Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually visit this forum quite a bit and have read a lot about the people who purchased that crappy Belloq figure just for the pedestal. But for them to complain about HT doing it too is kind of childish and self centered. There are 100x the # of collectors who did not buy Belloq for the pedestal. Plus, I think Sideshows is more accurate so who cares? HT making it too is not a kick in their face or them cheaping out/half ass-ing this figure.

I still think HTs is overpriced but everything is going up in price, can't say i'm surprised.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol Once again, your post does nothing but belittle from a stance of ignorance. The "cheaping out/half assing" remarks come from HT not being stricter with the sculpt and not even paying attention to basic details with the hat and outfit. From what I've seen, the remarks about the pedestal have been that HT is padding this subpar release with accessories most of us (who they're aiming this $250 figure at) have, in an effort to justify the high price for a figure that's not worth the asking price.

Do yourself a favor. Start on page 50 and do a little bit of reading before making assumptions. They make you look dumb and I know you're not.

HT making it too is not a kick in their face or them cheaping out/half ass-ing this figure.

no.. but it does show a serious lack of originality... if you're going to include a map room disguise.. does it not scream "OBVIOUS" to maybe create a new, never been done before small environment like, say.. a piece of the map room floor... the HT Indy is nice.. but a serious fumble..

The "cheaping out/half assing" remarks come from HT not being stricter with the sculpt and not even paying attention to basic details with the hat and outfit.

I've seen people moan that HT is "half assing" because of the pedestal, in addition to whatever is inaccurate about his costume or sculpt. But whatever, we can just agree to disagree.

no.. but it does show a serious lack of originality... if you're going to include a map room disguise.. does it not scream "OBVIOUS" to maybe create a new, never been done before small environment like, say.. a piece of the map room floor... the HT Indy is nice.. but a serious fumble..

Originality? Serious? That scene is arguably the most iconic from that film, it makes perfect sense for them to opt for that over anything else. I think the fact they threw in the Arab disguise was solely for the fact that they knew some people already had the pedestal and already bought a Sideshow Soldier disguise Indy.

Originality? Serious? That scene is arguably the most iconic from that film, it makes perfect sense for them to opt for that over anything else. I think the fact they threw in the Arab disguise was solely for the fact that they knew some people already had the pedestal and already bought a Sideshow Soldier disguise Indy.

That makes no sense. Using that rational, why would they throw in an accessory that's already been produced? :slap

Because not many people bought it from Sideshow? What's so hard to understand? It's not even sold out.

What percentage would you say of those who would buy the Hot Toy's indy already own a previous 12" incarnation? What about the original EX Pedastal?

I don't get the griping here about the the pedastal. I promise you and overwhelming majority of prospective buyers of this figure DO NOT own the previous pedastal and welcome the addition of the idol pedastal with open arms. And comparisons to previous Indy figures?

Because not many people bought it from Sideshow? What's so hard to understand? It's not even sold out.

What percentage would you say of those who would buy the Hot Toy's indy already own a previous 12" incarnation? What about the original EX Pedastal?

I don't get the griping here about the the pedastal. I promise you and overwhelming majority of prospective buyers of this figure DO NOT own the previous pedastal and welcome the addition of the idol pedastal with open arms. And comparisons to previous Indy figures?

For those who don't understand how it works. There were 1000 exclusive Belloqs released. For the low quantity bar to pop up, there need to be 100 in stock. This means there could be anywhere from 101 to the full 1000 in stock. So just because it's not sold out, doesn't mean Sideshow didn't sell hundreds of them. And judging by how many here purchased it, given the small market fraction we represent, it's safe to say that there were hundreds who did.

I wouldn't have chosen to put the pedestal in this set. I'd much rather have a second head sculpt and enough of an outfit to construct a map room Indy (shirt, trousers boots, and second gasmask bag). As I wrote before, DX01 Joker only required a headless body to make two complete figures, and he was a lot cheaper.

