Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sound overly critical, but the wheels on the pt. II don't sit high enough up when folded out. They should sit level with the bottom of the car not under it. Granted it would be a lot more work to have them fold and sit in the correct position but considering its basically the same as the pt I Hot Toys should have gotten the main feature correct.

01daa9dc05fba2703e7cf46758200250.jpg
. I don't know if they are quite level.. This is the sunstar ver. They sit under the car quite a ways.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Not to sound overly critical, but the wheels on the pt. II don't sit high enough up when folded out. They should sit level with the bottom of the car not under it. Granted it would be a lot more work to have them fold and sit in the correct position but considering its basically the same as the pt I Hot Toys should have gotten the main feature correct.

This is not correct.
Only one version had the look you suggest, and that was the "getting lowered on a forklift" full size version where they land in the rain in 2015, which is not accurate to any other version.
Every other version has the "upper" part of the tyre level with the bottom of the car, and the "bottom" of the folded down wheel lower than the main chassis.

This is not correct.
Only one version had the look you suggest, and that was the "getting lowered on a forklift" full size version where they land in the rain in 2015, which is not accurate to any other version.
Every other version has the "upper" part of the tyre level with the bottom of the car, and the "bottom" of the folded down wheel lower than the main chassis.
Edit: I cant find a single screen used example where the wheels are under the car like the toys depict. Until recently I thought the same as you, that there was some variation between the screen model and the full scale prop. After digging around it seems like the wheel position is actually about the same in all film examples of the models and forklift prop.

In the movie they extend outward and then fold under (except the full scale prop which cheats to a degree making the wheels almost but not quite horizontal), its clearly two different movements. Every toy I have tries to replicate the movement in one motion which requires the pivot point to be further above the wheel and the "arm" placed lower (relative to the wheel arch) than the movie cars (model or full scale prop). When the car first takes off in Pt II you can see what I mean, they don't fold under until after they have extended outwards. The toys have the wheels start folding as soon as they begin to extend which requires the pivot point to be further away from the wheel resulting in a lower end position.

See how they are not under but have moved outward in this capture?
Capture.JPG

Then they fold under becoming level with the bottom of the car
Capture2.JPG

The physical prop had them higher, the poster shows them higher, and the on screen model has them higher too. If you watch the end of Pt I when the wheels fold under they are as I describe. The mechanism used on all the toys to date is incorrect. Examples of the props attached. I just looked for any screenshot image of the wheels as the Sunstar or other model kits have them and its not what's in the movie.
bttf21.jpg
Back_to_the_Future_Part_II.jpg
1955_hover_dmc.jpg
22-back-to-the-future-001.nocrop.w529.h316.jpg
1024x1024.jpg
lyon-estates.jpg

Last edited:
I would have just rather had spare wheels to swap out. One set open and one set closed.Who the heck is going to be holding this monstrosity up in the air opening and closing the wheels. I have the part I version and I use 2 hands to pick it up. Which hand is folding the wheels?

I see your point.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thanks, the wheels sitting higher make the car look sleeker, and I almost wish they went for accuracy over the ability to fold up. I own the Pt I car and Marty, and I always intending on getting both versions if offered. Each scale I have one of each. If this was permanently in hover mode I wouldn't have had a problem. I know a lot of people would. My hopes were up about possibly getting a hover version that finally got the wheels right. The only one I own that does is the 99c hot wheels.

1483895347120672038-620x349.jpg

I'll be buying this anyway, and Doc and Marty, My wallet is going to hurt when these go up for preorder.

I'm hoping we get some shots with the shades off so we can see his face sculpt.

Keeping my part1 delorean. Knew the second was coming when ordering the first, but would not wait another 2 years.

Plenty of time but need to figure out a cool and secure way to fly the part 2 over the part one. Maybe with a clock tower backdrop

Is kinda obvious to me HT were not gonna improve on the problems of the part 1 version, so im expecting a non lit set of time circuits and stickers again. Tbh im happy this will actually happen and they added lights to the wheels and vents. I guess we will see when its up for PO and we get to see the spec of it.

The mods I did to my part 1 delorean will get added to the hover one and my only gripe is the wheels posistion as has been noted earlier. Im hoping that will change but I doubt it really.

Back