HOT TOYS "Dog Alien" ALIEN3 FIGURE!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if the legs aren't posable...I'll still get it.
All I'd have to do is reposition them using hot water.

I as well was hoping to pose it like this, though now it looks like we wont be able to, this was gonna be my first Hot Toys alien, and it looks like they broke off the deal. as others said, I hope this is a prototype, early rendition. Everyone wants the queen face hugger, I say to hell with the face hugger, I want the queen chest burster!

hells yeah!!!!!

hansingdogalien2.jpg

This is the A:R alien.

As for having faith in HT...
I'm trying real hard not to be negative, but it's getting mighty difficult.

Accuracy-wise, HT's track record is ^^^^e with the aliens.

AvP was the only time they got it right, and not even that one's quite perfect. But close enough for me.
Then they did Grid with horrible paint apps.
Then the exclusive brown alien which is not movie accurate to anything, but hey! it's an alien, right?
Then the Aliens warrior fiasco. Not even close to accurate and breaks if you only look at it wrong.
Then the brown version of the Aliens warrior. By all accounts more durable, but just as inaccurate, except this time around in brown tones.
Then they gave us the AvP-R alien. Mostly accurate, but then they had to go and re-use the feet from the Aliens warrior. Wow. Kudos for that. :rolleyes:
(EDIT) And then there was the Predalien. Not accurate, and to be honest they didn't even improve on it.

Have I missed anything?

Seriously, I think HT don't give a ^^^^ about accuracy when it comes to aliens, they just think they can put an elongated head, some tubes and some exposed ribs and voilá, there's an alien!
And I suppose that that's alright with the majority of fans. But then there's the über anal retentive accuracy nazi (i.e. me) who really cares about these creatures and their design. And it's just very sad to see that this amazing chance to have fantastic figures of these most iconic of monsters squandered because some head honcho just doesn't care enough about these movies and the fans.
I suppose The Man is a Predator fan and doesn't give a ^^^^ about Alien, except to make money off it.

It doesn't really cost more to sculpt an accurate alien than to have "artistic interpretation". So why do they do this crap?

I mean, this isn't a Takeya statue. It's a ^^^^ing action figure that comes from a line called "Movie Masterpieces". Not "Artistic Masterpieces Inspired By Movies".

I'm all for diversity, but then don't call it Movie Masterpiece.
Call it "My Take On The Alien Because I don't Give A ^^^^ About Accuracy And I want To Do My Own Thing".

I suppose I'm just going to save a lot of money on alien figures and invest it somewhere else. Unless HT really do something unexpected. Like making an accurate figure.

I feel much better now. :D

AvP was the only time they got it right, and not even that one's quite perfect. But close enough for me.
Then the exclusive brown alien which is not movie accurate to anything, but hey! it's an alien, right?
Then the Aliens warrior fiasco. Not even close to accurate and breaks if you only look at it wrong.
Then the brown version of the Aliens warrior. By all accounts more durable, but just as inaccurate, except this time around in brown tones.

Amen Brother

Then they gave us the AvP-R alien. Mostly accurate, but then they had to go and re-use the feet from the Aliens warrior. Wow. Kudos for that. :rolleyes:
(EDIT) And then there was the Predalien. Not accurate, and to be honest they didn't even improve on it.

Have I missed anything?

Seriously, I think HT don't give a ^^^^ about accuracy when it comes to aliens, they just think they can put an elongated head, some tubes and some exposed ribs and voilá, there's an alien!
And I suppose that that's alright with the majority of fans. But then there's the über anal retentive accuracy nazi (i.e. me) who really cares about these creatures and their design. And it's just very sad to see that this amazing chance to have fantastic figures of these most iconic of monsters squandered because some head honcho just doesn't care enough about these movies and the fans.
I suppose The Man is a Predator fan and doesn't give a ^^^^ about Alien, except to make money off it.

It doesn't really cost more to sculpt an accurate alien than to have "artistic interpretation". So why do they do this crap?

I mean, this isn't a Takeya statue. It's a ^^^^ing action figure that comes from a line called "Movie Masterpieces". Not "Artistic Masterpieces Inspired By Movies".

Call it "My Take On The Alien Because I don't Give A ^^^^ About Accuracy And I want To Do My Own Thing".

I suppose I'm just going to save a lot of money on alien figures and invest it somewhere else. Unless HT really do something unexpected. Like making an accurate figure.

I feel much better now. :D

Amen my brother, amen

Then they gave us the AvP-R alien. Mostly accurate, but then they had to go and re-use the feet from the Aliens warrior. Wow. Kudos for that.

Have I missed anything?

I feel much better now.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Hopefully someone at hot toys is reading this thread, and they start getting serious when it comes to the Alien line. From the pics at SDCC, the dog alien is shaping up to be the worst one yet :monkey2:monkey2

to be fair, camerons aliens were brown, he wanted them to have the tone of cockroches, but i'm not familiar with the inaccuracies of the aliens warrior alien, it looks pretty close to what we see in the movie

it looked like the back leg had that extra dog hind leg joint. i guess it's standing on tippy toe? :huh you sure are alien observant. does anyone you know look at your collection and say, abake, the color just isn't right. :lol i have found that we are in an imperfect world, and obsessing over small flaws or mistakes in design will just contribute to your insanity. have you been fitted for your straight jacket yet? :rotfl

it looked like the back leg had that extra dog hind leg joint. i guess it's standing on tippy toe? :huh you sure are alien observant. does anyone you know look at your collection and say, abake, the color just isn't right. :lol i have found that we are in an imperfect world, and obsessing over small flaws or mistakes in design will just contribute to your insanity. have you been fitted for your straight jacket yet? :rotfl
The easiest way to tell it's the A3 Alien is it has the 4 back spines.tubes.

