1/6 Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Anyone else preorder this through ActionFigureXpress? Just placed my preorder but don't really know anything about this site other than it was mentioned in this thread. Hope they are good with preorders

Thanks alot

AFX is a great little store in Hawaii, great prices great selection. They are a little slow to receive products, they will ship after Sideshow, probably after Alter Ego. They typically sellout of pre-orders pretty quick, not a huge supply. They have a rewards program but you have to email them to sign up for it.

Also if any pre-order has a NRD Non refundable deposit, this is usually treated more like a cancellation fee so they will only charge the deposit if you cancel.

AFX is a great little store in Hawaii, great prices great selection. They are a little slow to receive products, they will ship after Sideshow, probably after Alter Ego. They typically sellout of pre-orders pretty quick, not a huge supply. They have a rewards program but you have to email them to sign up for it.

Also if any pre-order has a NRD Non refundable deposit, this is usually treated more like a cancellation fee so they will only charge the deposit if you cancel.

Sounds good for patient collectors, not a lot of those :lol

I disagree. You have to keep in mind that they are sculpting fur into a solid piece. This can make the figure look some what different compared to the movie version simply because the figure isn't a 1/6 raccoon figure with a full body rooted hair. The sculpt for the head is spot on in terms of translating Rockets fur to plastic.

The problem with the figure is the eyes. They're nothing like the eyes that rocket has in the movie. In the movie, all you see is his brown pupil. On the figure, he has smaller pupils which makes it more human. The same thing goes for the Groot figure. Groot has pure black eyes while the figure has a smaller set of pupils.

A quick photoshop of the figure and you can see the difference that it makes. All I did for Rocket was make his pupil bigger so it fills his eye out more. For Groot I just filled in his eyes black.

FbJfGb8.jpg

U2XHd3I.jpg
The eyes are definitely a problem, but even with the pupils filled in I still don't see Rocket in the sculpt. I feel that, like the Predators, because it's not a human face it's getting a free pass in the accuracy department. The mouth and teeth don't look like Rocket to me at all, but instead some kind of evil, rabid villain animal. The brow also looks very evil. The white paint application seems poorly blended. Why is the sculpted "scruff" only around the cheeks while the top of his head and ears are perfectly smooth? I honestly don't know if Rocket could be done justice as a high-end collectible with sculpted plastic hair (for $159.99 it should really be something more advanced), but I gotta think sculpted plastic hair could be done better than what we see here (look at Dark World Thor's wig, for a good example).

Sculpt aside, that doesn't excuse the poor tailoring/fit of the clothing, which appears lightyears behind Gamora and Star-Lord, both of which seem to really raise the bar in that regard.

I always place my orders through SSC and SSC alone. So no, sorry, didn't order from there.

These look fantastic and I can't wait to own the set. Especially with a cute potted Groot.

Anyone else preorder this through ActionFigureXpress? Just placed my preorder but don't really know anything about this site other than it was mentioned in this thread. Hope they are good with preorders

Thanks alot

I order most of my stuff (including Rocket) through AFX, they're legit. Got my MoS figure from them. What I like is they're pretty responsive with emails, give the standard 5% discount, price match (was able to get the diecast Mk3 for less than $290 this way), give rewards points like SSC with a very liberal usage policy, and b/c their shipping origin is in Southern CA not Hawaii, their shipping rates to my location are very reasonable. Their downside is they do take longer to get inventory and their order status system is pretty ancient, but they deliver.

Back