Hot Toys & Batteries - Buying on eBay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW177

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question that may seem silly, but recently I read that if you have a HT Iron Man figure, you should take out the batteries so that it doesn't leak and damage the figure in time. However, if I wanted to buy an IM figure on eBay, and it's MISB/new/whatever, how do I know that I'm buying a figure that has no battery damage? If I sent the buyer an email, they'll probably just say it's sealed so they don't know. I don't want to buy one and have it come in only to find out the batteries leaked and messed up the figure.

Anyone ever come across something like this? Or am I just being paranoid? Please share - thanks! :panic:

I can understand them for not wanting to open it up, it then wouldn't be sealed.

If you are not sure, move on.

I wouldn't worry about damage from batteries.

Ive had all the IM from day 1, all batteries still in them and not corrosion or leaking of anykind, I wouldnt worry, especially cause sealed they have the tabs in em so theres no current passing through them

Ive had all the IM from day 1, all batteries still in them and not corrosion or leaking of anykind, I wouldnt worry, especially cause sealed they have the tabs in em so theres no current passing through them

Not true....

sorry im not an electrical expert, :lol but if the lights dont turn on then id assume theres no current? ( not trying to sound sacastic, I really dont know alot about electricity and wiring or what not) anyways mine have been in them since they were release and Ive had no problems

I've read online that some people encountered their HT War Machine figure had the batteries leak a powder and some others mentioned some of the older figures leaking as well. It also seems to happen to people who collect MISB and not really the ones who open them and display them. Not sure though.

That being said, I still would take mine out just in case but not sure if most collectors do this. Hence if I wanted to buy one on eBay, would I be buying one that's leaked?

Would a MISB look more promising to a potential buyer or one that the seller said he took the batteries out and tested all the lights to be sure? I'm also looking at the prices, but want to hear if anyone encountered any issues like this.

With proper care and maintenance battery leaking should never occur. But do to the random nature of life and people not nowing what is actually in that sealed box there can always be unkown damage. And even with the tabs still in place leaking can occur just due to the climate the batteries are stored in and the fact that a plastic bag wont stop the aging of time on anything :gah:

As soon as I heard about some people experiencing this I checked mine. Thank goodness I did as my mark 3 had started to leak but did not damage the figure yet & many of the others that I looked at had started to expand & corode at the battery seam lines. Funny thing was when I took all my batteries out & put them in a plastic sealed bag for storage, over the course of a few days I would hear a popping sound coming from the bag. It was some of the batteries bursting at the seam! Don't know what was causing it, maybe once I released them from the battery compartment they had the space to expand until they burst.

sorry im not an electrical expert, :lol but if the lights dont turn on then id assume theres no current? ( not trying to sound sacastic, I really dont know alot about electricity and wiring or what not) anyways mine have been in them since they were release and Ive had no problems

Whilst it's true that running a current through them can make them more inclined to leak, it's a chemical process that creates the leak.

Current or not, still likely to leak given enough time.

@Evil Anton: glad you caught it in time and saved damages from destroying your figures!

This is what scares me, that I cannot determine how a seller stored their figures so I wouldn't know if it was leaking/leaked or not when buying. I guess the only way would be to take a leap of faith and see what happens.

Would more people be inclined to buy a figure from a seller who states that they opened their box and took out the batteries or from one who says it's MISB?

Back