Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say Hot Toys is an excellent foundation to build up from. Add Sideshow and Kaiyodo parts depending on your personal preference.

Unfortunately due to lack of excellent reference material from ANH, and the fact that none of the best parts out there are entirely accurate (even after modifying) once you get to that last 10% you have to default to personal preference for what "looks right."

That's basically it.

Everyone here is pretty helpful with tips and advice so feel free to ask about anything you're unsure of.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Last edited:
Here's how i lowered the helmet/dome..I sanded down the top of the mask until i was happy with how the helmet sat. I then used magnets to reattach it. You could cut a piece of plastic/vinyl to cover the magnet on the mask for a nicer finish but it's no big deal as it's covered by the helmet anyways. What's great about using magnets is that you can position the dome to recreate any of the scenes from the movie... View attachment 256281View attachment 256280

Love this mod. Do you sand at an angle? Also, did you just stuff the magnet in the mask Piece and slide for various looks or do you re-glue every time?

I want to do the helmet mod but am not sure of the angle.

I'm also interested in the specifics of the magnets mod for the helmet.

My HS isn't glued together yet, and a magnetic attachment for the dome, interests me.

• What size magnets are you using?

• Is that gaffers/book binding tape covering the magnets?

• How are the magnets installed?

Thanks!

Anyone know if you should sand the top of mask at an angle or?? How is that done exactly?

Love this mod. Do you sand at an angle? Also, did you just stuff the magnet in the mask Piece and slide for various looks or do you re-glue every time?

I want to do the helmet mod but am not sure of the angle.

I sanded the top of the mask down pretty much level, then you can either glue the magnet on top or slip it underneath which works better when moving/tilting the dome to achieve the different looks from the movie.

I'm also interested in the specifics of the magnets mod for the helmet.

My HS isn't glued together yet, and a magnetic attachment for the dome, interests me.

• What size magnets are you using?

• Is that gaffers/book binding tape covering the magnets?

• How are the magnets installed?

Thanks!

The magnets are from an old sideshow box and are glued in place. Any kind of material can be used for covering the magnet but its not essential

Hey gents,

Is there a secret to getting the helmet separated?

I tried to gently "crack" it off - then used the hairdryer trick, but to no avail. Didn't want to push it any harder as I was giving it a lot of pressure without any real movement. Just a slight "wiggle and crack" - but that's as much as it would go... :dunno

keep going at it! slide a flat head screwdriver in there under the helmet and wiggle. you just need to break the glue bond. don't give up!! courage!!!

My helmet just popped off with just a tiny wiggle. Now it's time to sand it down. Jeez........this is crazy.

This is what I have so far:

1) Arm mod
2) belt mod
3) helmet mod
4) put soot inside the helmet to reduce shine

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Man, I wish I could have afforded one of those dioramas. Gorgeous, Solo_bones!

Back