super easy fix, it's a little better than before, but just know it will come back eventually. I have used the heat and flash cold method on certain figures, Batman tdkr more specifically, and it always reverses itself. But, without doing any actual removal of items, dremeling the figure, it is a short safe route to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Super easy fix, it's a little better than before, but just know it will come back eventually.

I would agree if the plastic was soft. But the top brown part is hard plastic and after the heat makes it soft and pressing it into the desired shape, them hitting it with the cold water, it tends to keep that shape forever.

Well done. You’re officially smarter than me, I of course looked at the problem and chose the most complicated solution I could....hahaha

Not really my friend. I got the idea after seeing your post. I kept looking at how yours came to see if mine was even close. So thanks for the inspiration.

Super easy fix, it's a little better than before, but just know it will come back eventually. I have used the heat and flash cold method on certain figures, Batman tdkr more specifically, and it always reverses itself. But, without doing any actual removal of items, dremeling the figure, it is a short safe route to go.

If it's doing that then you're probably not heating it enough. Plastic needs to get to the right temp to permanently plastically deform.

Unfortunately that's difficult to achieve with a hairdryer. Try a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's doing that then you're probably not heating it enough. Plastic needs to get to the right temp to permanently plastically deform.

Unfortunately that's difficult to achieve with a hairdryer. Try a little longer.

Lol I know how to do it. I'm not talking the next day, I mean over time. I had to redo it once or twice over the years.

Lol I know how to do it. I'm not talking the next day, I mean over time. I had to redo it once or twice over the years.

Ok. I wasnt talking next day either. Do you know anything about placticity curves. Along other things the company I work for develops cooling systems which involve permanent forming of plastic pipes. This is done through an oven. If the temp/duration is not right some plastics have slow relaxation back to their original state over time. Especially if it sees some high heat again.

Problem is with a hairdryer and not knowing the plastic material properties its not an exact science.

So I guess what you've achieved is probably as good as you'll get.

Ok. I wasnt talking next day either. Do you know anything about placticity curves. Along other things the company I work for develops cooling systems which involve permanent forming of plastic pipes. This is done through an oven. If the temp/duration is not right some plastics have slow relaxation back to their original state over time. Especially if it sees some high heat again.

Problem is with a hairdryer and not knowing the plastic material properties its not an exact science.

So I guess what you've achieved is probably as good as you'll get.

So if I'm using the boiling water method, what would be better than that in your opinion?

I wouldn't think boiling water would get the plastic to a high enough temp. By the time the plastic heats up it will be probably around 80°C or less.

Many plastics start to deform around 120°C

A hair dryer would be able to get the plastic hotter. But there is no good way of telling what temp you are at.

At least with the water method you are restricting over heating, just it may not be hot enough for more permanent deformation.

So is there risk of damage with the hair dryer?

If you heat it up too much / too long yes. But just use your experience with the water to know how hot it needs to get.

Or stick with the water if you don't want to risk it.

first impression out of the box is that it LOOKS great. articulation is awful. unable to get proper snapping fingers is a true disappointment. they should have included a snapping hand before any other hand.

D7nHWUEVUAA_SLI.jpg

If you heat it up too much / too long yes. But just use your experience with the water to know how hot it needs to get.

Or stick with the water if you don't want to risk it.

We have a heat gun at work we use for various things. I’m thinking that might get a higher temp. I’m nervous to use that on this expensive figure. Any suggestions using this?

I’d try a regular hairdryer first. A heat gun gets a lot hotter and is much more likely to do harm than good.

Back