Hot toys Billy Sole......Worth it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never picked him up but I wish I did.

The repaint is a given so you can add at least $50 to whatever you end up spending on the figure itself. Say that ends up being around $130, would you want to pay more than $180 for Billy? That's the real question.

Yeah, I would say pass on it. I was good with the Pred and Dutch. Its not like Hot Toys is ever going to make the rest of the team so unless your planning on bashing the rest of them dont bother.

Try to get him for a good low price (I think the lowest on feeBay is $110-$120 shipped) and get it repainted. Otherwise, pass. Or, like Nam said, if you'd like to build all of the characters, then he is necessary. Of course, you could wait and see if HT makes the others later ;).

HT won't touch the others. But having him standing next to Dutch with the Pred in the background fills out a detolf shelf nicely and you'd literally have to be an idiot, painted or not, to not know it's Billy.

Never picked him up but I wish I did.

The repaint is a given so you can add at least $50 to whatever you end up spending on the figure itself. Say that ends up being around $130, would you want to pay more than $180 for Billy? That's the real question.

Not really a fair question. Billy is $130. I swapped mine to an Advanced TT, picked up a set of woodland BDUs and sent off my head to be painted, but that's me. Honestly, if I hadn't been literally nagged :)p) to send him for paint, I would've been content with the way he looked stock. So "would you pay $130 for Billy?" is a fair question. Whether you want to improve the figure is up to you. I spent more on a custom Steel Brigade figure so I have no problem improving Billy.

HT won't touch the others. But having him standing next to Dutch with the Pred in the background fills out a detolf shelf nicely and you'd literally have to be an idiot, painted or not, to not know it's Billy.
QUOTE]

Do you know why HT never went into the other figures? I would have thought it would have been easy for them to do. Maybe it was a licensing issue?? Was there a formal reason given for this?

Do you know why HT never went into the other figures? I would have thought it would have been easy for them to do. Maybe it was a licensing issue?? Was there a formal reason given for this?

They made mention of Landham being difficult for likeness rights. He's a certified _______ though so that's understandable. They said that Weathers turned down the offer they made him for Apollo Creed, so they likely didn't go back and ask for Dillon. Again, I think Jesse would've demanded as much as Arnold so an easy pass for HT. Without him, there's no need for Mac and the other two wouldn't likely sell enough on their own merits to be profitable. In the end though, this should come as no surprise considering HT's NEVER seen a single line through to completion.

They made mention of Landham being difficult for likeness rights. He's a certified _______ though so that's understandable. They said that Weathers turned down the offer they made him for Apollo Creed, so they likely didn't go back and ask for Dillon. Again, I think Jesse would've demanded as much as Arnold so an easy pass for HT. Without him, there's no need for Mac and the other two wouldn't likely sell enough on their own merits to be profitable. In the end though, this should come as no surprise considering HT's NEVER seen a single line through to completion.

IC thanks for the update... too bad. I wonder what HT pays these guys for their likeness?

Not really a fair question. Billy is $130. I swapped mine to an Advanced TT, picked up a set of woodland BDUs and sent off my head to be painted, but that's me. Honestly, if I hadn't been literally nagged :)p) to send him for paint, I would've been content with the way he looked stock. So "would you pay $130 for Billy?" is a fair question. Whether you want to improve the figure is up to you. I spent more on a custom Steel Brigade figure so I have no problem improving Billy.

Ski nagged you till you repainted it? :lol Did he do it for you?

Well, obviously I was just listing what I'd do. I'd have a tough time leaving that blond hair as is... as for the BDUs you know my opinion on upgrading boots, and for me the ones he comes with are more than adequate. How does he look on a TT advanced? I could see going that route for the added articulation.

Wasn't AVP and AVP-R seen through?

Ski nagged you till you repainted it? :lol Did he do it for you?

Well, obviously I was just listing what I'd do. I'd have a tough time leaving that blond hair as is... as for the BDUs you know my opinion on upgrading boots, and for me the ones he comes with are more than adequate. How does he look on a TT advanced? I could see going that route for the added articulation.

