Hot Toys & Ebay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason148

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Here is my problem. I have sold over 34 1/6 hot toys and sideshow figures on ebay and not one complaint. A couple weeks ago i sold a hot toys figure, the buyer received it and said the knee was broken. I know it was fine when i shipped it, but felt bad that it got damaged in transit so i refunded some of his money. Now to my new problem. I just sold another hot toys figure and this new buyer claims the knee is broken. I double checked this figure before i shipped it and i know there was nothing wrong with it. My question is, do hot toys body's get more fragile with age or is this a scam to get partial refunds?. Can you take the knee apart and make it look broken, get a partial refund and then put it back together?. All my auctions say "as/is, no refunds or returns" and "I am not responsible for items once they leave my possession" <------ will this cover me if they file a complaint?. Guess i will have to start putting pics of the knees in the auction to prove there fine. Any info on this would be Much appreciated. Thanx.

more and more people are running scams like this to get partial refunds. if the figure was fine when it left your hands, than i would tell them to contact hot toys for any kind of replacement.

While it could be a scam, the knee joint is the weakest part of the older TT bodies (seems to be stronger on the new ones). I have had 6 of them break on me personally. In addition, I once received a figure from a reputable seller that had two broken knees by the time it got to me. The seller bought me replacement knee joints which was great, but I had a hard time blaming him for a HT product defect. Now collectors might be getting wise to this problem and exploiting it...I would just ask for pictures of the damage.

Here is my problem. I have sold over 34 1/6 hot toys and sideshow figures on ebay and not one complaint. A couple weeks ago i sold a hot toys figure, the buyer received it and said the knee was broken. I know it was fine when i shipped it, but felt bad that it got damaged in transit so i refunded some of his money. Now to my new problem. I just sold another hot toys figure and this new buyer claims the knee is broken. I double checked this figure before i shipped it and i know there was nothing wrong with it. My question is, do hot toys body's get more fragile with age or is this a scam to get partial refunds?

It can be either, unfortunately. Hot Toys NSTTs and some of the TTAs have been notorious for weak knees. Some also have knees that might slightly wobble, but aren't broken at all. That said, scammers will pull this ____ because they bought a figure with a broken knee or broke one themselves or even just to get a bit of money back. I weed out 99% of them by requesting first pictures of the damage and if it is broken, requesting they send the figure back priority, and insured with signature confirmation for a full refund of the purchase price only. If they refuse, I send them copies of the USPS insurance and receipt and tell them to file their own claim and get a refund from USPS. Most will say, "nevermind, I can fix it" or just ignore the response all together. I NEVER OFFER PARTIAL REFUNDS!

If they ship it back, and it's clear the figure's been ____ed with, I'll file a counter claim with PP stating that the item they shipped back is not the item I sent them and that they're trying to rip me off by taking advantage of ebaY's buyer protection.

Can you take the knee apart and make it look broken, get a partial refund and then put it back together?

Yes and you can also swap it with a broken knee.

All my auctions say "as/is, no refunds or returns" and "I am not responsible for items once they leave my possession" <------ will this cover me if they file a complaint?. Guess i will have to start putting pics of the knees in the auction to prove there fine. Any info on this would be Much appreciated. Thanx.

No. Unfortunately the scamming goes both ways and with all the _______ scammers who rob buyers outright, ebaY now leans more in favor of the buyers themselves. So it's important to always remain courteous and respectful but definitely stand your ground.

Guess i will have to start putting pics of the knees in the auction to prove there fine. Any info on this would be Much appreciated. Thanx.

I think that it is a good idea that you should to take pictures of the figure and it's parts (especially the knees) before you pack and send - to document and prove the state the figure is in - and make sure to pack and protect the fragile parts extra. You could also ask for pictures from the buyers to document their complaint.

Thanx for the info guys. I will start taking pics of the figure before mailing. The first buyer did send me pics of the broken knee on the hellboy figure. He only wanted a refund of $30.00 so he could get a new knee, he paid $280.00 for the figure so i thought that was reasonable and i'm sure the red hellboy knees are hard to find. The second buyer has not sent any pics and has not responded to the message i sent.

His Message:

I received the Joker figure yesterday. I was very disappointed upon opening it last night to find the left leg broken completely off at the knee. It was lying loose in the pant leg. This did not happen during shipping since both the inner and outer box were undamaged. I trust that you are a good responsible seller, and would like to know how you would like to handle this.

Message i sent in response to the broken knee:

I just sold a hellboy figure that was fine when i shipped it and the buyer said it was broke at the knee when it arrived, so i checked this figure very carefully before sending it. When i took pics of the figure i checked the legs and the were fine (If the leg was broken there is no way he would have stood up on the stand), when i packaged the figure i checked both legs a second time and there was no damage. The figure was mint when it left my possession. It had to have happened during shipping, mail carriers throw boxes around all the time and things happen. I'm a collector and take exceptional care of my figures. As stated in the auction "i am not responsible for items once they leave my possession" and also states in auction "Item sold as/is, no refunds or returns".

It almost makes it impossible to sell things. I have had a bad experience, and after a while you just don't want to bother anymore.

Thanx for the info guys. I will start taking pics of the figure before mailing. The first buyer did send me pics of the broken knee on the hellboy figure. He only wanted a refund of $30.00 so he could get a new knee, he paid $280.00 for the figure so i thought that was reasonable and i'm sure the red hellboy knees are hard to find. The second buyer has not sent any pics and has not responded to the message i sent.

