Hot Toys 2012 DREDD figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ehh.. harsh.

If Sucker Punch got two figures, I don't see why Dredd won't have a chance, at least. :huh

Sucker Punch grossed $17 million on its first weekend while Dredd only grossed $6 million. It's sad that something as thoughtless and uninspiring as Sucker Punch managed to get action figures made based simply on the moolah.

Having said that, I believe it's a poor choice of license in the long run. The best selling licenses appeal to our love of sci fi. Look at Terminator, Star Wars, Batman. Far fewer people are going to spend their cash on a Babydoll or Amber.

Sucker Punch was a license that was bought prior to the film being released. Many of HT's licenses are bought prior to the film being released.

Sucker Punch was a license that was bought prior to the film being released. Many of HT's licenses are bought prior to the film being released.

Was not aware of that. However I still think a Dredd figure would be worthwhile, I can imagine it selling quite well.

real shame about how it's doing financially. the way HT operates nowadays we'll never see a figure of this. feels like those days where they did cool stuff rather than cash cow stuff are looooong gone.

I guess we might see an art figures style unlicensed figure pop up. Funny thing is...while the movie did not perform as we would have hoped, I bet a good enough percentage of people who did see it would buy a figure.

I mean..people bought the punisher war zone figure and that movie made like 10 million on a 30-something million budget.

If not hot toys...I'm sure something will pop up.

Sort of heartbreaking that we won't probably see sequels.

Hot Toys has always been aiming for the cash cow. That is nothing new. Even Howard himself admitted that the reason he went into movie licensing is because there are money to be made there. It's the only way to make his company grow. That' what sets him apart from other 1/6 maker during that them. The rest of them are content with just military figures and bootleg.

Hence the reason we will never see a Taxi Driver or Michael Corleone, those figure will never see in the amount needed to justify all the costs.

That's the funny thing with licensing. Is it better to wait or buy early? If you wait too long and the movie becomes a big hit, the licensing cost will fly through the roof. In that situation maybe it is best to buy early.

Sometimes, that movie might end up becoming a stinker and the licensing will be worth next to nothing, and it might be best to only pick it up then. But at the same thing, there is also the issue of making money out of a license that no one wants.

Dredd honestly is not the figure for HT since it is not a big hit and won't sell well. Might be a better license for someone like iminime. Iminime is getting there in terms of HT quality and this license might just be perfect for their small operations.

The best selling licenses appeal to our love of sci fi. Look at Terminator, Star Wars, Batman. Far fewer people are going to spend their cash on a Babydoll or Amber.

I and others have got those best selling licenses already, Sucker Punch was a great refreshing license to get behind, Dredd would be to... Same is boring, new is exciting, why else would couples cheat on their spouse :monkey1

real shame about how it's doing financially. the way HT operates nowadays we'll never see a figure of this. feels like those days where they did cool stuff rather than cash cow stuff are looooong gone.

:goodpost: :(

I loved the movie and would certainly be interested if SS, Enterbay, Medicom, HT or anyone else did it.

There wouldn't even be a headsculpt for them have to worry about! Unless they also did an Anderson... but I'd probably only grab her if it's HT.

The 3a dredd will be better than the above poster foresees. 3A figures don't even come with stands, and can be balanced on 1 foot (they use a tighter version of the HT body). Expect it to be an authentic and lovingly done interpretation of ashley wood's favourite comic style dredd, thats about 30 years overdue to some people. They're a quality company unless you mistake their comic styling for inferiority, if you're into HT movie re-creation

The amount of comic abstraction they do on their dredd isn't known yet, it could trump a realistic movie version depending on the design. It will be just the chin that won't be as realistic, I don't think tharg is much of a precedent (their only other 2000ad humanoid fig so far) as he is years old and a bit of a weird dude

cool..I'll have to see how it looks. I've seen some stuff from 3a that I thought was really cool...since I'm into more stylized stuff, but I think I'm not crazy about the zombie/robot source material.

Back