Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing Hot Toys got right was the lines of the suit taper as they get toward the gauntlets. You can see that in the screen shot. The SS lines are more parallel. I'm pretty sure TaliBane pointed that one out to me.

What chest armor is that, Matrix? I ended up using the SS V1 cod piece. Felt the HT one was just too large.

Is anyone planning on purchasing the SS RoTJ v2 suit? I have been considering doing that myself; I am too timid to perform the sewing alterations on the HT suit that were detailed earlier in this thread.

One thing Hot Toys got right was the lines of the suit taper as they get toward the gauntlets. You can see that in the screen shot. The SS lines are more parallel. I'm pretty sure TaliBane pointed that one out to me.

What chest armor is that, Matrix? I ended up using the SS V1 cod piece. Felt the HT one was just too large.

I used the kaiyodo chest armor with SS bells...i just prefer it and it's better scaled

Nice. Wish I had that a couple days ago...i drilled too low and went through the grill. Luckily you can't see it because it's so high under the nose. I stopped....

Considering buying a second helmet now....geez. It's all about patience and thinking it through, not rushing.

Love the look, but even moved back the nose plug bothers me. Though it is too far forward and moving it back helps, the real problem is that raised lip around the outer edge of the nose. It creates an extra "double" line whereas it's supposed to just go from the black curve straight back.

Why they chose to add a separate plug rather than just sculpt something that tapers straight back from the black is a mystery.

Why they chose to add a separate plug rather than just sculpt something that tapers straight back from the black is a mystery.

Yup. It's all about lessening the issue, not solving it. Hopefully the same method isn't used with the Empire version.

Yup. It's all about lessening the issue, not solving it. Hopefully the same method isn't used with the Empire version.

I really hope so. It's supposed to just be a void. A chromed plug really draws the eye too much in such a central area, almost like he has a double nose.

The other thing that always stands out to me is that too-small (and maybe too thin) HT chestbox. The Sideshow ANH one seems better but the sculpt is soft.

I really hope so. It's supposed to just be a void. A chromed plug really draws the eye too much in such a central area, almost like he has a double nose.

The other thing that always stands out to me is that too-small (and maybe too thin) HT chestbox. The Sideshow ANH one seems better but the sculpt is soft.

Chestbox might be a tad on the small size but not enough to bother me, once the robes and belt are fixed closer around it...it becomes a non issue...as for SS ANH version it's all kinds of wrong sculpt wise and is over scaled

Honestly, I painted the Hot toys hands a flat black and then used a small tab of glue to hold the gauntlets down......I am pretty happy with the gloves now. Getting rid of the 'shiny' look to the hands is key

DSCN0884.JPG

Last edited:
Love the look, but even moved back the nose plug bothers me. Though it is too far forward and moving it back helps, the real problem is that raised lip around the outer edge of the nose. It creates an extra "double" line whereas it's supposed to just go from the black curve straight back.

There is no 'raised lip' around the nose...that's just the effect from the lighting...

Yep, I would easily say that with all the little mods the Hot Toys Vader HS is one of the most accurate representations of Vader available.

Are those reference images, reproductions, or the original helmets?

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

that's insane!!!! The only thing that stands out now is the center ridge that runs vertically on the helmet. it's a bit too thick on the HT in comparison to the real deal.

k7669903.jpg

Back