1/6 Hot Toys - BvS: Dawn of Justice - Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know the suit was rubber. I thought it was made of another material..
Can you link the source of where you found out the suit is rubber?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I didn't know the suit was rubber. I thought it was made of another material..
Can you link the source of where you found out the suit is rubber?

Do you have the figure? What did you think it was made out of? I found it was rubber because I received a defective one from sideshow, and they had me destroy it. After I destroyed it, I examined the remains. It is made out of some kind of synthetic fabric (feels almost like PVC) with a rubber overlay (the pattern).

Two things:

1. Putting rubber in the freezer rejuvinates its elasticity (Google rubber bands in freezer)

2. It is an extra body that will not be displayed, so I can store it where ever it is best to preserve the materials.

So, why are you asking us on whether you should store it in the freezer or not? Sounds like you answered your own question in your above quote by essentially saying it's a good idea to do so? :dunno

So, why are you asking us on whether you should store it in the freezer or not? Sounds like you answered your own question in your above quote by essentially saying it's a good idea to do so? :dunno

...Ok.

I originally asked if any of you have suggestions on storing the new body to preserve it. So, do you? Do you have any suggestions? Anything of substance to say?

I have no idea what the material is made out of. That's why I asked for an actual source.

I can only assume what the material is based on how it feels and based on my experiences with different material. Just because it feels like rubber doesn't mean it is.

Thus why I'm asking for an actual source.

I don't think I can make suggestions or perform "amateur preservation" based on assumptions.
If you can, go for it. It's your figure. I'll keep mine the way it is.

I have no idea what the material is made out of. That's why I asked for an actual source.

I can only assume what the material is based on how it feels and based on my experiences with different material. Just because it feels like rubber doesn't mean it is.

Thus why I'm asking for an actual source.

I am sorry, but the Harvard study on the molecular composition of the Hot Toys BvS Batman suit is not done yet.

...Ok.

I originally asked if any of you have suggestions on storing the new body to preserve it. So, do you? Do you have any suggestions? Anything of substance to say?

No, sorry. However, if you know putting it in the freezer is a good idea and will have good effects on preserving the suit, then go for it. It seems like it wouldn't be to me, but you seem to know more about that than I do. Congrats on winning the extra body. :duff

I am sorry, but the Harvard study on the molecular composition of the Hot Toys BvS Batman suit is not done yet.
Not sure I understand your reaction...

Like I said, it's your figure, it's your risk.

I'm simply asking for the source, nothing more.

No, sorry. However, if you know putting it in the freezer is a good idea and will have good effects on preserving the suit, then go for it. You seem to know more about that than I do. Congrats on winning the extra body. :duff

Thanks.

There have been several Hot Toys figures that had problems with rubber degradation. The ED209, BvS Batman, Chris Redfield, DX02 Batman, and Gamora figures immediately come to mind. I have been looking at old threads and seeing how they dealt with the rubber degradation, and referencing my limited education in Chemistry to figure out what could work to increase the longevity of the suit.

It seems that with these rubber Hot Toys components that people have had the best luck with Honda silicone grease. That makes perfect sense because silicone grease would act as a barrier against temperature and moisture. Silicone grease does not dry out rubber if it is pure silicone grease. The petroleum additives and solvents in SOME silicone products is what dries rubber out.

I wanted to know if any of you had first hand tips and experience dealing with Hot Toys rubber degradation?

I have Hulk, Gamora and Dark World Thor with no issues. I think Gamora was more from bending the elbows and the metal ripping the rubber than anything else.

The only issue ive had so far has been peeling of Avengers Nick Fury jacket but I bought it sealed so the owner didnt know about it. I kinda have the idea that keeping them MISB isnt a good idea as well as humid climates but nothing concrete.

The only issue ive had so far has been peeling of Avengers Nick Fury jacket but I bought it sealed so the owner didnt know about it. I kinda have the idea that keeping them MISB isnt a good idea as well as humid climates but nothing concrete.

I saw that problem on an eBay auction for a Nick Fury coat. They were charging next to nothing for it, but from how it looked it seemed that the vinyl material dried out. I believe this has to do with the vinyl material losing plasticides. In the automotive sector this deterioration happens all the time with vinyl convertible tops. It is really a toss up whether vinyl material will degrade like this. I use 303 aerospace protectant on my vinyl motorcycle seat and it has worked very well to increase the longevity of the material.

I dont think on rubber it works as well. I distinctly remember treating the BvS suit with a generous coat of 303 aerospace protectant, but it still fused/peeled under the arms. I think the Honda silicone grease will do it by acting as a barrier between the rubber and not allowing it to fuse together.

So what would be the best long term pose to keep the figure in to avoid this problem occurring, i keep mine in a neutral meuseum pose, but still it there is contact between the suit under the arms

So what would be the best long term pose to keep the figure in to avoid this problem occurring, i keep mine in a neutral meuseum pose, but still it there is contact between the suit under the arms

Looks like we need to pose him like this...
c1d75361b852111df6ec04ab403f6990.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Why would you buy a new body to put it in the freezer and never see it again, though? Isn't it likely to damage more if you put it somewhere extremely cold and then bring it out into warmth?

I don't think there's a lot that cna be done to protect them as no one really knows what causes it. For example mine has always been in a cool place in its packaging and still got it and I never had the arms pressed in on themselves no more than what the clamshell allows and barely articulated it whilst always wearing gloves. I'm so overly cautious with these figures and it seems being so has damaged them more than learning to let go a bit with them...

Maybe the rubber overlay (if thats what it is) didnt cure properly on some. My batman has had the arms down since i bought it and ive had no problems.

This freezer thing was a joke right? All I said was keep it in cool and dry place as in a room with AC and out sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats very interesting. So, you had it in its box with the little dividers under the arms and it still fused? Was anything stopping the suit from contacting itself?

One possible solution was to use Honda Silicone grease and let it act as an invisible barrier to the suit contacting itself. If the suit doesnt directly contact itself then it wont fuse/peel.

Back