Nah, they still have to find a new term to define my type of illness! :lol

But yes, the A:R aliens' legs and the dragon's legs have similar structures. Basically, they're walking on the balls of their feet. The "extra" joint is the ankle in both cases. Some call them "dinosaur" legs, others "dog" legs.

As I said, most fans don't mind, they just see the elongated head and the back tubes and some ribs and say "kick ass alien", which is great. But then there's us geeks.
Just like there are Pred-geeks and SW-geeks who obsess over the length of a tusk or the placing of a button. And don't even get me started on the WWII geeks! :lol That is where the term accuracy (or stitch) nazi was born.

Yeah, it's what I was thinking...

Anyway, having thrown my fit, I feel much better about the figure now.
Still waiting for more pics to make my mind up though.

dudes it's an early prototype, i'm sure ( hope to be right...) if not begin to send tons of mails at HT before they release this piece

to be fair, camerons aliens were brown, he wanted them to have the tone of cockroches, but i'm not familiar with the inaccuracies of the aliens warrior alien, it looks pretty close to what we see in the movie

It's that old chestnut again - accurate to the prop, or accurate to what we see on screen?

Let's face it, if people wanted a 100% Aliens Warrior, we'd be looking at a GI Joe in a black leotard, with a couple of bits of painted up padding, some gloves, and an Alien "hat". And who'd want that?

The Hot Toys Aliens Warrior looks like how I remember them looking in the film. That's to say, like this:

aliens064.jpg

Blue/black, in the shadows, sorta more rubbery and insect like, compared to the more mechanical look of the first film. I mean, who watched Aliens and thought "Oh yeah, those things are brown"?

Similarly, the NECA alien does a good job of looking like a specific prop, but falls short of how it looks on film. Both approaches are good, but personally I prefer a more impressionistic look that captures the feel of how they looked on screen, to 100% prop accuracy. The Hot Toys figures do this admirably.

Just my two penneth. :)

Yeah, it's what I was thinking...

Anyway, having thrown my fit, I feel much better about the figure now.
Still waiting for more pics to make my mind up though.

I wondered if you would have to go through all this....
We got snookered bro. And, with the ALIEN coming one day, better get used to the fact that HT is not gonna make him exact either. No way.

I will admit to disliking the legs a lot. They are OK, to anyone that is not familiar with this Alien's lines, but they are way off to those that do. It is a compromise figure. And a tad smallish if I may say.
Anyway, it's not like I won't get one, just with less enthusiasm. I have my repainted Tsukuda model, and it is dead on, just a bit too large.

Still, customizing this one might be fun. Who knows. Cheer up Abake!

It's that old chestnut again - accurate to the prop, or accurate to what we see on screen?

Let's face it, if people wanted a 100% Aliens Warrior, we'd be looking at a GI Joe in a black leotard, with a couple of bits of painted up padding, some gloves, and an Alien "hat". And who'd want that?

The Hot Toys Aliens Warrior looks like how I remember them looking in the film. That's to say, like this:

aliens064.jpg

Blue/black, in the shadows, sorta more rubbery and insect like, compared to the more mechanical look of the first film. I mean, who watched Aliens and thought "Oh yeah, those things are brown"?

Similarly, the NECA alien does a good job of looking like a specific prop, but falls short of how it looks on film. Both approaches are good, but personally I prefer a more impressionistic look that captures the feel of how they looked on screen, to 100% prop accuracy. The Hot Toys figures do this admirably.

Just my two penneth. :)

I agree with you to a certain degree...
The fact is the Aliens warriors could look like the two animatronic puppets pictured here (upper left corner on the screen and top center):

ALIENWARRIORDRONEChart3Aliens01.jpg

There were even full body animatronics made. Essentially, the Aliens warriors should look like the Nostromo alien, except for the head, forearms and feet.

The "guy in a suit" argument doesn't really hold, IMHO. NECA's alien is the guy in a suit, but it looks great because the "guy in a suit" was Bolaji Badejo. In Cameron's film we have the great puppets to use as reference, just like we have the rod puppet as reference for A3.

Thanks Les!
Yeah, I know you had the same kind of reaction to the Aliens warrior. You've been there...
Oh well, some day.

Check your PM! :D

Sure, they could have made it look like that top left picture.

But my point is, at no point did it look like that in the film. I agree that the details like the rib-cage etc are off, but the overall impression that the Hot Toys figure gives, is the same impression you get from the Aliens on screen.

I think the people making these figures have kind of a tough call to make. If you aim for prop accuracy, you're going to have people saying "But it doesn't look like that in the film" and if you make it more like what the overall impression of the creature was, with all the lighting and all, you'll have people saying it's not accurate.

Back