Hot Toys DX Anakin Skywalker (EP3)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:horror Omg your right. We could see Disney say fk SSC and hello HT. :lol

Well i guess it would be cheaper than way. With a release every ? Years.

Seriously thou I think Ssc are doing well but I would love ht quality paint and sculpting. Hence excited for anakin And hopefully a good han to follow. In 2020. Lol

How long is Sideshow's license good for? Once its up, they'll have to re-do everything with Disney I'm assuming. Does it carry through past 2015?

:horror Omg your right. We could see Disney say fk SSC and hello HT. :lol

i think this would be an interesting tidbit of info to know, though i doubt anyone here would have the actual answer to that.

That's actualy a fantastic question, with an equaly intersting answer.

Sideshow dosn't have a lucasfilm liscense. Sideshow has a sub-let deal with Hasbro. However, as sideshow is working on a Lucasfilm property, they still deal with lucasfilm liscensing.

Here is the Breakdown.

Hasbro has EXCLUSIVE rights to make Star Wars Action figures.
So if anyone else wants to produce Star Wars toys, they have to get permission from Hasbro. After the lackluster sales of the series that was the Last hasbro attempt at 1/6th figures, tehy sub-let that to Sideshow. So Hasbro, and in Turn Lucasfilm gets a percentage of every Star Wars Action Figure that Sideshow makes.

Additionaly, Either Hasbro has sub-let the liscense to Takara/tomy for the asian market, OR Medicom. or takara/tomy has sub-sub let it to medicom. Nor certian which way that one went.

This is also why it was Hasbro that shot down the Ashley wood Premium 6 inch star wars line. Though, after they saw the potnetial market for them, tehy made their "black series" which is scheduled for a release this year.

Sideshow then, in turn, Allows Hot toys to make "DX" series versions of figures they have already made, Through a Sub-Sub-Let.

Considering that sideshow releases 4-6 figures a year...

And Hot toys Releases 1 figure every 2-3 years..

The sideshow deal is considerably more profitable for Hasbro than Hot toys would be. As such, I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever.

Was Luke first shown at SDCC 2011?

I THINK it was SDCC 2010. But I might be wrong, going to go check now.

FOund it. Hot toys announced in December of 2010, and first showed Luke in July of 2011...
and then released in Oct-Nov of 2012.

Last edited:
That's actualy a fantastic question, with an equaly intersting answer.

Sideshow dosn't have a lucasfilm liscense. Sideshow has a sub-let deal with Hasbro. However, as sideshow is working on a Lucasfilm property, they still deal with lucasfilm liscensing.

Here is the Breakdown.

Hasbro has EXCLUSIVE rights to make Star Wars Action figures.
So if anyone else wants to produce Star Wars toys, they have to get permission from Hasbro. After the lackluster sales of the series that was the Last hasbro attempt at 1/6th figures, tehy sub-let that to Sideshow. So Hasbro, and in Turn Lucasfilm gets a percentage of every Star Wars Action Figure that Sideshow makes.

Additionaly, Either Hasbro has sub-let the liscense to Takara/tomy for the asian market, OR Medicom. or takara/tomy has sub-sub let it to medicom. Nor certian which way that one went.

This is also why it was Hasbro that shot down the Ashley wood Premium 6 inch star wars line. Though, after they saw the potnetial market for them, tehy made their "black series" which is scheduled for a release this year.

Sideshow then, in turn, Allows Hot toys to make "DX" series versions of figures they have already made, Through a Sub-Sub-Let.

The sideshow deal is considerably more profitable for Hasbro than Hot toys would be. As such, I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever.

FOund it. Hot toys announced in December of 2010, and first showed Luke in July of 2011

:goodpost:

And holy cow, HT is slow!:slap

FOund it. Hot toys announced in December of 2010, and first showed Luke in July of 2011
Released in Oct 2012 correct?
Thanks and wow let's get this moving a little quicker please.

Released in Oct 2012 correct?
Thanks and wow let's get this moving a little quicker please.

