Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received Vader (and Tarkin) today. The journey begins. :)
I often forget to take any before shots when customizing, so I thought it would be fun to take a pic of the unfutzed HT next to my ROTJ custom. Will definitely take an after shot mirroring this once I finish customizing the ANH (many many months from now).

IMG_6823_2_small.jpg

Swapped out certain parts on my R1 Vader. Changed shoulder/ Chest Armor and the codpiece to ANH V2 to make it much more screen accurate to ANH. waiting for my V2 Tunic as well. here he is in my display cabinet

21o92c3.png

here is s shot of my custom ANH vader. most are from various HT parts from V1 V2 RO Vaders. the mask is a kayidoyo custom done by Hurricane. I added the straps to helmet like the original movie prop did.IMG_0436.jpgIMG_0443.jpg

Hey guys. I collect but have never modded and this is actually not perse a modding question for Vader.

I went to repose him tonight and one of the belt boxes moved and when I moved it back, the plastic grooves the belt go into broke and now it’s being held on by tape. I was pretty bummed but found this and ordered it without much research or thought.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-1-6...663dd38:g:et0AAOSwEElazivk#vi__app-cvip-panel

Am I good here? Seller has good feedback. So long as I get what’s in the picture I should be good?

Hey guys. I collect but have never modded and this is actually not perse a modding question for Vader.

I went to repose him tonight and one of the belt boxes moved and when I moved it back, the plastic grooves the belt go into broke and now it’s being held on by tape. I was pretty bummed but found this and ordered it without much research or thought.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-1-6...663dd38:g:et0AAOSwEElazivk#vi__app-cvip-panel

Am I good here? Seller has good feedback. So long as I get what’s in the picture I should be good?

ur fine. I’ve ordered from him many times. Shipping takes a little while so be patient. Two or three weeks I think to get to you is all.......

ur fine. I’ve ordered from him many times. Shipping takes a little while so be patient. Two or three weeks I think to get to you is all.......

Cool! Thanks for your reply and I’ll be patient. Can’t even tell it’s taped.

DVbqPa6.jpg

I started modding my HT ANH Vader V2 (Tarkin version) today. :)
I thought I'd make a complete list of all the essential and potential mods I want to do to him before I get started, to have an overview of everything to be done.
All parts on the list with a (?) are optional, things I'll decide on as I go along. I'll be updating the list as I make progress, and will try to take photos to document the steps.

Any other feedback/tips/suggestions on the below already?

Mask & dome:
  • Lower dome (sand top of mask)
  • Repaint upper eyelids black
  • Add silver foil behind eyes
  • Remove and resculpt nose plug (matrix noseplug mod)
  • Replace mouth grill with better mesh (?)
  • Weather mask
  • Add texture to inside of dome (?)
  • Buff dome (?)
  • Shorten neck (?)
Chest armor:
  • Repaint/weather
  • File down black stripes to be flush with rest (?)
Shoulder bells:
  • Repaint
  • Place slightly inside/under chest armor (?)
Chest box:
  • Paint thin silver borders around coin slots
  • Drill slightly larger holes on bottom of silver details DONE
  • Weather
Belt boxes:
  • Paint red washers around buttons
  • Paint silver washer around red button
  • Weather
Belt buckle:
  • Paint disc silver or replace with nail head
Robe and cape:
  • Replace with custom made fabric (?)
Crotch armor:
  • Remove bottom strap
Boots:
  • Add gloss (?)
Body:
  • Remove piece of lats & replace with foam (arms closer to body)
  • Switch lower body with T-800 (?)
Other:
  • Replace lightsaber hilt with accurate ANH (?)

Already made more progress than I thought I would.
Just wanted to express my thanks for all the great tips, tutorials, and pictures throughout the thread, they are super helpful while working!

I finished the chest box, belt buckle and belt boxes. The silver borders around the coin slots on the chest box look more sloppy in the photo than in real life. They are not perfect, but good enough I think. For the belt buckle, I sanded down the disc and replaced it with the head of a nail that was the near-perfect size, and has the circular polish already.

I cracked open the head, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Surprisingly the nose plug came out very easily though, I just pushed it out from the inside through that tiny hole.
I don't think I'll be replacing the mesh behind the mouth grill, it would require having to open up the entire face. I might replace the mesh on the chin though. The black part in the picture is from the SSC DX Vader and has the right pattern. I just have to cut it to size and paint. :)

IMG_7012_small.jpg

IMG_7037_small.jpg

IMG_7040_small.jpg

Here my updated list for those interested.

