Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

If it’s more than $299 then they priced me out.

DX Jack Sparrow was $265, while his base was pretty elaborate, overall I think it's not comparable to the Sith speeder, I could see this being over $300, wonder if they'll include lights in the speeder as well, they seem to not show that off at cons, the Emperor's throne never had lights on at any shows.

Perhaps the pers panel is under the head where it attaches to the neck post. This would be ideal.

Yep, I think this is the general consensus. Can't imagine HT would do a removeable panel in the back.

This actually looks pretty finished, and I recall Howard said last year there are 2 DX's in the works. Jack Sparrow was one, possibly Maul is the second. As it's been a while since Jack was released maybe we'll get this guy quite soon.

I'll be very interested in the price though. Jack was $265 (maybe they increased the price for waitlist ???). With 2 different sculpts and also PERS eyes. Also a lot of accessories (which may have been available from previous releases I guess).

jack.jpg

DX Jack Sparrow was $265, while his base was pretty elaborate, overall I think it's not comparable to the Sith speeder, I could see this being over $300, wonder if they'll include lights in the speeder as well, they seem to not show that off at cons, the Emperor's throne never had lights on at any shows.

star-wars-emperor-palpatine-deluxe-version-sixth-scale-figure-hot-toys-903110-01-3.jpg

Jeez the last 14 pages are just Maulfans denial and justification for the SS figure. Let it go man!! As you can see most people are not in agreement with you. Upgrade or don't! But can we just talk about the new release and not how you're still so happy with the SS version every other post?

Thank you.
Thinking you need to let it go. :lol

This is pretty typical figure discussion. It’s called “comparison and critique.” The same thing has happened with every single new version of Vader that’s come out.

Plenty of nuthuggers in those threads too.

So my prediction

One single DX release. 399.99

No other options , not lesser release.

HT: “ Take that nerds”

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....
That seems a bit too high. I’d say $270, tops.

Perfect figure to include movable eyes with. I'm not a fan of those convention pictures, but this made me change my mind.

attachment.php

The engraved tattoos are a weird design choice though. Hopefully his head is held on magnetically so there's no ugly PERS panel on the back of his head.

I bet it is on there magnetically like TDK Bats. That would be the smart thing to do. The PERS on this thing looks amazing and just made it a must have figure for me.

I have the ss Maul which is cool but I’m definitely in for this one as well.Hot toys needs to address the lack of ankle articulation,add a robe and of course the loose limb problem that affects most sideshow figs.Sign me up!

Gotta say the new images of the sculpt are pretty impressive... love the PERS on this one; adds a lot of cool potential. I'm not saying I'll buy; but this is the most interested I've been in a PT figure in a long while.

Oh, and I did PO the Sith Anakin from HT, but I was thinking of that more as a flip :lol But maybe not now :lol

Thinking you need to let it go. :lol

This is pretty typical figure discussion. It’s called “comparison and critique.”

That's all I'm out to do, engage in a conversation, that's the whole point of coming to this site, it's boring to read 100 pages of "got mine" or "day one order", it's nice to actually discuss these pieces, and for me, Maul is a subject on which I'm passionate about and I'm going to speak about it. I'm not slave to any brand, I'm out for pieces that speak to my personal tastes regardless of who it comes from.

I bet it is on there magnetically like TDK Bats. That would be the smart thing to do. The PERS on this thing looks amazing and just made it a must have figure for me.

Hasn't sold me on the entire figure, BUT, has sold me on pursuing the portrait, PERS will expand my options for photography and how can I pass that up with one of my most favorite characters. There have been some things I've wanted to do where the static eyes on Sideshow have limited me.

I have the ss Maul which is cool but I’m definitely in for this one as well.Hot toys needs to address the lack of ankle articulation,add a robe and of course the loose limb problem that affects most sideshow figs.Sign me up!

I'd wait for more pics on the ankles, posing at Cons is not always the best, often rushed, some of the robed figures like ROTS Obi-Wan don't look their best persay, but with all the press on preview night, they don't get the attention in setup that we would do for our shelves, and overall HT quality can sell their product without that attention.

It's very possible the ankles are fine already and it was just quick posing to get him on the display.

^ Yes, it definitely adds to the fun of taking pics of these guys. I think the two things I’d like to see for this is no sculpted tat lines and good ankle articulation. Other than that I’m sold.

Agree on both points...the magnetic neck system works great on both TDK bats...and gives easy access to the eye area.
I'm still not sold on the likeness to Park but the pers system really lifts this to another level....and along with the speeder and accessories this is a must have for me too.

Agree on both points...the magnetic neck system works great on both TDK bats...and gives easy access to the eye area.
I'm still not sold on the likeness to Park but the pers system really lifts this to another level....and along with the speeder and accessories this is a must have for me too.

Maul is one of those characters for me that if they can get the likeness close to RP I’m ok with it. I think it’s because of the make up but I have a hard time seeing likeness issues with this or SSv2.

That's all I'm out to do, engage in a conversation, that's the whole point of coming to this site, it's boring to read 100 pages of "got mine" or "day one order", it's nice to actually discuss these pieces, and for me, Maul is a subject on which I'm passionate about and I'm going to speak about it. I'm not slave to any brand, I'm out for pieces that speak to my personal tastes regardless of who it comes from.

Hasn't sold me on the entire figure, BUT, has sold me on pursuing the portrait, PERS will expand my options for photography and how can I pass that up with one of my most favorite characters. There have been some things I've wanted to do where the static eyes on Sideshow have limited me.
Yep. It’s surprising how many members just come on to throw in their obligatory “got mine” or “pre-ordered” notification without even actually discussing the figure.

It’s worse when it’s a Hot Toys figure. Besides dealing with the cupcake phase blind praise, sometimes a legitimate issue or concern will just get rolled right over by the dozen or so comments that often merely echo themselves. And of course, there’s the passive aggressive nonsense. :lol

Not meaning to offend anyone, that’s just usually how it goes. :dunno

Depends on what moment you compare to, using that image, Sideshow has the better "neutral intensity" look, but HT's portrait reminds me of the moment when Maul's looking down at Obi-Wan just for Obi-Wan leaps up to kill him.

52677848-c4d8-4e5c-9d6d-462e73f201b2-screen-shot-2018-05-18-at-123743-pm.png

How will the PERS work on this? There's no way to cover the access area, he doesn't have hair or anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Adjustable through a series of multiple horn twists, I hope

Depends on what moment you compare to, using that image, Sideshow has the better "neutral intensity" look, but HT's portrait reminds me of the moment when Maul's looking down at Obi-Wan just for Obi-Wan leaps up to kill him.
I’d say get both. Since the Sideshow doesn’t come with the robe, just use the one from the Hot Toys and then use the snarling sculpt in a dynamic pose. If Qui-Gon and Obi are right around the corner, surely this will include a teeth gritting facesculpt.

Hot toys tats way more accurate, cant really tell on the likeness, it all drowns in the makeup :lol

Not true. The tats change in almost every scene. Each figure is unique in that regard. The horn placement is also off at times. Since he wears a robe for half of his screen time, you can’t tell that one as much, except in a few instances.

Back