Hot Toys Alien Warrior - What a piece of junk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I don't want to sound all smug when many board members are unhappy with their Hot Toys Alien figures, but someone has to speak up for the ones that turned out good.

This problem happens with Alien 2 blue and brown only so far.
It's OK with Requiem aliens, AvP1 and Dog. Buy maybe it's just a matter of time.
Never heard about this problem with Hybrid, buy he can't stand well without support.

This problem happens with Alien 2 blue and brown only so far.
It's OK with Requiem aliens, AvP1 and Dog. Buy maybe it's just a matter of time.
Never heard about this problem with Hybrid, buy he can't stand well without support.

My AvP-Requiem alien's feet fell off while removing it from the box and will not stay on :banghead My Hybrid and both my AvP aliens are OK so far!

You cannot keep anything rubber stretched past it's molded position without putting stress on it.

This stress will eventually lead to failure of the rubber at it's weakest point.

That's why any of the HT Alien jaw tendons will eventually break because the mouth is left open. And why your Kane's knee will break because you keep it bent.

Add to that drying of the rubber, even if kept in a cool, dark environment.

Rubber coverings on these figures is such a waste.
They should be made of plastic, like the Preds.

:confused::confused: eh?

errrrrm. i assume u meant that the rubber suit in the knee area might tear or that the paint might peel. cos i don't think the knee itself will break since there's a solid plastic body underneath the spacesuit.

Didn't stop my Alien's knee breaking. That was the wierdest thing - I had it standing in this pose for a while:

DSC00999.jpg

And all I did was go to bend the knee to re-pose it, and it just snapped. I did it really gently as well.

I think at the weekend I might completely remove the paint on the rubber, just leaving it black underneath, so that it least it will look a bit tidier. Then it's a question of whether I try a full repair as suggested by the kind chap in Moscow, or glue it and live with a fixed pose.

You cannot keep anything rubber stretched past it's molded position without putting stress on it.

This stress will eventually lead to failure of the rubber at it's weakest point.

That's why any of the HT Alien jaw tendons will eventually break because the mouth is left open. And why your Kane's knee will break because you keep it bent.

Add to that drying of the rubber, even if kept in a cool, dark environment.

Rubber coverings on these figures is such a waste.
They should be made of plastic, like the Preds.

I could only imagine what will happen on the Hot Toys Appleseed figures in time too...

I've had each one of the Alien figures and so far the only one that was completely issue free was the AVP version.

Aliens has the horribly floppy joints, AVP-R had loose ankles (but not as bad as Aliens) and the Alien3 leg snapped while I was assembling it.

I love how unique and visually appealing the figures are, but the downside is the product quality just isn't up to the level it needs to be for the price.

Presumably rubber can be produced in any colour? So I wonder why they can't dye the rubberized bits rather than paint them, since so far it's not the rubber that's suffering, but the paint. Of course, I'm sure the rubber will have perished in 20 years time, but that's understandable.

Edit: Just been re-reading Wookster's review again (He is Jeff Parker, right?)

Painting onto rubber and silicone is always going to be tricky. But HT have pulled it off. All the surfaces seem pretty stable. No problems at all with the hard plastic, that being the arms, legs and upper head. Even the paint on the silicone covering the body seems pretty hardwearing. The only slight area for concern is where paint is used on the rubber hands, feet and tail, don’t worry however, it doesn’t come off, as I just experimented by scrapping one of the hands with my fingernails. It’s stuck fast, but it is a little tacky to the touch. But apart from that one minor gripe it’s faultless.

It doesn't even sound like I got the same figure. Have I just been unlucky? Does the paint on yours really not come off if you scrape it with a nail?

Last edited:
:confused::confused: eh?

errrrrm. i assume u meant that the rubber suit in the knee area might tear or that the paint might peel. cos i don't think the knee itself will break since there's a solid plastic body underneath the spacesuit.

Yep, I was referring to the rubber since that's the issue that was initially raised.

Uhmm, my cars door rubbers are 10 years old and haven't cracked. And they open and close everyday, 5c rain, sleet, sun, 55c summer winds, they're still fine.

