1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Boba Fett ESB Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at that right gauntlet and it looks very snug fitting to the arm. I'm thinking a little artistic license is needed on a 1/6 scale figure to get good articulation for posing which may mean is being slightly oversized. As long as the proportion still look right enough when looking at the figure that's OK for me, even if it may be obvious through scrutiny on direct comparison images like these. The main thing for me there is that it needs some weathering and the thickness of that tube piece running into the sleeve is way off.

Yes. You’re correct. Some artistic license is necessary, but HT, being who they are, can do better. Marmit, Medicom and even Hasbro (30th anniversary Fett, I think)had better proportioned gauntlets and retained articulation.
96316cecca110814e4f2f0f1eea0b339.jpg
2c110129c132d04795ce88cbe6b8735c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. You’re correct. Some artistic license is necessary, but HT, being who they are, can do better. Marmit, Medicom and even Hasbro (30th anniversary Fett, I think)had better proportioned gauntlets and retained articulation.
96316cecca110814e4f2f0f1eea0b339.jpg
2c110129c132d04795ce88cbe6b8735c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree with this. Proportions can still be accurate on a 1/6 Fett without sacrificing too much articulation. In addition to the ones you mention, I think Sideshow also did a decent job of keeping gauntlet proportions accurate. Here's a shot of one of the customs I'm working on that uses a lot of Sideshow parts, including the gauntlets. I think the proportions are decent. The chest armor was an absolute mess (which is why it was one of the things I replaced), but the gauntlets are slim enough to look accurate while still allowing for a good amount of pose-ability.

Boba Custom SS 01.jpg

One of the things that bothers me about the Hot Toys ROTJ Fett is the gauntlets being so wide at the wrists that you can see the pegs because of the gaps. The other companies have shown that the gauntlets can be slimmer without limiting much in terms of posing the figure.

Yeah, I agree with this. Proportions can still be accurate on a 1/6 Fett without sacrificing too much articulation. In addition to the ones you mention, I think Sideshow also did a decent job of keeping gauntlet proportions accurate. Here's a shot of one of the customs I'm working on that uses a lot of Sideshow parts, including the gauntlets. I think the proportions are decent. The chest armor was an absolute mess (which is why it was one of the things I replaced), but the gauntlets are slim enough to look accurate while still allowing for a good amount of pose-ability.

View attachment 388676

One of the things that bothers me about the Hot Toys ROTJ Fett is the gauntlets being so wide at the wrists that you can see the pegs because of the gaps. The other companies have shown that the gauntlets can be slimmer without limiting much in terms of posing the figure.

That looks great.

Out of interest what body is the build on? The medi helmet looks very well proportioned.

I want this figure so bad, but all of these amazing customs are just making it look worse:gah:

That looks great.

Out of interest what body is the build on? The medi helmet looks very well proportioned.

Thanks Cap'n. The body is the stock Sideshow (v1) one. Here's some other views to see how the proportions of the Medicom helmet look on the SS body at different angles. Not perfect, but good enough for now. I'm far from finished with this guy, though.

Boba Custom SS 02.jpg

Now back to football. :)

You might be being sarcastic, but ESB is obviously widely considered to be the better movie and where Fett makes his name/reputation with the capture of Han Solo. He has an actual storyline. In ROTJ, Fett's death is laughable to many. On pure aesthetics preference might be more split, but when the ROTJ version came out there were definitely lots of "I'll wait for the ESB version" comments.

The sad thing is this is already sort of Hot Toys V2 (the version where they make it clearly better so everyone has to repurchase), but what improvements there are are relatively minor.

I used to like the ESB design more, but now it seems a little bland, especially the jetpack, when compared to ROTJ, but yes ESB was by far the better film.

As for the helmet, I don't know why hot toys seems to struggle with them. ESB vader widows peak is the only reason I haven't ordered that one. The stormtroopers seem ok, but I'm not one of those people that makes their own armor.

I used to like the ESB design more, but now it seems a little bland, especially the jetpack, when compared to ROTJ, but yes ESB was by far the better film.

As for the helmet, I don't know why hot toys seems to struggle with them. ESB vader widows peak is the only reason I haven't ordered that one. The stormtroopers seem ok, but I'm not one of those people that makes their own armor.

