Hot Toys- DX14- Mime version Joker... didn't see this coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape and panel, OK. Anything else?

That panel is really a huge deal. It's what makes it really obvious that this is a toy and not a miniature person. Say what you want about DX12, but it doesn't have any one huge glaring flaw that kills the suspension of disbelief like that. It's all the more frustrating because it wasn't necessary - no reason they couldn't use the same solution used for DX02 and DX12.

I'm not saying it's not a great figure, I'm just saying your argument conveniently leaves out the one huge glaring flaw that DX09 had.

Of the figures released that year, though, I think DX08 trumps both DX09 and DX12 in terms of production and impressiveness.

A flesh repaint of this headsculpt might make an excellent Mob scene Joker. Someone would have to release a clothing set, though.

That panel is really a huge deal. It's what makes it really obvious that this is a toy and not a miniature person. Say what you want about DX12, but it doesn't have any one huge glaring flaw that kills the suspension of disbelief like that. It's all the more frustrating because it wasn't necessary - no reason they couldn't use the same solution used for DX02 and DX12.

I'm not saying it's not a great figure, I'm just saying your argument conveniently leaves out the one huge glaring flaw that DX09 had.

Of the figures released that year, though, I think DX08 trumps both DX09 and DX12 in terms of production and impressiveness.

In light of this argument I hope you equally have a problem with ball-joint heads on high end figures. Wanna talk about killing the suspension of disbelief, nothing does it better than the head looking like it was severed and then plopped back onto the neck.

So how about the eyes on DX12? I don't have the figure but in pics they always look way too big and very toyish.

I've been meaning to respond to this sentiment for a while.

I have no problem with the panel at the back of the DX09 head. I really feel it's the best way to handle that figure. The method used for the DX02 and DX12 would not work well for 2 reasons.

1) The joystick would be near impossible to reach because of the all-in-one cowl/neck design. The tool to reach it would be absurdly long and cumbersome. And any breakage or other problems would be completely out of reach for repairs.

2) The cape is difficult to futz and it would be a huge production every time you wanted to reposition the eyes. With the DX02/12 the head is magnetic, and can simply be lifted of easily without disrupting anything. Even if they could have made the DX09 neck joint magnetic (which I have a difficult time imagining since the design doesn't lend itself to that) the cowl still holds the cape in place.

I literally never think about the panel at the back, though I worried I would. But I am glad to know that I can repose the eyes with such ease at any time.

In light of this argument I hope you equally have a problem with ball-joint heads on high end figures. Wanna talk about killing the suspension of disbelief, nothing does it better than the head looking like it was severed and then plopped back onto the neck.

So how about the eyes on DX12? I don't have the figure but in pics they always look way too big and very toyish.

Out of the box they do, but most have modded them to look better. At least most that post pictures, it seems.

If I had to pick one thing that kills the suspension of disbelief when it comes to the DX12 though, it would be the thunder thighs. They look inhuman at even a glance unless you have them hidden in shadow or behind the cape. But again, this can be modified.

For those that hate the panel at the back of the DX09, they are pretty SOL though, since the is no mod to fix it short of sculpting it - thus permanently cutting off access to the PERS.

Last edited:
6a853733gw1ea22fxds4tj20q913d0za.jpg

^^^^^^^^

:yess::panic::clap

Mine was dispatched over night, can't wait for it to arrive. Think I'm more excited for this than I was for the QS001.

Last edited:
It's being dispatched already?

Well I'm hoping SSC will notify me when they are going to charge and ship.

They will... I am just curious what kind of a notice we will be looking at- 30 Day, 14 Day, 10 Day, etc. I am betting it will be on the shorter side this go-round, probably a 10 or 14 day.

Or at least I hope it is. :) Can't wait to add another Burton Bat-piece to the Hot Toys collection!

Sallah

So pumped to get this. For me, it smokes the DX09 even though that look was more iconic. Figure to figure though this thing kills. As far as lacking accessories, it comes with all it needs and was priced accordingly. (Even though it is $20 overpriced). Besides I/we have tons of stuff from other figures we can use with this guy should we see fit. We all have guns knives and sh8t. Heck, in most pictures i see on here nobody really uses the accessories anyways. Again, maybe a gun or blade..that's it.

As far as it being a weak DX. DX = PERS and this figure benefits greatly from having them, so whats the problem other than it not having enough accessories most of us will never use anyway?

A second sculpt would have made this even more overpriced, so i'm glad they didn't include one because it would have just sat in the box with all the accessories I wasn't using.

So pumped to get this. For me, it smokes the DX09 even though that look was more iconic. Figure to figure though this thing kills. As far as lacking accessories, it comes with all it needs and was priced accordingly. (Even though it is $20 overpriced). Besides I/we have tons of stuff from other figures we can use with this guy should we see fit. We all have guns knives and sh8t. Heck, in most pictures i see on here nobody really uses the accessories anyways. Again, maybe a gun or blade..that's it.

As far as it being a weak DX. DX = PERS and this figure benefits greatly from having them, so whats the problem other than it not having enough accessories most of us will never use anyway?

A second sculpt would have made this even more overpriced, so i'm glad they didn't include one because it would have just sat in the box with all the accessories I wasn't using.

:exactly::goodpost: totally agree.

Except you mean the DX08, the 09 was Bats ;)

Both are great figures. The Mime only wins in the headsculpt department. I would say the DX08 wins in every other department... well except hats. The Mime has a better hat.

Both are great figures. The Mime only wins in the headsculpt department. I would say the DX08 wins in every other department... well except hats. The Mime has a better hat.

The headsculpt is what makes or breaks a figure on these forums though it seems. Again for sure the DX08 is the more iconic Joker look. If you don't own that, I don't see any sense in getting this.

Just a bit ticked off at all the negativity it is receiving. Feel like I have to defend it for some reason. :lol:mad::lol

This figure looks great, the HS is amazing, but the B&W outfit, and the lack of accesories make it feel weak.
Anyway, with the lack of figures of my interest comming out, I have go ahead and preorder this... I have to spend my money on something =/

I still think the DX08 is the better figure overall but the head sculpt on the DX14 probably takes the win.

That is not saying I don't rate the DX08 head sculpt as I love it although TheFiend's modded head sculpt has taken it to another level.

I personally will love having both Jack Joker's displayed and hope for more.

In addition the headsculpt being superior, they really nailed the tie this time around.

On most figures, the bow wasn't big enough on the ties. This? This one looks perfect and just the right size. I can't really find fault with anything about this figure other than A. the forearm socks instead of a chalk white TT and B. it isn't the Joker look I wanted.

That pic above really goes to show how great a companion piece this is to the DX 08. In fact, I could see a whole line up of DX Nicholson Joker variants on a shelf, like they've hinted at.

6a853733jw1dkkkmnea8nj.jpg
969874_470831136329113_983786164_n.jpg

Last edited:
I like the WG comment.
Expressive eyes then expressive mouth.
As you read it, his Jack sig looks at you, then laughs at you. Cool timing.
I asked my guy yesterday if the figure was on its way, and he said, soon.
Those OMG photos are very good and really hi light the head sculpt.
I am looking forward to this one, and agree that the pic clearly shows how well these two can work together as companion pieces.

I wonder if this will be a sleeper hit. I see a lot of green under completed listings when I search "Mime Joker" on ebay.

Back