Mask & dome:
  • Weather mask
  • Buff dome (?)
  • Shorten neck (?)
Chest armor:
  • Repaint/weather
  • File down black stripes to be flush with rest DONE
Shoulder bells:
  • Repaint
Chest box: DONE
  • Paint thin silver borders around coin slots DONE
  • Weather DONE
Belt boxes: DONE
  • Paint red washers around buttons DONE
  • Paint silver washer around red button DONE
  • Weather DONE
Belt buckle: DONE
  • Replace disc with nail head DONE
Robe and cape:
Crotch armor:
  • Remove bottom strap WON'T DO
Boots:
  • Add gloss (?)
Body:
  • Remove piece of lats (arms closer to body) DONE
Other:

Already made more progress than I thought I would.
Just wanted to express my thanks for all the great tips, tutorials, and pictures throughout the thread, they are super helpful while working!

I finished the chest box, belt buckle and belt boxes. The silver borders around the coin slots on the chest box look more sloppy in the photo than in real life. They are not perfect, but good enough I think. For the belt buckle, I sanded down the disc and replaced it with the head of a nail that was the near-perfect size, and has the circular polish already.

I cracked open the head, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Surprisingly the nose plug came out very easily though, I just pushed it out from the inside through that tiny hole.
I don't think I'll be replacing the mesh behind the mouth grill, it would require having to open up the entire face. I might replace the mesh on the chin though. The black part in the picture is from the SSC DX Vader and has the right pattern. I just have to cut it to size and paint. :)

View attachment 406568

View attachment 406569

View attachment 406570

Here my updated list for those interested.

Mask & dome:
  • Weather mask
  • Buff dome (?)
  • Shorten neck (?)
Chest armor:
  • Repaint/weather
  • File down black stripes to be flush with rest DONE
Shoulder bells:
  • Repaint
Chest box: DONE
  • Paint thin silver borders around coin slots DONE
  • Weather DONE
Belt boxes: DONE
  • Paint red washers around buttons DONE
  • Paint silver washer around red button DONE
  • Weather DONE
Belt buckle: DONE
  • Replace disc with nail head DONE
Robe and cape:
Crotch armor:
  • Remove bottom strap WON'T DO
Boots:
  • Add gloss (?)
Body:
  • Remove piece of lats (arms closer to body) DONE
Other:

Looking good - I'm doing my microsurgery on the Vader bits as soon as I've finished modding my Hoth Luke and Zuckuss.

To help all of those who aren't happy with their Vader I've been working with someone to enable accurate parts to upgrade the chestbox etc on Your Vader's. His shop is located here

www.shapeways.com/product/ZDU7H5VQJ/1-6-scale-anh-vader-chestbox?optionId=64401836

Hope this helps you guys to make your ultimate Vader.

OMG - that stuff is incredible. How clean are the prints?

They are pretty good. The chest box is scaled perfectly. It was a bit of a task , but worth it.

Thanks so much for doing this!

I’m picking up everything, except maybe for the rods.

I’ve only bought from Shapeways once in he past, what is the best material for these parts? The same materials options aren’t available for every part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was premium strong and flexible.

Yeah, me too.

I originally bought the Acrylic, but after looking at example pics of the material, it looked like it has a somewhat rough texture, so I switched to “Premium Strong and Flexible”

I bought a full set, even the rods. So excited to work on this! [emoji12]

Yeah, me too.

I originally bought the Acrylic, but after looking at example pics of the material, it looked like it has a somewhat rough texture, so I switched to “Premium Strong and Flexible”

I bought a full set, even the rods. So excited to work on this! [emoji12]

Post some pictures when you receive it! Really curious to see how this compares to the various HT versions. If the difference is really glaring, I might decide to try it out as well. :monkey3

Oh man!

The chest panel parts were delivered today!

The rest of the day will be so loooonng... [emoji1334]*♂️

Post some side-by-side pics with the other chestboxes. Really interested to see how accurate these are.

So I finally received my replacement belt from overseas and it’s from the Tarkin Vader 2 pack and what’s with the metal stud to the right of the buckle when facing him? Checked my Star Wars costume book and it’s not part of the get up.

Can’t wait to see how the parts turn out. I was checking shapeways last week and was surprised to see those on there. I’m presently using the Kaiyodo chest box for my ESB Vader but would love to see how those turn out for my eventual ANH custom. I scored a full set of anh gloves last night on eBay for crazy cheap so excited to put together another Vader.

Back