1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still really love that when they were thinking of common sexist things guys do to women they picked smile and before the movie drops all the sexist trolls proved how right the writers were.

I still really love that when they were thinking of common sexist things guys do to women they picked smile and before the movie drops all the sexist trolls proved how right the writers were.
How exactly? Yea, I know telling girls to smile more is a sexist trope, but that's no excuse to make the character smug and unpleasant just to prove a point.

How exactly? Yea, I know telling girls to smile more is a sexist trope, but that's no excuse to make the character unlikeable just to prove a point.

To each there own. I liked the way she was written :dunno

I mean she smiled and laughed more in one movie than Maria Hill did in all the movies she has been in combined.

Last edited:
To each there own. I liked the way she was written :dunno

I mean she smiled and laughed more in one movie than Maria Hill did in all the movies she has been in combined.

But the big difference for me is that Maria Hill is not a main character. Who knows how id feel about her if she were front and center.

Plus Captain Marvel also has a smugness to her and constantly talks about how much better she is than everyone else which I find particularly off putting.

Honestly I see Captain Marvel as no different than that episode of The Simpsons where they introduce Poochie onto the Itchy and Scratchy show and everyone hates him because he constantly is rubbed in the audience's face how cool he is.

your comments proved their point.
Sounds to me like you are just deflecting all criticism by crying "SEXISM!!" every time someone dare hold a female character to any kind of writing standard. Which is insanely sexist in an of itself. But nice ad-hominem attack.

But the big difference for me is that Maria Hill is not a main character. Who knows how id feel about her if she were front and center.

Plus Captain Marvel also has a smugness to her and constantly talks about how much better she is than everyone else which I find particularly off putting.

Honestly I see Captain Marvel as no different than that episode of The Simpsons where they introduce Poochie onto the Itchy and Scratchy show and everyone hates him because he constantly is rubbed in the audience's face how cool he is.

Sounds to me like you are just deflecting all criticism by crying "SEXISM!!" every time someone dare hold a female character to any kind of writing standard. Which is insanely sexist in an of itself. But nice ad-hominem attack.

That's why i said to each there own.
I think of her and Hill as kind of the same. They are both tough as nails military women who man goal is to get the job done not look cute. They did say Top Gun was part of the inspiration for her and smugness and being better than everyone else is the main point of that movie.

Are you getting the figure? I'm just not sure what the point of complaining about someone that most people on this thread like. You can hate her all you want and that is 100% fine but i like her character sooo......

That's why i said to each there own.
I think of her and Hill as kind of the same. They are both tough as nails military women who man goal is to get the job done not look cute. They did say Top Gun was part of the inspiration for her and smugness and being better than everyone else is the main point of that movie.

Are you getting the figure? I'm just not sure what the point of complaining about someone that most people on this thread like. You can hate her all you want and that is 100% fine but i like her character sooo......

Probably getting one of her just for completionist purposes.

You're welcome to like her, it just really bothers me when anyone dismisses people who find her unlikeable as "sexist". And despite the fact that the smugness or being better than anyone is on purpose, that doesn't justify it's inclusion. It just means that they made her unlikeable deliberately. Even Maverick had moments of humility and self-reflection to tone him down a bit.

In general, people like kind, positive, non-self centered people. Its just basic human dynamics.

I dont know. Robert Downey Jr has made a career of playing just the opposite of those types.

I can't speak for many of his other roles, but at least Tony Stark has had plenty of moments of doubt, reflection, humility, and genuine sacrifice to balance him out.

Probably getting one of her just for completionist purposes.

You're welcome to like her, it just really bothers me when anyone dismisses people who find her unlikeable as "sexist". And despite the fact that the smugness or being better than anyone is on purpose, that doesn't justify it's inclusion. It just means that they made her unlikeable deliberately. Even Maverick had moments of humility and self-reflection to tone him down a bit.

In general, people like kind, positive, non-self centered people. Its just basic human dynamics.

Unfortunately I think it's almost hard to talk about her without the sexist line coming up because the trolls kept saying she was sexist, she hated men, Marvel studios hated men and tried to derail the movie.

