Hot Toys Death Star Gunner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanna get this guy based on their look in the movie... but I really have a problem with his helmet apparently being way too narrow. ...I can get him for around €240 and just don’t know if I should go for it... I’ll probably regret if I don’t...

IMO this figure is well worth 240 Euros, but the SSC Snow Commander isn't. Gunner is a background character, but the figure is quite neat, displays well with other Imperials.

I just got this one. I’m weirdly unimpressed. My main concern was the helmet, but that’s not what bothers me most. I feel like HT just didn’t bother too much with this one. The boots and gloves feel toyish to me and I really have a problem with the use of this very thin material for the jumpsuit. I know that they had to make it thin enough to go under the jacket, but it’s nearly impossible to get to look natural and it’s even harder to get the creases out of the fabric. Is that the same material as what’s used for Tarkin? Maybe I’ll change my mind about him later, but for now I prefer the latest SSC troopers, like the Tie pilot and the at-at driver. And the HT death trooper for that matter, where it looks like HT actually did all they could to make him as good as possible.
...and like with all HT SW I’m not happy with the base. I like the SSC hexagons much better.
That’s my initial rant... sorry.

I just got this one. I’m weirdly unimpressed. My main concern was the helmet, but that’s not what bothers me most. I feel like HT just didn’t bother too much with this one. The boots and gloves feel toyish to me and I really have a problem with the use of this very thin material for the jumpsuit. I know that they had to make it thin enough to go under the jacket, but it’s nearly impossible to get to look natural and it’s even harder to get the creases out of the fabric. Is that the same material as what’s used for Tarkin? Maybe I’ll change my mind about him later, but for now I prefer the latest SSC troopers, like the Tie pilot and the at-at driver. And the HT death trooper for that matter, where it looks like HT actually did all they could to make him as good as possible.
...and like with all HT SW I’m not happy with the base. I like the SSC hexagons much better.
That’s my initial rant... sorry.

I don't have this guy yet but I would like him if they ever release the Death Star Trooper. I'm sure I'll be a little disappointed when I open him. Honestly any figure without a headsculpt is a little harder for me to love right off the bat.

I think you will really enjoy this figure if you get him.

IMG_2188.jpg

Stickman_IMG_2231.jpg

Now lets get that Death Star Trooper already!!!!

Managed to get this guy for €180. While he’s a nice figure I’m glad I didn’t pay the €250 Forbidden Planet Dublin are charging. He ain’t a €250 figure.

Agreed not a must have character, but i sure as hell beat myself up not having one:lecture

IMG_0221.JPG

Nice to hear of another Irish Collector on the forum. Where did you get him fir €180?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nice to hear of another Irish Collector on the forum. Where did you get him fir €180?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi J, I think we’re already acquainted. I dropped a force toys stormie helmet off at yours some time last year! I got this fella on eBay from an Australian seller. The figure actually cost €157 but with postage came to €180. Having played around and reposed him I’m actually a bit more impressed. He’s a solid addition to my few imperials!

Managed to get this guy for €180. While he’s a nice figure I’m glad I didn’t pay the €250 Forbidden Planet Dublin are charging. He ain’t a €250 figure.

Yes, for some reason I just can’t be really happy with this guy though I loved the original costume... it’s like he’s too idealized or something. I feel like the helmet isn’t clunky enough and that HT went cheap with this one.

Reading through the Art of Solo book i was inspired by the early concept art of the Range Troopers.

A simple custom by adding the WW2 Great coat looks quite effective. Similar to what Imperial officers wore in Rogue One and Solo.
I was planning on adding the fur collar and the Imperial logo on the sleeves, but actually really like how it looks with the pauldron on.

Whats your thoughts on this alternative look?

IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG

There is a displayed set going at around $130. Should I break my rule of thumb for "not getting any pleather clad figure" and get this nonetheless? I'm terrified the pleather will crack over time. But at that price.... decisions decisions decisions.

Yeah even if you don't use it and keep it in the box, it will still crack up over time. Probably will just skip it. But I do want the Death Star Trooper!

There is a displayed set going at around $130. Should I break my rule of thumb for "not getting any pleather clad figure" and get this nonetheless? I'm terrified the pleather will crack over time. But at that price.... decisions decisions decisions.

That will go for any Vader as well, his suit being pleather too.

Reading through the Art of Solo book i was inspired by the early concept art of the Range Troopers.

A simple custom by adding the WW2 Great coat looks quite effective. Similar to what Imperial officers wore in Rogue One and Solo.
I was planning on adding the fur collar and the Imperial logo on the sleeves, but actually really like how it looks with the pauldron on.

View attachment 421057
View attachment 421059
View attachment 421060
View attachment 421061
View attachment 421062
View attachment 421063

In all honesty I much prefer the original look...this wouldn’t be for me but each to their own. Don’t let me curb your creativity!

View attachment 421057
View attachment 421059
View attachment 421060
View attachment 421061
View attachment 421062
View attachment 421063

I’ve skimmed through that book too and think this’ll look cool next to some mimban/mudtoopers.

Back