Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I’ve found a solution for the incorrect grill.

You can see below the ‘grill” is just a flat surface with tiny holes.
d1f2248b8f4655ef144ac003b7feaac7.jpg

In the movie it’s a stamped metal mesh in a diamond pattern.
e271d0fc0a0da23e776ed98786e019d7.jpg

I did some searching today and I found some “WireForm Contour Mesh.” It’s used to make the general shape of a sculpture on a wireframe. It looks perfect.
be6ab2f3adb0a2bb5b04fd1caeac6f9c.jpg

I’m going to the art supply store after I leave work shortly to see if it’s the right size.

It comes in a variety of sizes, all small, so I may get lucky. I’ll just put some black foam behind it so you can’t see into the void of the head sculpt.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used this on a air freshener Vader but wasn’t ever able to find some small enough to be accurately scaled. Good luck!

I did some searching today and I found some “WireForm Contour Mesh.” It’s used to make the general shape of a sculpture on a wireframe. It looks perfect.

I’m going to the art supply store after I leave work shortly to see if it’s the right size.

It comes in a variety of sizes, all small, so I may get lucky. I’ll just put some black foam behind it so you can’t see into the void of the head sculpt.

Fingers crossed ��

WTC returns and comes out swinging.:clap:clap:clap

Can't wait. And yeah, the "teeth" and mesh is the thing I hate most about the HT helmet. The "teeth" are too thin and the mesh isn't mesh - and unless you do microsurgery there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Look for some with a 1mm width. That will do the job nicely. I agree on the teeth , it annoyed me so much that I'm resculpting the face and teeth. I've also found that dome shaped nose studs make fantastic tusks.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve decided to try to re-sculpt the “teeth” as well. The teeth on the stock helmet are in definitely too skinny, and on the movie helmet the teeth blend seamlessly into the bottom of the “mouth” triangle.

I'm using 1mm styrene strip for mine. I removed the insert and resculpted the majority of the head.

I'd love to see how your Vader looks now. I remember it being among the best I've seen.

Fingers crossed ��

Sounds funny but check out a frying pan splatter screen...some have the fine mesh in the pattern you're looking for and they're cheap.

51nDgyYq4SL._SY300_.jpg

I tried to take a pic of the splatter screen I have...it's a little hard on the eyes.

IMG_1161.jpg

Perhaps, but the hot toys ones are really bad. This was the best thing I could find ‘off the shelf’ and they look quite good on display.

Oh man....

I think this mesh is right on the money!!!

There's some lens distortion, so in the pictures the pattern looks more oval and larger (for some weird reason) than it does in hand. It's much more diamond shaped and smaller looking to the naked eye.

Check it out!

516abb0c2636fe8dab847e02ea9725e5.jpg

be9ce7eb79671ca7910f34d7565d5b1a.jpg

I busted the tip off one of my tusks during the mod process as well. 3 TIMES!!!

Since I am starting over with a Vader, Rogue One mask, I decided to remove the tusks during the mod process and then re attach them after everything is done.

7a5907388183a3effeb7781b9de0339e.jpg

Here’s the exact brand I got in case anyone else wants to give it a try. It’s 1.58mm (1/16”) so you are pretty much right on the money with the sizing paulcarson.

0d53a1649e80f63295ca2220fe456a42.jpg

Good find. Hurricane uses similar mesh and I was wondering whether his was custom-made or not.

I actually found some plastic mesh that is quite similar on a car model kit.

WTC, are you going to cast up your custom codpiece and make that available (seems like a pretty easy thing to cast)? It's the one other thing that is tough with 1/6 Vaders - all the codpieces look a bit off in different ways.

WTC, are you going to cast up your custom codpiece and make that available (seems like a pretty easy thing to cast)? It's the one other thing that is tough with 1/6 Vaders - all the codpieces look a bit off in different ways.

The codpiece I made isn’t a sculpt, it’s made from four different materials, and at least two of them aren’t easy to come by.

Also, the codpiece I made is I unfortunately still a bit off, so I might have to revisit it, and do a better job.

When photographed at optimum angles it looks great...

f359a0df9c377b2050b0034898defa3a.jpg

But when photographed at other angles it still looks a little rough for my liking.

f1b7bd0b1c4b5f45adedc467bce03b30.jpg

The codpiece I made isn’t a sculpt, it’s made from four different materials, and at least two of them aren’t easy to come by.

Also, the codpiece I made is I unfortunately still a bit off, so I might have to revisit it, and do a better job.

When photographed at optimum angles it looks great...

f359a0df9c377b2050b0034898defa3a.jpg

But when photographed at other angles it still looks a little rough for my liking.

f1b7bd0b1c4b5f45adedc467bce03b30.jpg

It looks terrible actually now that I look at it. Why don't you make a new one and you can send me that junky one?:monkey3:lol

Back