I really did not find her unlikable at all, she just seemed confident. I almost feel like we watched different movies :lol

I only had one friend who did not really like her and it was because she thought she was to young for the role but my other friends enjoyed it as much as any other Marvel film.

She definitely had a cockiness to her, but I thought that was balanced out by her playfulness and inability to take things seriously, and so she never came across to me as overly "smug" to me.

If I had trouble connecting with the character, it was less because of her personality than the fact the movie just never really explored who the heck she was or what made her tick, beyond the fact that she was a tomboy as a kid and likes to fly. Which isn't a lot.

I didn't like her because she barely had a personality outside of confidence. I thought we were going to get to know her. There's a scene where her friend literally tells her what her personality is.

She was just written poorly. It's okay if people like it but Marvel should have done a lot better. Unfortunately the timing of Endgame also meant that they had to limit her there as well.

I'm hoping the next time we see her and this amnesia stuff is out of the way, we'll actually get to know the character a little bit.

Unfortunately I think it's almost hard to talk about her without the sexist line coming up because the trolls kept saying she was sexist, she hated men, Marvel studios hated men and tried to derail the movie.

I really did not find her unlikable at all, she just seemed confident. I almost feel like we watched different movies :lol

I only had one friend who did not really like her and it was because she thought she was to young for the role but my other friends enjoyed it as much as any other Marvel film.
Wheras personally I don't know anyone that liked the movie at all. Everyone that I talked to said many of the same things I said.

I don't think Marvel hates men or anything silly like that. Honestly I think Marvel is a massive company and doesn't care one way or the other beyond which messages are most profitable. And that's the thing. "Woke" messages in films are a big thing these days. And this film contained a lot of these themes without any of the nuance the MCU's earlier characters displayed in order to make these themes feel less heavy handed. Admittedly Brie Larson's behavior didn't help much.

At the risk of verging into the political, ive always found "woke" philosophies to be hypocritical, idealistic, and dangerously dogmatic. So it only makes sense that a movie and character which so bluntly embodies those themes wouldn't appeal to me.

Come in here to see if there's any updates on the figure.

Nope, just people still bashing the actress and the movie.

I really liked it anyway and think the sequel will "rectify" most of the problems that the origin story had. There's definitely potential and that's personally all I look for in an origin type of movie, I didn't like The First Avenger on initial viewing but enjoy it now for what it is.

This thread is to talk about the figure. If you don’t like the movie or Brie, I’m not exactly sure what brings you here. Anyways, here’s a pic of the figure at Comic Con to bring things back on track. I think the power effects look really cool. Hope she releases in October C5ECF574-87CA-405E-98DD-54CD9A21AB7F.jpeg

This thread is to talk about the figure. If you don’t like the movie or Brie, I’m not exactly sure what brings you here. Anyways, here’s a pic of the figure at Comic Con to bring things back on track. I think the power effects look really cool. Hope she releases in October View attachment 462935

Yes I definitely hope it's released this year. Though, while I think the overall quality of the unmasked head sculpt is great, I think it could use some tweaking to capture more of Brie Larson, as I'm highly anticipating displaying her with it.

Not too bizarre to me. People that are friendly and positive are inherently more likable. Yea, she smiles in the movies, but its mostly a cocky "I know how awesome I am" smug smirk.

What's bizzare is people are still bitter after all this time. Time to let go of the hurt.

This thread is to talk about the figure. If you don’t like the movie or Brie, I’m not exactly sure what brings you here. Anyways, here’s a pic of the figure at Comic Con to bring things back on track. I think the power effects look really cool. Hope she releases in October View attachment 462935

Exactly. Some people just can't let go of their bitterness and constantly try to derail the thread.

Thought there was maybe some news on the figure and instead was subjected to more brilliant intellectual discourse on this film which couldn't be more unwelcome at this stage. Figure looks cool and I will be picking this one up.

I put the Disney store costume on a better body with a decent 3rd party sculpt, gave her some blast effects and I'm perfectly happy with it, saves me a few quid.

I never got into whatever the actress said/did so cant' comment on that, I thought the film was average for an MCU offering mostly because I always found the source material i.e. Captain Marvel to be a bit boring anyway, probably still watch it again and pick up the DVD though.

Back