I certainly like some aspects of the ROTJ outfit more. I like all the red accents, but I think the way the small belt pouches sit to the side of Fett's waist on the ESB costume work better when posing. I think for this reason I'd probably get the deluxe ESB as it would allow for a sort of ROTJ look every once in a while.

On the actual Hot Toys figure I found the armor color to be a bit to olive-looking. I actually think the ESB has this problem a bit too. In my mind the outfit is more a blue-gray-olive than what the figure is showing.

It would be nice if hot toys were more open to what inspires their designs. I can't imagine they wouldn't have access to film prop references but maybe not?

It would be nice if hot toys were more open to what inspires their designs. I can't imagine they wouldn't have access to film prop references but maybe not?

At a point like this, it'd be great if they actually got a hold of people who live for this stuff to go over any issues that they didn't foresee or if they used the wrong references. Designers are designers and I'm sure like the properties they're working on, but there's whole websites and forums dedicated to recreating the armors. There's a lot of information that can be gleaned if you talked to people instead of just looking at photos.

Excellent custom Fett, ajp4mgs. :rock

Thank you! Much appreciated.

At a point like this, it'd be great if they actually got a hold of people who live for this stuff to go over any issues that they didn't foresee or if they used the wrong references. Designers are designers and I'm sure like the properties they're working on, but there's whole websites and forums dedicated to recreating the armors. There's a lot of information that can be gleaned if you talked to people instead of just looking at photos.

I don't think relying on photos would deter HT (or any company) from producing accurate details. All you need is this one single photo to know what color(s) certain parts on the gauntlet should be, what features it should have, how the digital component on the chest should be sized, how thick the rifle barrel should be, etc. After all this time, I'm amazed that no company seems to understand that the white ridged section of the gloves extends over the knuckles; any single photo will tell you this. :lol Therefore, I think we can conclude that "close enough" is what they're aiming for. If they were aiming higher, you actually wouldn't need more than just photos to achieve it (and not even need too many).

Boba Details 01.jpg

Thank you! Much appreciated.

I don't think relying on photos would deter HT (or any company) from producing accurate details. All you need is this one single photo to know what color(s) certain parts on the gauntlet should be, what features it should have, how the digital component on the chest should be sized, how thick the rifle barrel should be, etc. After all this time, I'm amazed that no company seems to understand that the white ridged section of the gloves extends over the knuckles; any single photo will tell you this. :lol Therefore, I think we can conclude that "close enough" is what they're aiming for. If they were aiming higher, you actually wouldn't need more than just photos to achieve it (and not even need too many).

View attachment 389008
I agree with you, but costumes can be different scene to scene, even shot to shot. So if say we could all pick one photo, then yes.

I can live with a little inaccuracy but I would still like helmets to be correct. I think that the helmet is probably something even a casual fan could notice. I didn't even know about the gloves and the dart until I read those posts in this thread.

Photos lie, movies lie -- lighting and lens change everything.

There's no way to get an exact figure from the movie because, as was said, every shot can be different.

That's a great idea for HT: make scene specific figures for the truly OCD.

Like: Vader from the Tantive choking scene, then Vader from the Convo with Leia scene, and Vader from his entrance -- collect all three Vaders from the Tantive! Coming soon: Vader versions from the Death Star Corridors... walking alone down hall; walking alone down hall 2 (noticing Ben's presence), etc

Photos lie, movies lie -- lighting and lens change everything.

There's no way to get an exact figure from the movie because, as was said, every shot can be different.

That's a great idea for HT: make scene specific figures for the truly OCD.

Like: Vader from the Tantive choking scene, then Vader from the Convo with Leia scene, and Vader from his entrance -- collect all three Vaders from the Tantive! Coming soon: Vader versions from the Death Star Corridors... walking alone down hall; walking alone down hall 2 (noticing Ben's presence), etc

I agree that there's no way to get an exact figure from the movie (for lots of other reasons), but costume props are costume props. Photos and screen shots aren't going to change the structural appearance of a prop, or move components around on that prop. Maybe a costume prop will have changed from one scene to the next, but at least there'd be an attempt to get details right from some point in the film. That would be better than not matching any scenes at all. Lighting and camera lens can alter/distort some things, but that can be negated by comparing to other images from other angles (or other scenes, if available). If you want to create a figure based on a movie character, it can be done pretty accurately from just photos and screen shots; especially something as photographed and available as Star Wars. That's how we've gotten some of the best SW figures (and from other movies) that everyone clamors for.

