Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least he can do that… though this thing just feels "unfinished".
Like Hot Toys kind of gave up at some point and said "let's just produce it as-is".
For something $850+, I expect better than that.

Will definitely wait it out to see if they do the Part II DeLorean, Marty and Doc Brown.

With the Part II prototype, at least there were the Mr. Fusion, hover wheels and lights on the bottom,
so not having the hook pole, time circuit lights and pedals would not matter. I would display it closed up and on the flight stand.

I highly doubt that will ever happen (any of the three), so I guess I am not going to bother with any BTTF stuff.

If they do a Part II I'm guessing it will be priced higher as well, no way it's going to be the same price as this one.

Like Hot Toys kind of gave up at some point and said "let's just produce it as-is".

Will definitely wait it out to see if they do the Part II DeLorean, Marty and Doc Brown.

With the Part II prototype, at least there were the Mr. Fusion, hover wheels and lights on the bottom,
so not having the hook pole, time circuit lights and pedals would not matter. I would display it closed up and on the flight stand.

I highly doubt that will ever happen (any of the three), so I guess I am not going to bother with any BTTF stuff.

No handbrake & white seatbelt sockets!?! Very random.
Edges on the body are way too sharp also, can't help but feel let down with this.

No handbrake & white seatbelt sockets!?! Very random.
Edges on the body are way too sharp also, can't help but feel let down with this.

Hahaha I never noticed the hand brake missing. It almost seems like delorean motor company didn't authorize the full license to use the car (I know that's not true) but still it seems they couldn't copy it exactly...or it's just hot toys cutting corners....so far still getting it as I love bttf and always wanted a larger scale delorean

I'm conflicted. People bring up a lot of good criticisms, but the biggest issue is how to display this without it being awkward once the original thrill wears off.

I recall reading, before the pre-order, that Hot Toys wasn't sure that it was going to put the DeLorean into production due to numerous anticipated production difficulties. My guess is that Hot Toys did end up cutting corners for some things that are less likely to be seen when the car is sitting on a shelf in order to simplify mass production. It's a little weird that they would go so far with a lot of the details and then half-ass the rest... at this price point, we should all expect a great deal of screen accuracy (at the very least, leaving out the hook is a really obvious/stupid omission), but I think I'll be happy with it because, hey, it's a friggin' 1/6 scale DeLorean. Now if we can just get Doc.

I'd blame Hot Toys marketing division for bad choice of release order.

It should've been just plain popularity order
1. Marty McFly (from 1)
2. Future DeLorean (from 1 &2)
3. Future Doc (from1& 2) with (Einstein for DX)

At this point, you can recreate the ending scene of 1st movie.

-If sales are still strong------
4. Marty McFly Jr. & regular 2 heads (from 2)
5. DeLorean (from 1)

Damn I wish we could just straight up ask hot toys if Doc will be made and get a yes or no answer

Someone asked last year and Howard said they are "working hard on the doc figure" but he has said that about several things that have never been up for po.

Hot Toys has a history of halting the development of licenses without getting through the main characters, including after previewing those characters, so we probably shouldn't be surprised if Doc never happens.

I can think of a quite a few examples off the top of my head, some of which may still see the light of day if the long wait for Batman Returns is any indication---Avatar (Neytiri), Lone Ranger (the Lone Ranger), Sucker Punch (Rocket, Sweet Pea and Blondie), Guardians of the Galaxy (where's Drax?), Platoon (Elias and Lerner), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Barbossa), Batman: Arkham City (Joker), Prometheus (Shaw or David), RoboCop 2 (Cain), Batman '66 (Batmobile), Alien (Ripley)........ BTTF (Doc). I'd have bought all of those, but Hot Toys must not have anticipated there being enough sales to pursue production or they're still working out licensing/approvals or licensing/approvals fell through and they can't say or show anything.

Does the car have the brushed metal effect on the body? Going by the look of it, I feel HT cheaped out on this. :(

Damn I wish we could just straight up ask hot toys if Doc will be made and get a yes or no answer
Howard said they were working on Doc a while ago but this is coming from the man who says a lot of things are "coming soon". Either it's still being worked on or the figure has been dumped. They been handling this whole line in a weird order to begin with. Should have released them in a order of:

Marty BTTF1
Doc BTTF1
Delorean Part 1 with conversion pieces for 2
Marty Part 2
Doc Part 2

It really is a half a***** product- I didn't realize there was no lightning pole..WTF?
I'm cancelling PO and waiting for a good discount- if not I can survive without it

Howard said they were working on Doc a while ago but this is coming from the man who says a lot of things are "coming soon". Either it's still being worked on or the figure has been dumped. They been handling this whole line in a weird order to begin with. Should have released them in a order of:

Marty BTTF1
Doc BTTF1
Delorean Part 1 with conversion pieces for 2
Marty Part 2
Doc Part 2

Couldn't agree more Al. Months ago I didn't believe the people who said hot toys wouldn't make a doc, but I believe them now. I wouldn't be surprised if this Delorean is the end of this line, considering that it appears they may have just went through the motions. If it isn't star wars or marvel, any other project is probably doomed to receive low priority. I will probably still get this, but it will feel woefully incomplete without doc.

It really is a half a***** product- I didn't realize there was no lightning pole..WTF?
I'm cancelling PO and waiting for a good discount- if not I can survive without it

It does look a lot like someone decided that this was costing too much to finish properly, and they decided to cut their losses and ship it before fully completing it.

This would explain the inconsistent detailing. As far as I can see, other than the A-frame error on the door, the exterior seems to be well done. In particular, I've not heard any complaints about the time machine/reactor deck, and flux coils, which all look to have a lot of detail to me.

The interior, however, definitely seems unfinished/rushed. I still think it looks ok, but some of the omissions are pretty major - especially the lack of illumination on the time circuits/dash.

So, I'm guessing that they did a proper job on the back end, then ran out of time/money/enthusiasm before finishing the interior.

Possibly they also thought that people would be much more focussed on the exterior reactor/time machine elements than the interior, so put more effort into that area. It's certainly a more visible area.

If this did end up costing a lot more to make than they expected, that would explain them cutting corners at the end, and also not bothering with the lightning rod. It also makes it very unlikely they will bother with the flying version, as that is more complex still.

They definitely screwed up showing a prototype flying model - I bet that cost them a lot of cancelled orders, which in turn may well have reduced the money they were willing to spend on this one. And if this one isn't a success then there's no way there will be a flying one anyway. They'd have been much better not showing it, getting more orders for this, and then deciding whether to go for v2 or not.

Despite its faults, I'm still getting this, as there's nothing else like it available in this scale, and most of the problems should be fixable.
At this price, we certainly shouldn't be having to do these fixes, but since the perfect model doesn't exist, the choice is simply whether to buy this one as-is or not. It's not as if refusing to buy it is going to somehow force them to improve it.

That was a pretty bold move to unveil the Delorean 2 before this 1 was even out. I think it just blew up in their faces. I bet SS said oh no HT just ******* themselves and us too. We're going to get lots of cancelations now and that first batch of 1000 or 2000 we gotta buy from them. HT, you /:;())$&@. Lol. :lol

Back