I used the Wesker bod and the TDK Batman flesh-toned neck. The Advanced TT is a little too pale for Billy. It allowed me to keep the height and make Billy more realistically proportioned. Plus, now he can actually grab his medicine pouch. It also freed up his muscle body for Blain. ;)

Wasn't AVP and AVP-R seen through?

No humans for AVP or AVP-R. The big oversight was adding Weyland in the release. Would've been an easy sell too. Especially for those needing a Bishop for their Aliens collection. As well, they didn't do an Alexa Woods either. Making the antagonists from a film and foregoing the protagonists does not a complete line make.

I am pretty happy with the Rocky Collection, as it was was pretty complete in terms of the major hero and villans. I think they covered all their bases and threw street Clubber as a bonus. They could have made it the biggest line ever with Adrian, Paulie, Mickey and different version of Rocky from every film, but I don't think anybody expected the line to reach that level.

I am pretty happy with the Rocky Collection, as it was was pretty complete in terms of the major hero and villans. I think they covered all their bases and threw street Clubber as a bonus. They could have made it the biggest line ever with Adrian, Paulie, Mickey and different version of Rocky from every film, but I don't think anybody expected the line to reach that level.

How can you do Clubber without Thunderlips? :lol

rocky3_02_thunderlips.jpg

depends if you count human characters. in that case, no. also, they technically didn't make one of the ancients. and, of course, no queen.

Well one of the ancients was just a scarless Scar in ancient armor. And yea...no dino queen. And can care less about the humans really. Besides Dutch and Ripley. All the other main human characters from the Aliens and Preds lines can die for all I care. Well I really liked the marines...but they all died...I need sleep. :lol

Well one of the ancients was just a scarless Scar in ancient armor. And yea...no dino queen. And can care less about the humans really. Besides Dutch and Ripley. All the other main human characters from the Aliens and Preds lines can die for all I care. Well I really liked the marines...but they all died...I need sleep. :lol
i never really cared about the Aliens marines. they were hackneyed two-dimensional characters. they existed just to get killed off. but i still would really like a Bishop figure though. the team in Predator was definitely much more fleshed out and i actually cared when they died. i wish the HT Billy figure actually looked like him.

Most of the marines couldn't get fleshed out only because they were written to die early on in the film. But for me the trio of Hicks, Hudson and Vasquez had enough decent screentime to make them likeable - even Gorman had a nice little arc, an incompetent coward at the start to a redeemed comrade by his end.

I liked a few characters in Alien 3 aswell. But after that....what characters?

Most of the marines couldn't get fleshed out only because they were written to die early on in the film. But for me the trio of Hicks, Hudson and Vasquez had enough decent screentime to make them likeable - even Gorman had a nice little arc, an incompetent coward at the start to a redeemed comrade by his end.

I liked a few characters in Alien 3 aswell. But after that....what characters?
now that you mention it, i'd buy a few characters from Alien3. and probably Ron Perlman from Resurrection.

this is all assuming they have the likenesses.
Do any vendors still have these or is Ebay the only place to get one now?
google says 'yes'.

https://www.cmdstore.com/hot-toys-predaotr-doll-12-inch-private-billy-sole.html?cmp=gglebase

https://www.unitoyzone.com/product_info.php?products_id=2914

although, if you ask me, it's still way overpriced for a figure without the likeness.

now that you mention it, i'd buy a few characters from Alien3. and probably Ron Perlman from Resurrection.

this is all assuming they have the likenesses.

google says 'yes'.

https://www.cmdstore.com/hot-toys-predaotr-doll-12-inch-private-billy-sole.html?cmp=gglebase

https://www.unitoyzone.com/product_info.php?products_id=2914

although, if you ask me, it's still way overpriced for a figure without the likeness.

The likeness is definitely there, but much like their Biehn figure from yesteryear, it's covered in paint.

Back