1/6 [Hot Toys] Daredevil: The Punisher

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not talking about senseless violence. Talking about the core origin backstory of a character. It’s like changing Batman’s parents getting killed by a government conspiracy and now Batman going up against the CIA to get revenge.

Finally completed the team!
rPEJho9.jpg
Just need Ecto-1 now.

Oi! Pampa!

*Sorry, sorry, right actor wrong franchise mea culpa. (Shoreh Aghdashloo being in it too did not help me not make that comparison)

Incredibly tempted to pick this guy up in the wake of the Netflix show, and I fully admit that certain aspects of the show didn't quite work for me personally, though I thought the show was an improvement on Iron "Hi I'm Danny - oh shut up" Fist and the Luke Cage run with it's sudden turn for pantomime in its second half.

(Basically for all that it was very necessary to all of the later payoffs and laid down a lot of essential plot, I thought the show nearly stalled during the whole Micro-Frank learning to trust each other session, and took a good couple of episodes to recover its earlier momentum. Turns out I enjoy reading about characters mistrusting each other more than watching it.)

Then the show completely change who the Punisher really is then. He's got one of the most basic background ever. His family gets killed, the system fails him, so he takes matter into his own hands and then just start waging a one man war making it his life mission. I'm into episode 6 now on the show and frankly I'm disappointed by it, considering I'm a HUGE fan of the Punisher, reading his comics ever since I was a kid in the 80s. This whole government conspiracy ruined his back story, him burning his skull vest on episode 1 and then never wearing it again all the way to episode 6 now is stupid. Billy the Beaut Russo backstory completely changed. Punisher getting all friendly and cozy with Karen Page annoys me. The show just doesn't feel like Punisher to me.

I just finished episode 3. I personally like the show so far but I understand where your coming from. But there’s things that obviously have to be changed to help create a show and give it more “drama” and “story”. Really no different then how things got changed in the walking dead or even movies based off books/novels.

Hope, from now on, he is the badass (fulltime) we want . I understand its not the 80s, and its the beginning of the show, but the esence of Castle going after every criminal (after finishing with the killers of his family) must be there in season 2.

Then the show completely change who the Punisher really is then.

Then it's changed. That's FINE. Change doesn't have to be as scary as comic nerds make it out to be. Perhaps it's possible that a comic book written in the 70s ISN'T the pinnacle of character work and development. Perhaps it ISN'T the best way to introduce the character to a new audience forty years later, in a drastically different political climate. Maybe it's okay for different writers to try different things in different mediums.

The Punisher was never defined by the simplicity of his journey from "huh, they killed my family." to "I know! I'll just kill EVERYONE!"

It was his willingness to do what other super heroes wouldn't. In a time when super heroes were all about save and arrest, Frank said "Just put 'em down for good."

He was at the forefront of a wave of antiheroes, and that's still the case in the MCU; he stands alone in his willingness to kill.

If they had simply said "Here's a show about a white dude who experiences some hardships, and he just SNAPS and decides to murder all the people he thinks are bad!" that was not going to fly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

While I love the 1911 I think it's odd that they have Frank use that as his primary sidearm.

Why are people acting like he doesn't take out criminals? I'm only halfway through the show but he has put down scumbags completely unrelated to his family's death several times. Not to mention when he beat the pawn shop owner in Daredevil.

He is wiping out everyone responsible for his wife and kids, that's his top priority right now, not street crime. He will become that later on I'm sure.

While I love the 1911 I think it's odd that they have Frank use that as his primary sidearm.

Why do you think this?? What would you prefer he used? A Glock?? He makes it very clear several times during the season that he's old school.

Why do you think this?? What would you prefer he used? A Glock?? He makes it very clear several times during the season that he's old school.

Absolutely- which would make since with his military training. Sure we can make the argument what he had available was a 1911 but he killed a lot of guys that carried more combat ready sidearms.

The 1911 has a very limited capacity being a single stack whereas the Glock can hold many more rounds. It just doesn't "look" as cool.

Also 1911 would be a call back to long before his time in the Marines. He does show use of the Beretta 92FS which would be more "old school" for him, however I saw those Force Recon guys use whatever they wanted to qual on.

if you want him to have that mean chin down look so gotta accept fact neck is gonna be scuffed up ey? bites in pretty bad.

I prefer the 1911. Colt made a great firearm with it and it's not one that can be topped for me. I have shot many different pistols and My 1911 colt is still the best. Smooth action and great stopping power. Plus if you look at the 85 mini series its his go to pistol.fcddc64ddf7a80dfb183a241fb6d99d0.jpgpunisher hardcover.jpg

I love the 1911 in fact when a videogame has one in it i like that game just a wee bit more

Not talking about senseless violence. Talking about the core origin backstory of a character. It’s like changing Batman’s parents getting killed by a government conspiracy and now Batman going up against the CIA to get revenge.

I fully agree. I and I understand the concept that the character has to be changed in order to create a TV show for today's audiences. But if a character is too extreme for a TV show, then I think I'd rather they didn't make the show (instead of doing it, but completely changing the character). If they made a Superman show, but didn't have the budget/FX abilities to make him fly, then I'd rather they didn't do the show.
Doesn't stop me from watching the Punisher TV show, but I keep finding it... underwhelming...

The original backstory is that Frank's family got shot by the Mafia at Central Park. The police weren't able to help due to corruption. He decides to take matters in his own hands.

I see what youre saying about changing the original killers from Mafia to military.

In the end, that creative decision seems to fit in more modern times. It added another layer to the Netflix MCU considering the other characters were already fighting crime bosses. It also made Frank's character much deeper than the original anti-hero, kill-all man out for revenge.

Who knows, maybe there is more to it than what Season 1 led on. Instead of police corruption, they replaced it with the military to be cohesive with Frank's experiences in the military. They might tie everything to an even deeper conspiracy involving the Mafia, thus paying homage to the original line.

Keep an open mind.

Back