I can actually understand getting the proportions of the Fett helmet wrong; angles can distort it quite a bit. But, there are basic costume parts and accessories (not just Fett) that could have easily been made more accurately with nothing more than photos for reference. And even the helmet proportions can be pieced together from different shots and different angles. If they really wanted to make some things more accurate, they could do it. When they get things wrong, I just assume it's because "close enough" is the actual goal sometimes.

Perfect will never happen, but I don't think photos are the reason we see some inaccuracies in figures like Fett and Vader. If HT wanted to, they could make them more accurate. Look at the mask accessory that has been discussed lately in the Hoth Leia thread: the canister looks nothing like the actual movie prop, but is apparently a match to some other image on Wookieepedia. That's not because looking at the actual movie images was misleading the designers. Prioritization has more to do with success/failure in terms of accuracy than relying on photos, IMO. HT has the resources and talented artists to nail the details; I'm just not sure that it's all that much of a priority to them to satisfy the more nitpicky fans (like me). Most of their customers are probably happy with "close enough." That's fine.

I just wish the price tags on these figures could be better justified sometimes. Accuracy and attention to detail would be great ways to do that.

I agree that there's no way to get an exact figure from the movie (for lots of other reasons), but costume props are costume props. Photos and screen shots aren't going to change the structural appearance of a prop, or move components around on that prop. Maybe a costume prop will have changed from one scene to the next, but at least there'd be an attempt to get details right from some point in the film. That would be better than not matching any scenes at all. Lighting and camera lens can alter/distort some things, but that can be negated by comparing to other images from other angles (or other scenes, if available). If you want to create a figure based on a movie character, it can be done pretty accurately from just photos and screen shots; especially something as photographed and available as Star Wars. That's how we've gotten some of the best SW figures (and from other movies) that everyone clamors for.

I can actually understand getting the proportions of the Fett helmet wrong; angles can distort it quite a bit. But, there are basic costume parts and accessories (not just Fett) that could have easily been made more accurately with nothing more than photos for reference. And even the helmet proportions can be pieced together from different shots and different angles. If they really wanted to make some things more accurate, they could do it. When they get things wrong, I just assume it's because "close enough" is the actual goal sometimes.

Perfect will never happen, but I don't think photos are the reason we see some inaccuracies in figures like Fett and Vader. If HT wanted to, they could make them more accurate. Look at the mask accessory that has been discussed lately in the Hoth Leia thread: the canister looks nothing like the actual movie prop, but is apparently a match to some other image on Wookieepedia. That's not because looking at the actual movie images was misleading the designers. Prioritization has more to do with success/failure in terms of accuracy than relying on photos, IMO. HT has the resources and talented artists to nail the details; I'm just not sure that it's all that much of a priority to them to satisfy the more nitpicky fans (like me). Most of their customers are probably happy with "close enough." That's fine.

I just wish the price tags on these figures could be better justified sometimes. Accuracy and attention to detail would be great ways to do that.

:exactly:

I agree with you, but costumes can be different scene to scene, even shot to shot. So if say we could all pick one photo, then yes.

I can live with a little inaccuracy but I would still like helmets to be correct. I think that the helmet is probably something even a casual fan could notice. I didn't even know about the gloves and the dart until I read those posts in this thread.
That's how I feel. The helmet should be the one thing they get 100%. The smaller details have some leeway, but the helmet is what everyone looks at most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some photos I took at Secretbase
In person its detailed and looks good but just doesnt capture that ESB feel
687515eefcd608024b6aade829cc1d05.jpg
1229a8d2ca3f7a3ee857907170e69809.jpg
4e011efea523776392c66da360022d21.jpg
b62fd1b434b2a513326c05b6a8931d35.jpg
4033d2ed03e5f4f69fba2130899f8a47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back