Hot Toys Death Star Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really wish they didn't redo the original cut-sew on this. The original proto had a better look.

This newer version has a less crisp cut-sew and almost looks like its using 1998 Hasbro felt as the fabric. And how they made the original kinda-ugly gloves (re-use from Imperial Gunner) even more ugly I have no idea.

Still hoping they add more length to the helmet's rear flare by the time the fig's put up. It needs at least another 30%.

It definitely feels like even in the best of all worlds, this fig in-hand is going to be no better than the middling-meh level of the HT Imperial Gunner. Would have been awesome to see HT hit a DST to the levels of the HT Snowtrooper or Tarkin, but after total crap like the HT Tusken and Jawa + power droid, not sure that type of level is even do-able by HT anymore.

and regardless of this, there's no HT Death Squad Commander.
There is no Death Squad Commander in the movie either.
They wouldn't just make up character looks and names for the cards, ....would they?:wink1:

Last edited:
There is no Death Squad Commander in the movie either.
They wouldn't just make up character looks and names for the cards, ....would they?:wink1:

IMG_3499.jpeg

A few years ago I would have bought multiple Death Star troopers, probably 4. Now, I’ve lost so much enthusiasm for the hobby that I don’t even know if I want it anymore. Or anything for that matter. The lack of space, cost, the rotj anniversary dud, and rebuying the same figures over and over has definitely turned me off of the hobby. Maybe if we get a few rotj announcements I’ll feel better, but right now, it’s anakin, padme, rotj C3po, rotj Vader and I’m done for the time being.

A few years ago I would have bought multiple Death Star troopers, probably 4. Now, I’ve lost so much enthusiasm for the hobby that I don’t even know if I want it anymore. Or anything for that matter. The lack of space, cost, the rotj anniversary dud, and rebuying the same figures over and over has definitely turned me off of the hobby. Maybe if we get a few rotj announcements I’ll feel better, but right now, it’s anakin, padme, rotj C3po, rotj Vader and I’m done for the time being.

I feel the same way. I've passed on quite a number of figures (not just Star Wars) lately and I find myself not regretting it. When I have picked figures up, they have been either during a sale (if newer) or at a discount (if older). There are a few licenses/lines that still hold my interest but Star Wars is unfortunately fading fast, especially with all of the newer Disney+ shows. With prices getting beyond ludicris, it only makes things easier.

I still want this DS Trooper, though... :wink1:

I feel the same way. I've passed on quite a number of figures (not just Star Wars) lately and I find myself not regretting it. When I have picked figures up, they have been either during a sale (if newer) or at a discount (if older). There are a few licenses/lines that still hold my interest but Star Wars is unfortunately fading fast, especially with all of the newer Disney+ shows. With prices getting beyond ludicris, it only makes things easier.

I still want this DS Trooper, though... :wink1:
I would probably get the dst. Who am I kidding? I actually think I may just purge all of my non ot figures. I like them, but I’m just running out of real estate. My main focus now are ot and 66 Batman from mars. I’ll see how I feel once the rest of the aotc figure’s release. It may be a purge or it may ignite my enthusiasm.

NOT complete --

no HT ANH Tusken Raider...

no HT ANH C-3PO...

and regardless of this, there's no HT Death Squad Commander.
1696461236658.png

I got such a kick out of this when they did the 40th anniversary....good ol' Death Squad Commander...err I mean Star Destroyer Commander...ehhh....I mean Derek Torent 🤣

The original DSC Kenner fig was a great hybrid for kids - 50% Imperial officer like Tarkin (grey officer uniform, rank badge), but 50% DST soldier (gun, gloves, helmet) until the ESB Imperial Commander fig came along several years later.

But yes the logic went astray when the DSC became "Star Destroyer Commander" around the time of the Imperial Commander (in essence an actual star destroyer commander) release.

And the DST pic they chose for the figure artwork is Tarkin's personal button pusher, so he technically could be the "commander" of the "death squad" of DSTs (which are seen in prison blocks and associated with torture.) Interestingly, that older DST seen on the Kenner card has a uniform/outfit that is completely unique across the entire OT, different from every other Imperial and/or DST.

I have a handful of Hot Toys figures in the immediate future (The Batman, Mantis, Tobey Spiderman, Sandtrooper) and then what looks like a year and a half to two year stretch without a Hot Toys purchase.
Hoping that they will release the Death Squad Trooper as a stop gap between the end of Ahsoka and the dearth of new shows.

Back