I'd much rather have figures than scenery.

Even if there were hundreds who did, what about the thousands of hot toys/indy fans who didnt? I would imagine a successful run of HT figures probably numbers around 5000... wouldnt that suggest that the pedastal is a good idea? It's just common sense man. Just because 700 people have something doesn't automatically mean it shouldnt be extended to more. There isn't a more ICONIC piece (save the ARK of the Covenant -- that was also produced by sideshow) that would have been better to package with a Raiders indy.

It became obvious early on that Arnie Kim's intense sculpt was from the pedestal scene. Putting the pedestal in the box as well makes this figure too specific. Do HT expect that every buyer will be displaying their Indy in the classic sandbag/Idol pose?

They might as well have released this as a posed statue. Or else that pedestal is just going to remain in the box, gather dust on a shelf, or take up valuable figure-standing room!

I think what bugs most people is how right HT can get it when they want to. The Godfather looked like Brando standing there, Aldo Raine looks like Brad standing there.

Indy should look like Harrison Ford standing there and NOT a waxwork of Vic Armstrong! The true Indy fan wants the best, and if that now means bashing our own then so be it!

CHEERS!

Rog,
if I recall right alot of people criticized the Aldo sculpt saying although it looked like Pitt it did'nt convey the character of Aldo the Apache (smirk, jutting jaw etc)

IMHO I'm not sure I agree it looks like Pitt, but the mustache and haircut might be throwing me

You did'nt mention Stallone in the Expendables. Looks just like Stallone. Beautiful sculpt.---Not the way Stallone looks in The Expendables or on recent tv interviews---But more like Sly 15-20 years ago---I'm sure thats the way he would like to envision himself---and the sculpt he approved.
The headplay sculpt is closer to the current botoxed Stallone
(being just a little sarcastic here)

Jim

The childish ridicule you speak of has been pretty prevalent on both sides of this "debate." And as mentioned, there has been a "blind fanboyism" toward Grove's 1/6 sculpt, as well. I figure we should be able to respect that some folks like this for whatever reason without tossing around pejoratives. As few have disputed, this is probably going to be the best, "out of the box" Indy figure we're going to get, and many folks are going to accept that without feeling entitled to the perfect figure.

To my recollection a few years ago prior to there being an active Indy license out there, Arnie Kim's custom sculpt WAS considered the best out there. (I'm kind of surprised many of you were unaware that HT is not AK's first Indy)--- It was rare and probably expensive, but the few times a came across a picture of it on-line I'd have to AGREE it was the BEST. ( I won't mention the other independant contemporary custom sculptors by name---most were good)

Along came the young talented Trevor Grove who sculpted a couple of HF Indy's for Sideshow. Upon looking at pics of his raw (unpainted solid neck hatless ) Indy's on line I'd have to agree: They are CURRENTLY the BEST. But that's my opinion. (most folks seem to agree the SS paint job did'nt do Trevor's sculpt justice)

Reasonable people have to understand: different artists have different interpretations. Just because most people prefer Trevor's sculpt does not make Arnie incompetent, untalented or lazy. It is a terrible insult to say such a thing. In some posts it has even borderd racial implications. Some have had to gall to contact HT and Arnie personally to tell them to send him back to the drawing board or replace him.
To call his ethics into question is quite different from a keen eyed Indy expert pointing out to HT that the pants might be the wrong shade or the hat resembles the fedora he wore in later films or the color of the leather belts and holsters varied from film to film and is not his Raiders rig.
Jim

:lol

He also tried to steal Indy's wallet! Hot Toys better not try that trick as well!

At $250 what makes you think they're not!? This will be a minimal parts buy at best for me. It depends what gets asked for the clothes. $50 for a shirt I'd dunk in a mug of coffee is quite a lot. I forget how much I paid for the Relic Hunter, but, for what it came with at the time it was worth it.

CHEERS!

