1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Aliens (with Power Loader!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but i'd bet all of their Iron Man suits are really accurate down to small details.... :D Alien, Predator, Terminator obviously aren't their main 'let's do this line right' franchises....

I think both your and A-Dev's statements are true tho, aren't they - so it's about the reference they've got. For all the "current" stuff, they've got scans of actors as part of their contracts, they've got availability of actual suit model data for things like Iron Man, etc etc etc. Merchandising is built into many of these shows. But for the old stuff, HT have got Google images, and the pause button on the remote, and then it's just how fussed someone is, and how much time/budget they have.

I'm exaggerating a bit no doubt, but you get my point :) So, you couple that access/saturation of original data - or not - with the bottom line (and the bottom line is that a lot of what we consider "classic" licences aren't going to make HT anything like the profit the Marvel & Star Wars stuff will), and IMO that combination has got a lot to do with why we get what we get. So you're both right.

Not saying I like it, necessarily. Just I'd say there's a good chance that's how it is. :dunno

EDIT - I'm going to pre-empt someone pointing out the current OT Star Wars figures contradict what I'm saying ;) I'm sure HT don't have a load of scans, data etc; but I'll bet they have plenty of time & budget allocated to do the work on those figures, and plenty of Disney/Lucasfilm Archive access if needed, because £££££££££

I think both your and A-Dev's statements are true tho, aren't they - so it's about the reference they've got. For all the "current" stuff, they've got scans of actors as part of their contracts, they've got availability of actual suit model data for things like Iron Man, etc etc etc. Merchandising is built into many of these shows. But for the old stuff, HT have got Google images, and the pause button on the remote, and then it's just how fussed someone is, and how much time/budget they have.

I'm exaggerating a bit no doubt, but you get my point :) So, you couple that access/saturation of original data - or not - with the bottom line (and the bottom line is that a lot of what we consider "classic" licences aren't going to make HT anything like the profit the Marvel & Star Wars stuff will), and IMO that combination has got a lot to do with why we get what we get. So you're both right.

Not saying I like it, necessarily. Just I'd say there's a good chance that's how it is. :dunno

EDIT - I'm going to pre-empt someone pointing out the current OT Star Wars figures contradict what I'm saying ;) I'm sure HT don't have a load of scans, data etc; but I'll bet they have plenty of time & budget allocated to do the work on those figures, and plenty of Disney/Lucasfilm Archive access if needed, because £££££££££

indeed, to your edit! I myself just got in hand the Han Solo from ANH, and it's a really good likeness, I'm happy with it. Only thing I dislike is the boots, they're folded because they're made of very thin leather vs. molded plastic.

It's a no brainer considering anything Marvel/IM will sell a gazillion units in China alone that is where their bread and butter is. I've branched out with my collection having things from different lines and manufacturers. but seeing how I'm an original Alien fan I've wanted this figure since I got back into collecting in the 90's. Now that it's finally coming I'm glad on one hand, but also have mixed feelings on the other because I know it COULD be better and having waited this long for it, it's a little hard to take when corners are clearly being cut. Don't take that comment as a slam/complaint on the fig/sculpt, just mildly frustrated! I'm eagerly awaiting my 2 Ripley's, and if the 10% chance that the PL Ripley does get made I will for sure order that.

seeing how I'm an original Alien fan I've wanted this figure since I got back into collecting in the 90's. Now that it's finally coming I'm glad on one hand, but also have mixed feelings on the other because I know it COULD be better and having waited this long for it, it's a little hard to take when corners are clearly being cut. Don't take that comment as a slam/complaint on the fig/sculpt, just mildly frustrated! I'm eagerly awaiting my 2 Ripley's, and if the 10% chance that the PL Ripley does get made I will for sure order that.

Completely agree! Was just saying that neither your post or A Dev's seemed like an either/or, they seemed to explain each other. The end result being that you look at the Suicide Squad figs, for example (not interested in em, but the quality looks off the chart), and then back to the Ripley ones... and, ehhh. IMO clear example of both the way merchandising is factored upfront into movies & actors contracts now, and the budget HT's must be giving to them.

I've said elsewhere my bugbear with Alien Ripley was the jumpsuit material being "wrong"; again, we'll see more accurate materials used on the newer and/or tentpole lines. Ho hum. It is a shame tho, even while grasping the reasons, to get what are now niche licences but then see 'em increasingly done to be "good enough" :-/

Hoping the Power Loader Ripley will be the one now, much as I'd have preferred a spot-on Nostromo Ripley :pray: I wonder if they will just re-use or slightly update the final Nostromo head sculpt? And whether they get the bug stompers right ;)

Original props, models and costumes are probably scattered to the four winds so my guess is all our old stuff is, to varying degrees, reinterpreted by the licensers themselves. In a way it is they who are probably more culpable for why we get inaccurate figures from Hot Toys. They maybe aren't bothered recreating original screen-used props to absolute precision - they make a new model with a general resemblance and that becomes the new official reference material that they hand out to toy companies and Hot Toys doesn't bother doing its own research or 'movie-pausing' to discover the ways in which the new models don't look like they did in the movie.

So it's a case of Hot Toys is indeed being accurate

insofar as the amount of ****s they give. :lol

Last edited:
Aye, all true. Things were done very differently "back then", and actually Star Wars is unique in that Lucas thought to create the Archives to preserve/remake/examine as best they could.

Totally wandering off topic (this is Alien I'm going to waffle about, not even Aliens), but suddenly reminded that a few years back, there was a mid-week screening of Alien at the giant screen in Birmingham, which I think all of about 30 or 40 people came along for. By coincidence, one of those was a chap who worked on the effects, and happens to live nearby. He ended up chatting with everyone about stuff he did, in the bar beforehand; I'm not especially nostalgic but I do love my practical effects, and it was great to get a personal feel for what we usually only saw after the fact, in DVD extras. Wasn't quite blokes in sheds in those days; but even at Pinewood etc it wasn't so far off it in spirit, and all of it awesome :)

Trying desperately to remember his name, ashamed to say I can't. But I do remember that when his name went past in the credits, we all cheered :)

ht release.jpg

No, they're still collating.
but they have confirmed that they've got an outer layer of disney products. they have a funny habit of ditching announced figures and replacing them with gynysys crap and marvel stuff, which gives them a prolonged resistance to fans wishes and expectations.

but they have confirmed that they've got an outer layer of disney products. they have a funny habit of ditching announced figures and replacing them with gynysys crap and marvel stuff, which gives them a prolonged resistance to fans wishes and expectations.

:lol :lol :lol

I didn't even realise this was the Powerloader thread.

Everybody just stop posting in here. You must all be masochists. This thread is also nearly three years old. It will be another three before we even hear anything about this again.

There are a few on Ebay for close to retail. So I don't understand why there are people still waiting for a new version that's not going to happen.

Back