Yup, added it to my earlier post as you were asking :lol

As for moving faster, Don't count on it. unless it's Iron man or Batman, or a movie currently in theatres, Hot toys takes their time.... Not to mention Lucasfilm liscensing is ALSO notoriously slow appearently.

If Hot Toys gets the license for Ep VII I bet they will frenzy all over the line like they do IronMan currently. Being at the end of the tit for milk on their current line is probably more of an exhibition to show Star Wars fans what they could be getting.

If Hot Toys gets the license for Ep VII I bet they will frenzy all over the line like they do IronMan currently. Being at the end of the tit for milk on their current line is probably more of an exhibition to show Star Wars fans what they could be getting.
I just don't see that happeneing, however. For the reasons I posted above.

I just don't see that happeneing, however. For the reasons I posted above.

By using that flawed logic Hot Toys shouldn't be rolling out Joes from Retaliation. Its pretty much the exact same license holders and companies involved only with Disney in the mix who obviously have no issues with Hot Toys producing collectibles for them. Plus, Hot Toys has done Star Wars toys for nearly a decade, they already have a history with the product.

Dang! I saw this thread on the top of the pile and thought "Wow! Really? A real announcement, maybe with a tease image for this figure at last?"

But no....just more speculating in the vacuum HT has created with this long wait between figures....

Well, SDCC isn't that far off at this point...somethin's gotta give here. If we don't see anything at SDCC this year, it's a good bet the ax has fallen on SW at HT....for whatever reason one wants to guess.

It's been extraordinarily long from the big "Hey, HT's doing Star Wars" to now...with one figure in the "line" ...a figure that can still be found at retail out there....c'mon HT, snap outta that carbonite block and give us somethin' already!

By using that flawed logic Hot Toys shouldn't be rolling out Joes from Retaliation. Its pretty much the exact same license holders and companies involved only with Disney in the mix who obviously have no issues with Hot Toys producing collectibles for them. Plus, Hot Toys has done Star Wars toys for nearly a decade, they already have a history with the product.
:exactly: Pretty much.

Yes, agreed that the current offering from hottoys are extremely slow. Yet this may have more to deal with restrictions placed on them. We know hottoys can pump out figures if need be, as they have done for the marvel lines.
I think there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle...some maybe moving towards hottoys getting their own agreement through hasbro.
Hottoys is now the official distributor of the hasbro starwars line in asia. This, I do not believe is coincidence , given Howard Chan's love of Star Wars.
I think we will see a specific liscence given to hottoys in the near future for at minimum the new trilogy. Given the current agreements are probably for the first 6 movies.
I could be wrong, but we are all aware of the demand in this market for hottoys to have an official star wars line...its money that will not be left on the table by Disney in my humble opnion.

Think of it this way, Hot toys is making movie joes, which is liscensed to them through Hasbro, but Hasbro OWNS that liscense. its theirs to do with as they like. While we know that hasbro has Exclusive Star Wars action figure rights, they don'w OWN the rights to star wars. There are likely SOME limitations on it. We DO know they have liscensed the 1/6th rights to Sideshow, who in turn offered Hot toys to do a DX series of their already released figures. but at the end of the day, we don't know how much freedom hasbro has with the liscense.

We DO know there is an american market sub-liscense liscense, and a asian market sub-liscense.
but beyond that, it goes deep into speculation teritory.

Yes, agreed that the current offering from hottoys are extremely slow. Yet this may have more to deal with restrictions placed on them. We know hottoys can pump out figures if need be, as they have done for the marvel lines.
I think there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle...some maybe moving towards hottoys getting their own agreement through hasbro.
Hottoys is now the official distributor of the hasbro starwars line in asia. This, I do not believe is coincidence , given Howard Chan's love of Star Wars.
I think we will see a specific liscence given to hottoys in the near future for at minimum the new trilogy. Given the current agreements are probably for the first 6 movies.
I could be wrong, but we are all aware of the demand in this market for hottoys to have an official star wars line...its money that will not be left on the table by Disney in my humble opnion.

I will say it is possible that the medicom liscense might get reassigned to Hot toys, especialy considering they do now have a working relationship with hasbro represented by this, and the joe movie line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back