Think about it it's a business model that HT uses.

a.) Make the products out of lasting rubber compounds that are slightly more expensive to produce? Your production costs go up. Add to that the fact that returns on products will be low as all figures will meet the expectations of clients.

b.) Make them out of the cheapest air forced rubber compounds for vastly reduced production costs. Knowing that your target market are collectors who at the first sign of wear will replace their purchase with a brand new one and you'll get incredible revenue.

It amazes me that some people think that the management of large multinational companies and distributors are a bunch of highly educated, serene, balanced well intending group of helpful people.

In reality (as you can see) the management at Hot Toys are a group of get rich quick low life cowboys intent on S_H_A_F_T_I_N_G their target customer base for every penny that it's worth and enjoying boosting their golf holidays and poker funds.

and ye sheep willfully and joyfully bend right over.

In the mean time use rubber sealant every few months(available from any high end automotive detailer) on the figure's rubber. This will replace the natural rubber moisturiser in the compound (it's the depletion of this that causes cracking).

You might want to test a few products for shine first, see what you like. Smartwax and poorboys sealant leave a satin finish when you buff them out.

:lol Thats gold right there. :clap

Not That the HT figures crack necessarily. Rubber compounds behave vastly differently. Take some of the new work boots for instance. The rubber soles require wear to stay in shape. Leave them in your cupboard for six months and the soles hydrolise. Turn into a molten mess. So knowing the compound may at least give you an idea of how to care for the product. You'd reckon Hot Toys would know and recommend a product for their figures. :duh

Gosh...I guess we should ask HT to make their figures out of your car door rubber.

BUT...since we're talking about the rubber that HT uses...

I'm not quite sure what validity your post has.

Since you're comparing 2 totally different types of rubber from 2 totally different items, how does that invalidate my point?

The rubber that HT uses WILL fail at the weakest point, over time, when put under stress.

In reality (as you can see) the management at Hot Toys are a group of get rich quick low life cowboys intent on S_H_A_F_T_I_N_G their target customer base for every penny that it's worth and enjoying boosting their golf holidays and poker funds.

and ye sheep willfully and joyfully bend right over.

Er...I wouldn't go that far.

Gosh...I guess we should ask HT to make their figures out of your car door rubber.

BUT...since we're talking about the rubber that HT uses...

I'm not quite sure what validity your post has.

Since you're comparing 2 totally different types of rubber from 2 totally different items, how does that invalidate my point?

The rubber that HT uses WILL fail at the weakest point, over time, when put under stress.

I didn't intend to invalidate your point, my post was intended to enforce it.

HT's rubber does in fact crack and tear because it is low quality rubber.

I'm not an expert on different types of rubber but I am on car detailing. I know that leather, vinyl, plastic and rubber all require different oils and treatments in maintenance to remain supple and as new. As over time vinyl and rubber will lose moisture and crack if untreated.

Rubber specifically (i.e. door liners, engine bay hoses, window liners, convertible roof top seals, etc) all periodically need rubbing in of rubber sealant to remain supple and not crack.

It may help the longevity of these rubber clad collectables to treat them likewise.

I didn't intend to invalidate your point, my post was intended to enforce it.

HT's rubber does in fact crack and tear because it is low quality rubber.

I'm not an expert on different types of rubber but I am on car detailing. I know that leather, vinyl, plastic and rubber all require different oils and treatments in maintenance to remain supple and as new. As over time vinyl and rubber will lose moisture and crack if untreated.

Rubber specifically (i.e. door liners, engine bay hoses, window liners, convertible roof top seals, etc) all periodically need rubbing in of rubber sealant to remain supple and not crack.

It may help the longevity of these rubber clad collectables to treat them likewise.

Ok, my bad.
I misread your post and I apologize. :eek:

I am definately going to check into your recommendations about the rubber sealants.

Those sound like a great investment for these figures.

*looks on as ArmorAll sneaks into the conversation*

I use ArmorAll, and have been from 2005.
No cracks in sight......including the paint.

So last night I dismantled my Alien Warrior and set about peeling off the loose and flaking paint. It's strangely satisfying to actually handle it roughly for a change! I have to say, the articulation on the torso is very clever, and I'm wondering if I might go for an even more extreme crawling pose than I might have done if the figure was still in one piece.

Back