Hot Toys 1/6 Ironman (Gunmetal Grey Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A figure stand makes it a variant? Okay then I guess. All I know is that it's listed as $1280 on the Silly Thing web site. Good luck with your quest on getting that variant then. I'm sure you could probably get an extra figure stand from a Truetype and have a base and placard custom made to look exactly like the Silly Thing version.

you do realize silly thing is an asian company right? thats not american dollars,
FAIL :rolleyes:

you do realize silly thing is an asian company right? thats not american dollars,
FAIL :rolleyes:

Hot Toys and Silly Things are asian companies? Really? I'm glad there are smart guys like you around to keep us informed. :rolleyes: Here's a bit of advice, STFU and learn about tact.

Anyway, I would argue that they should specify that it's priced in Yen (or whatever currency) shouldn't they? How are we supposed to know that when there's a US dollar sign being used on the web site?

Not to push this matter further but you do know that Silly Things is located in Hong Kong which uses the Hong Kong Dollar and the currency sign "$" right? That wasn't the point of the original argument so I never brought it up but I felt it was important to denote before any more feet go into any more mouths...

1,280.00 HKD = 165.146 USD
1 HKD = 0.129021 USD

Which is about right. After registering for the site, it isn't a commerce site but a news site for the Think Silly store. You cannot purchase from the store it tells you to go to the brick and mortar.

For those wondering, the completists like myself are hunting for the stand right behind Tony Stark:

img3685755491.jpg

Problem is even the ones on eBay from that region are using Sideshow's pictures which means there is no guarantee its the actual Silly Thing store version or the standard con exclusive that Hot Toys is shopping around.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to cancel their preorder. I will be more than happy to buy your preorder from you, including attendance only version! I am depserate for this version, but I dont have the 300+ for it on ebay

how about 275 shipped?:lol

(The above was posted on 7/18/08)

Isn't that the price you are asking at the FS section?

I don't get the happy face then.

Anyway, I was able to finally get this figure today from my local comic shop dealer for the great price of $190 total! Since I have stuff on pre-order from this guy, he gave me this piece at that nice price. In fact, he always sells Hot Toys and Sideshow stuff below MSRP.
The funny thing was that as soon as I received Sideshow's e-mail notification (2 days ago) that my waitlist wasn't going to convert because they had NONE left supposedly, I called this guy, who then called his SIDESHOW contact and confirmed he would be able to get one for me.
I like this piece as an Iron Man fan, not for the probability that it might go up in price in the future. As a matter of fact, I hope it goes down, so all those non-fans who bought it as an "investment" and their evil scalping plans fail. hehehehe!!! :devil

Last edited:
(The above was posted on 7/18/08)

Isn't that the price you are asking at the FS section?

I don't get the happy face then.

I think Verbal is just being funny because the other guy said he couldn't afford $300 so Verbal is saying how about $275 which is only $25 cheaper than what the other guy DIDN'T want to pay. I thought it was a bit funny. :D

Hot Toys and Silly Things are asian companies? Really? I'm glad there are smart guys like you around to keep us informed. :rolleyes: Here's a bit of advice, STFU and learn about tact.

Anyway, I would argue that they should specify that it's priced in Yen (or whatever currency) shouldn't they? How are we supposed to know that when there's a US dollar sign being used on the web site?

Hey don't feel bad BF. There was an article that stated the TK Iroman was in US dollars. I posted the article verbatum earlier in this thread. So, it's an honest mistake. Some people on here just like to think they know it all, and act accordingly. It's best just to read what they post.....have a chuckle....and let it go. :lol Great Gunmetal pics BTW!

Hey don't feel bad BF. There was an article that stated the TK Iroman was in US dollars. I posted the article verbatum earlier in this thread. So, it's an honest mistake. Some people on here just like to think they know it all, and act accordingly. It's best just to read what they post.....have a chuckle....and let it go. :lol Great Gunmetal pics BTW!

Yeah, you'd think that it would've been dropped when I acknowledged that I didn't know it was in HK currency. But no worries. Water under the bridge. Thanks for feedback on the photos.

What's really interesting is the idea that this is was no mere repaint, but a complete overhaul of materials used to build it.

From Hypebeast: "One of the figures highlights includes the use of rare 'battle-damaged' paint, which called for a figure re-creation considering the paint would not adhere to the original plastic surface of the Mark III platform."

From Think Silly:
“The ‘battle damage’ paint, as suggested by TK, is a rare production. What’s more, this particular paint is not compatible with the original Mark III parts in plastic, therefore all parts must be tailor-made from scratch in the new colour way. The construction of the Mark III is nothing less than complex, mixing durable ABS plastic with more elastic material. The process is proved to be harder than creating the original Mark III model, in terms of construction and production.”

Makes you wonder since some of the GMIMs have red peeking through the paint whether the new plastic parts were molded in red like the Mk3 and then painted or if they were molded in Grey then given a layer of red before the grey....

For the actual Silly Thing version you have to find a seller that actually has one. The Silly Things version was only sold via their brick and mortar store and folks even stood in line for one. They were supposed to be imported for SDCC from this batch by Sideshow. Originally it was publshed that there would be no difference so a lot of people (myself included) passed on the ones offered on eBay. They were too high above MSRP originally from some sellers. When it was found that the stand underwent a modification the eBay sellers increased their prices dramatically and unfortunately a lot of them even from the Hong Kong region are using Sideshow's pictures to sell them. You could in theory ask someone to open one and prove the stand differences but a lot of them are unwilling. Its a crap shoot unless you get a seller willi to work with you.

Makes you wonder since some of the GMIMs have red peeking through the paint whether the new plastic parts were molded in red like the Mk3 and then painted or if they were molded in Grey then given a layer of red before the grey....

Got any pictures of the red poking through on them?

It would seem plausible that they'd mold the parts in red. Whichever method was used I'm under the impression that this was done intentionally to give the allusion of corroded metal as seen on this promo shot below.

iron-man-tony-starks-tk-2jpg.jpeg

Got any pictures of the red poking through on them?

You can see it clearly here on the armor which protects the hands and wrist, the chest area, shoulders, thighs, and in recesses around the knees.

htironmanmkiiitk03.jpg

htironmanmkiiitk05.jpg

Last edited:
Back