Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never really understood what was so bad about the little bit of oil leakage.

Is it that messy? Or do people figure that the rubber will eventually dry out because it is leaking its moisture? I never had any of the other Batmen with the issue so forgive my ignorance.

So it begins.

I know one things for sure, I'm not keeping that black paper around the torso, that's ____ing stupid.

Ok, everyone, I hate to be the be the messenger with bad news.
I just took the belt off both my bats to discover this. On both of them. The back of the belt was actually wet with oil.
where the plastic is coming in contact with the rubber, this is obviously why they shop bats with black paper behind the belt.

It's the DX02, Comedian all over again...

:(

And to answer Maglor's question yes he has still got the articulation. It seems that there is just a more sculpted piece behind his abs area.

photo-40.jpg

First, sorry about your wife and I... I had no idea. :(

Second, are we talking slight residue here, as I even get that with my OC Batman (not the Wayne figure from a few months ago but the four year old version), or is it glob-like as it was with the DX02?

My news isn't as bad as Rory's. More of a heads-up.

If you do an arm up pose, expect the suit and cowl edge to be misshapen for a while:

IMG_5572.jpg

Also, if you look carefully on the uper arm just under the part that is all misshapen you can see creases where the sleeve bunches up.

To be clear, all of this (the misshapen suit, creases and wonky cowl edge) all goes away in a few days, and I would think a hair dryer would help it go back to normal faster, but extended posing with the arms way up I can see causing permanent issues.

BTW, I checked and there is no oil on mine under the belt.

I guess it's the same as before with the DX02 and Comedian.
Where a certain type of plastic comes in contact with a certain type of rubber. I have noticed that it only seems to be on the "buckle" which is made from black plastic sprayed yellow, as opposed to the rest of the belt which is yellow plastic,

@Wor-Gar, it's not so much a little oil, whats infact is happening is that the rubber is breaking down/melting, have a look at the Comedian thread to see how serious it is, it basically turns to jelly.

I did notice a slight residue on the neck/shoulders when I first got Bats, thats ok now because the cloak is separating the two. Buy anyone with bats inhand should get those belts off pretty quickly to check. I'm going to back my belt with something to stop the contact. But this doesn't bode well for the longterm well being of Bats. Good luck selling those Batmobiles HT, if all the Batmen are a pile of goo by 2013!
:)

It's exactly this type of knowledge that is why I torture myself to view picture after picture and post after post about a figure that is weeks delayed for me.

Managed expectations.

My news isn't as bad as Rory's. More of a heads-up.

If you do an arm up pose, expect the suit and cowl edge to be misshapen for a while:

Also, if you look carefully on the uper arm just under the part that is all misshapen you can see creases where the sleeve bunches up.

To be clear, all of this (the misshapen suit, creases and wonky cowl edge) all goes away in a few days, and I would think a hair dryer would help it go back to normal faster, but extended posing with the arms way up I can see causing permanent issues.

BTW, I checked and there is no oil on mine under the belt.

That has to be expected though. I know I won't be displaying this figure any differently than any of the rubber body figures I’ve had in the past. It will be arms down, neutral pose.

@Wor-Gar, it's not so much a little oil, whats infact is happening is that the rubber is breaking down/melting, have a look at the Comedian thread to see how serious it is, it basically turns to jelly.

Yikes, didn't know that it actually breaks down. That's messed up. So eventually you'll have a hole eaten away on his belly... like molecular acid, but really, really slow and not very dnagerous. Unless you're a rubber toy.

:lecture but now I know how to defeat this problem.

I just checked mine, nothing yet, but I'm still pissed.

Roryman, you said that there was oil on your brand new, second version that you just recently got?

How can that be when,

1. It's brand new
2. It was shipped with the black paper around the waist?

The first one is about what, a month old? Isn't your new one like a few days!?!

First, sorry about your wife and I... I had no idea. :(

Second, are we talking slight residue here, as I even get that with my OC Batman (not the Wayne figure from a few months ago but the four year old version), or is it glob-like as it was with the DX02?

I don't care about the oil so much as the melting. My comedian is actually ok, but I can feel the change in his rubber harness, other members on here had theirs literally fall apart.

The weird thing is these Bats are from two completely different sellers, and from what I can tell different batches. One of which was actually only unpacked a few days ago, both have the same oil under the belt, so it can't be a one off. By the way, they have been standing in a detolf in a cool room. Anyone who knows my photography knows I don't really bother posing them!, so they have just been standing there.
:dunno

It's almost like you guys are making this oil stuff happen by sheer force of will. Almost like you being totally paranoid about it is causing the problem. LOL

Unless the suit melts (knock on wood) I'd say you're fine. Probably just the plastic on rubber combo.

I just checked mine, nothing yet, but I'm still pissed.

Roryman, you said that there was oil on your brand new, second version that you just recently got?

How can that be when,

1. It's brand new
2. It was shipped with the black paper around the waist?

The first one is about what, a month old? Isn't your new one like a few days!?!

Yes, see my post above, the black paper was taken off 3 days ago.
And yet my previous set was opened what? over a month ago?
Both have oil now. The one in the picture is the newest bats, thats a worrying amount of oil for 3 days.

:monkey4

I'd never buy another figure like this again... Still, we should all chill a bit. People have had this in their hands for months now, and this is the first we've even heard of it... very well could be nothing at all.

Actually someone on FB had an oil problem with his too a few weeks ago, just that noone noticed since it was just the one person. Now there's 2. If there's a third, alarm bells will be going off for me that's for sure

Back