Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has very subtle lines yeah, though I'm not sure if they are everywhere. I just tried going over them with a fingernail, and I don't even feel them in most places.
The HT does look quite good in that last shot, but the lines in the frown/eyebrows and particularly those black spots above the eyes still annoy me. This of course comes down to personal preference to what extent it affects you.

Yeah, truthfully I don't care for the indents either since they obviously weren't there on the actor... but I'm hoping without side-light on a macro shot that it will look OK in hand.

...yes I see, but can be confusing for some. I mean it’s not often that we actually have two good options for a character in this scale - and therefor the pros and cons are actually kind of unique and in place to discuss. We actually have two very good options for once.

Good forbid we confuse the kiddies here.

Seems the "tails" of his outfit have wires for posing which is great. Don't think that was mentioned anywhere. Certainly helps add realism for those more dynamic poses.

Open mouth sculpt actually looks OK on this pose imo.

63739409_10156304139787344_5705469272227053568_o.jpg

No doubt the poseability of this figure will be insane.

It's always a tough decision whether to go Naboo Duel Maul or Tatooine cloaked Maul... he looks so different either way. I've had a Duel Maul version for so many years that I think I just have to go full cloaked Maul this time with HT. In time, I can always change.

I'm not blown away by the sculpt at all with the pictures so far. Roll on the youtube reviews for a better look.
Previously i've owned the V1 ssc and Medicom, Darth Maul is a favourite character of mine and i was kinda holding out for the definitive Hot Toys version, but something seems off to me:dunno kinda has a fat head.
Looking at comparisons above i think i prefer SSC V2, again the downside is a lack of accessories with the sideshow.

Opening this thread I felt a great disturbance in my bank account, as if hundreds of dollars suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

This is actually pretty annoying, messes up my plan to swap the snarling sculpt on the original sideshow Maul that I swapped over to a standard HT body.

I wonder what their reasoning is for switching to magnetic heads. I half think it's to fight knock offs somehow. It also kind of renders the body a little useless (for swaps) too without modification I think? I guess it depends on if the neck piece is attached to the torso totally.

I wonder what their reasoning is for switching to magnetic heads. I half think it's to fight knock offs somehow. It also kind of renders the body a little useless (for swaps) too without modification I think? I guess it depends on if the neck piece is attached to the torso totally.
Very interesting theory. I hadn't thought of that. I'd also say it potentially reduces the chances of someone carelessly pulling the head off and damaging the paint in the process.

I'm not blown away by the sculpt at all with the pictures so far. Roll on the youtube reviews for a better look.
Previously i've owned the V1 ssc and Medicom, Darth Maul is a favourite character of mine and i was kinda holding out for the definitive Hot Toys version, but something seems off to me:dunno kinda has a fat head.
Looking at comparisons above i think i prefer SSC V2, again the downside is a lack of accessories with the sideshow.

Yeah it does kinda look like the head is rounder and not as narrow as it should be.

IMG_20190613_155909.jpg

FB_IMG_1560420031469~01.jpg

I've got no bias either way as I already have the SSC and I'm also getting the HT to display on the bike with cloak to go with my Tatooine dio's.

Not sure how people can say the headsculpt is miles better on either one - they both have their pros and cons. Personally, the overall shape/sculpt of the SSC looks better to me, but the color, and having pers, is where the HT obviously shine.

Luckily we're spoilt for choice!

Back