Rog,
if I recall right alot of people criticized the Aldo sculpt saying although it looked like Pitt it did'nt convey the character of Aldo the Apache (smirk, jutting jaw etc)

IMHO I'm not sure I agree it looks like Pitt, but the mustache and haircut might be throwing me

You did'nt mention Stallone in the Expendables. Looks just like Stallone. Beautiful sculpt.---Not the way Stallone looks in The Expendables or on recent tv interviews---But more like Sly 15-20 years ago---I'm sure thats the way he would like to envision himself---and the sculpt he approved.
The headplay sculpt is closer to the current botoxed Stallone
(being just a little sarcastic here)

Jim

I actually think the HT Sly is better than the Headplay one, that has an ugly neck join no matter which body you put it on. Sly obviously wanted to be seen in his prime and wouldn't have approved a sculpt if it depicted how he actually looks.

Harrison, you would think, would also want to approve a sculpt of him in his prime, which he was in Raiders. I just can't wait to get my Ezio body and start work on the Indy I really want to see.

CHEERS!

At $250 what makes you think they're not!?

If they start putting things right it won't be so much of a wallet snatch. Yes, it's expensive for what it is. But if the parts are right, then it will eventually have a value worthy of this cost.

This will be a minimal parts buy at best for me. It depends what gets asked for the clothes. $50 for a shirt I'd dunk in a mug of coffee is quite a lot. I forget how much I paid for the Relic Hunter, but, for what it came with at the time it was worth it.

CHEERS!

That's the thing. With an initial high cost, the parts are going to command high prices too. I saw pictures of the Relic Hunter gear today, and it still looks like quality, especially for the period and the expected standards of its day (it certainly outclassed the Medi ROTLA Indy).

I see what you're trying to do, but you're wrong. Strip both sculpts of paint and there's no doubt when you see them, which one looks more like Indy. Additionally, comparing both wardrobes, you'll see the same. The bottom line is, at $90, whatever minor errors the Grove sculpt and wardrobe had are forgivable. At $250, whatever errors HT's has are not. Hot Toys' figure is nearly three times the price of Sideshows. I don't see the error in expecting a figure with nearly three times the quality. :huh

:lecture Exactly. Besides the headsculpt argument, HT's Indy's accessories leave a lot to be desired. For $250, at the very least the accessories should be spot on. They have done it before with all their recent offerings so there is no reason for them to screw this one up. Even Dastan had an excellent wardrobe and accessories even if his headsculpt was lacking.

Indy's headsculpt is the biggest glaring error in my eyes. If everything else was perfect then this would all be a little easier to swallow. But the headsculpt is just one thing on a long list of problems. It's all a matter of what one is willing to live with. Could I live with a questionable headsculpt? Maybe, if the accessories were perfect and the price was better. If the head was perfect, I would be willing to forgive a shoddy whip or man-bag (but not the hat since the hat is so integral to his look). Right now, there is simply too much to compromise on to justify the high price. I know many are confident HT will fix the problems before the figure is released, but with so much wrong with him it's easy to think that some issues will not be addressed.

That's the thing. With an initial high cost, the parts are going to command high prices too. I saw pictures of the Relic Hunter gear today, and it still looks like quality, especially for the period and the expected standards of its day (it certainly outclassed the Medi ROTLA Indy).

True, I'm still going to use the Relic Hunter shirt on mine. It's the best of the shirts I have. The belt and bag are really nice too, the bag has a great strap, certainly better than the flimsy SSC one.

CHEERS!

hatdown.jpg

I can't be the only one who see's Harry in this sculpt, can I? :dunno

hatdown.jpg

I can't be the only one who see's Harry in this sculpt, can I? :dunno

We all see it. We just don't see enough of it for $250. I don't expect perfection, but for $250, I expect a sculpt that has a better likeness to Harrison than Wolverine did to Jackman. And while the sculpt is the main issue, it's not the only issue. The hat and outfit need to be majorly retooled as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back