His Message:

I received the Joker figure yesterday. I was very disappointed upon opening it last night to find the left leg broken completely off at the knee. It was lying loose in the pant leg. This did not happen during shipping since both the inner and outer box were undamaged. I trust that you are a good responsible seller, and would like to know how you would like to handle this.

I just sold a hellboy figure that was fine when i shipped it and the buyer said it was broke at the knee when it arrived, so i checked this figure very carefully before sending it. When i took pics of the figure i checked the legs and the were fine (If the leg was broken there is no way he would have stood up on the stand), when i packaged the figure i checked both legs a second time and there was no damage. The figure was mint when it left my possession. It had to have happened during shipping, mail carriers throw boxes around all the time and things happen. I'm a collector and take exceptional care of my figures. As stated in the auction "i am not responsible for items once they leave my possession" and also states in auction "Item sold as/is, no refunds or returns".

Don't worry no more.
Those people who just lie shamelessly will simply burn in hell when time comes. Its that simple.
They just don't realize it. Poor they:(

Last edited:
Thanx for the info guys. I will start taking pics of the figure before mailing. The first buyer did send me pics of the broken knee on the hellboy figure. He only wanted a refund of $30.00 so he could get a new knee, he paid $280.00 for the figure so i thought that was reasonable and i'm sure the red hellboy knees are hard to find.

That's the price of a TrueType. :monkey1

The second buyer has not sent any pics and has not responded to the message i sent.

His Message:

Sounds like he's taking you to the cleaners (assuming you're being 100% honest with us). Especially since he's ruled out shipping breakage. :lol I'd see what he says after you request him to ship back the item, boxed up completely, with USPS Priority Mail, fully insured with signature confirmation at which time, upon receipt you'll inspect the figure and take it from there.

Jason148, I know that packing can be an important factor here so I was wondering if you always make sure to pack and protect the figures really good when you send it out ? Also, if the figure got damage during transit you is it possible to ask the postal service (or what ever company you are using) to cover the damage ? By the way, I am not saying that you are doing anything wrong.
smiley.gif

I have a hellboy in my collection that had broken knees and I didnt even know it. Until the leg just fell off. The other worked fine till I looked closer and sure enough it was bad too. I bent and posed like normal up until it falling off. I never would have known.

Never fear negative feedback if you are doing what is right.

If you take good pictures and package your items VERY well, then you have nothing to be worried about.

Yes there are turds out there that will lie, but i promise you decent folk far out number the liars - 100% is over rated and almost impossible with the new feedback policy - (no neg for buyers)

Take good pictures, package it well - karma takes care of the rest.

That could be too... you had it for awhile, never reposed him, put it in a box to sell all mint and that is that. meanwhile the knee became brittle and deteriorated in that pose. The new buyer opens him, is excited moves the leg once and BAM it snapps. (you really think they are not lying about being the ones to break it, hmmmm.)

My Godfather broke at the right knee. I've also bought two other GF bodies loose as bases for other figures, both knee broke.

The knee is really replaceabke though provided you spare up a loose TTR. Either right or knee is replaceable in either socket, it does not have to match. You have to heat up the two parts of the broken knee and remove the broken bit and insert the unbroken knee piece into the old figure.

Jason148, I know that packing can be an important factor here so I was wondering if you always make sure to pack and protect the figures really good when you send it out ? Also, if the figure got damage during transit you is it possible to ask the postal service (or what ever company you are using) to cover the damage ? By the way, I am not saying that you are doing anything wrong.
smiley.gif

He said that packaging came mint so its not the problem.
And postal service usually dont reimburse damages during shipments as far as I know.

I won auctions for the 2 in 1 Superman and the first issue Dark Knight Batman. Both came with broken knees, one the right and the other the left. Both use the older TT but I never had an issue in the past. I asked for the shipping to be refunded in both cases.

I am a big fan of the Medicom RAH line and I know how to fix a broken joint but these knees I haven't been able to figure out yet.

There are definitely scammers out there but then you have people like me on this board who are actually being honest. It's a tough situation.

smiley.gif

I put him in his original box, then put him in a t-800 hot toys brown shipper. Inside the shipper i put the air filled pillow looking things on each side of the original box. Think he got tossed around by the post office. The older figures don't sit very tight in there tray and tend to move. Guess i should tape the figure in the tray better, maybe that would help. It was an original joker from 2008. The packaging is alot tighter on there figures now than back then.

Those pathetic older truetype knees are ridiculously flimsy. I sold a BR Joker here several months ago. Took pics, posed it to make sure everything was OK, etc... the buyer got it and the knee was broken. He was a reputable trader here, so I got him a replacement joint.

I hate selling HT figures for this very reason. I'm always nervous until I get the "all clear" from the buyer because I don't want anyone to be disappointed with their purchase. :/

I also have experience with the Hot Toys Godfather breaking at the knee. Only posed once and that was when it broke :mad:

That could be too... you had it for awhile, never reposed him, put it in a box to sell all mint and that is that. meanwhile the knee became brittle and deteriorated in that pose. The new buyer opens him, is excited moves the leg once and BAM it snapps. (you really think they are not lying about being the ones to break it, hmmmm.)

My Godfather broke at the right knee. I've also bought two other GF bodies loose as bases for other figures, both knee broke.

The knee is really replaceabke though provided you spare up a loose TTR. Either right or knee is replaceable in either socket, it does not have to match. You have to heat up the two parts of the broken knee and remove the broken bit and insert the unbroken knee piece into the old figure.

Back