Hot Toys: 1/4 Official Boba Fett Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is civil towards eachother, not so much towards the artists that make these things. Point out a flaw? OK. That should read like this "Huh, there is a slight inaccuracy in the helmet. Go figure. Would have been cool if they nailed that part". Instead of the flamboyant comments such as "the helmt is PLAIN WRONG".Really? That's such a definitive statement considering many of the people looking at it don't have any idea what innacuracy is even being mentioned.

Slight to you. To aficionados of this character and his costume, it isn't slight.

Or "Hot Toys simply does not care about accuracy." Those statements baffle me. I think the issue here is that people want to feel like they are looking at the movie when they look at the figure. But that will simply never be the case, because it's a figure, not a movie or a memory of a feeling. Hot Toys is broaching the uncanny valley with some of their figures, where they are so damn good our brains have a hard time processing it and undermine it's authenticity to confirm that it's not actually as real as it seems.

Many of their figures venture into the uncanny valley (+1 for using the term, btw), and this figure is no different, at this scale. But if the costume is wrong in some ways, it's wrong. I'm not showering this release with hate or revulsion, and I ordered it the first day it went up. You obviously don't know me or my affiliation with this character. I can't speak for others, but my critiques have been much more towards the
"Huh, there is a slight inaccuracy in the helmet. Go figure. Would have been cool if they nailed that part"
than anything else.

I know his pistol is not original to the Jedi version of the costume. But I've been wrong before. Also, the Vibro-Ax wasn't original to IG -88. But after SS added that as the exclusive to their 1/6th scale figure... I have a hard time seeing him without it.
Can't wait to get it in hand. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have nearly as good of an eye for detail and accuracy as some of the members here have and I appreciate when flaws are pointed out. I want to know what is wrong with a product before deciding whether or not to buy it. Hope sideshow gets this in October.

Ah c'mon. It's obviously got some inaccuracies on the helmet shape. Some of the guys one here spot stuff that I wouldn't notice in months of looking at a SW helmet.

But first thing even I noticed when I saw pics this morning was that the visor looked weird. It's a beautiful figure no doubt, but the visor is his face so to speak.

Same. I'm a little crazy about stormtrooper helmets, but don't know Boba's helmet remotely that well...but the visor looks off to me, at least in some of those photos. Killer figure otherwise. :dunno

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442477194.397526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442477211.468514.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442477227.144571.jpg

My Favorite of the reveal photos.

I think this looks absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to have this displayed in my collection. Hands down will be one of my "Grail" pieces. Boba Fett is my Favorite Star Wars character (well, tied with Vader as my Favorite). This piece is the ultimate finish to my collection of Boba Fett figures (have SS ESB and Proto Fett).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boba looks amazing!

I think it's great that HT made the small blaster, more options is always a good thing.

Hoping Sideshow gets Boba soon. I've got a shelf waiting for him.

Even with a couple inaccuracies these poses are super cool.

Especially with that cape blowing in the "wind". :naughty

whethering paint job is really good. and the body proportion is better than
that of the 1/6 scale.

fat 1.jpg
fat 2.jpg
fat 3.jpg
fat 4.jpg

Thanks Rubio95 for pointing out the inaccuracies of this figure. If I'm dropping $500, after shipping, on a figure I want to be informed on what I'm getting, then I can make a decision whether it bothers me enough to get it or not. Why do people have a problem with this? If you don't care buy the figure and enjoy it, I do this all the time, but I still want to know what I'm getting. :dunno

I totally agree with Rubio95s approach to critiquing the figure. Just compare, there are for sure inaccuracies. But I'm in the same boat where I see it but still realize this is a great figure and in some ways the changes may be a better, more idealized Boba Fett.

For example, I actually much more enjoy the hot toys helmet weathering:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442610964.150795.jpg

Than the movie version:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442610983.675229.jpg

Sure it may not be accurate 100%. But this is a damn good looking Boba Fett. The best I've ever seen. From what I've seen, this will most likely be my Favorite figure in my collection.

I totally agree with Rubio95s approach to critiquing the figure. Just compare, there are for sure inaccuracies. But I'm in the same boat where I see it but still realize this is a great figure and in some ways the changes may be a better, more idealized Boba Fett.

For example, I actually much more enjoy the hot toys helmet weathering:

View attachment 211497

Than the movie version:

View attachment 211498

Sure it may not be accurate 100%. But this is a damn good looking Boba Fett. The best I've ever seen. From what I've seen, this will most likely be my Favorite figure in my collection.

I completely agree. Me personally, and I think a lot of other collectors, want their figures to look like the characters they are based on but not exactly like them. In simplest terms I want my figure to look like a figure. A more romanticized representation, like what we remember. After seeing the brief video Budget Stark put up I am very regretful that I did not order this guy.

Thanks Rubio95 for pointing out the inaccuracies of this figure. If I'm dropping $500, after shipping, on a figure I want to be informed on what I'm getting, then I can make a decision whether it bothers me enough to get it or not. Why do people have a problem with this? If you don't care buy the figure and enjoy it, I do this all the time, but I still want to know what I'm getting. :dunno
It's annoying because a lot of the accuracy cops on this forum like to slather on immense amounts of hyperbole and even condescension to their observations and opinions. Check any terminator, predator, and star wars thread and youll see.

Also I'm a big terminator, predator, star wars, and accuracy fan.

I'm really liking how this thread has policed itself. Everyone is making good points!

Thanks for the compliments, for those that have given them.

With regards to my attention to detail...

This character, and this VERSION of the character, represents my absolute and total grail. Medicom released an RotJ version, but they got many details flat-out wrong. A beautiful figure, and to this day my favorite 1/6. Sideshow's ESB Boba Fett was, in many ways, a REMARKABLE achievement, and in other ways, a travesty. What Sideshow was able to do PERFECTLY was place 99% of the paint/weathering details. Shape/size/scale of the armor/helmet itself was pretty terrible, but I was blown away by how accurate the weathering was.

Besides collecting 1/6, I also paint Boba Fett helmets/gear, both for myself and on a commission basis. bebe13junior, I can understand that you like the Hot Toys paintwork more than the film helmet, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but there are some of us (perhaps not all that many, maybe) that do prefer as close to screen-used as possible. The commissions I've received have ALL requested as close to screen-used as possible. But this hobby and that hobby are different, and I can (grudgingly) respect that.

The natural gut feeling most of us have, regarding Star Wars figures, is that Hot Toys will do it better, if/when they make a version. So when this figure was announced, I was beside myself with excitement. Remember, they teased it with the blurred-out photo? And the eagle-eyed amongst us quickly noticed the 1/4 logo. On the one hand, I was a little bummed out, since it would be more expensive and larger (I'm on a budget and I don't have infinite storage space, like the majority of us). What I was excited about was that I was certain that every detail would be preserved PERFECTLY. That's a fine trade-off, for me. So I ordered it. When critiques started trickling in, about the 'chunkiness' of the body and such, I paid it no mind, since I'm pretty capable when it comes to futzing and photography. Many of us could see that, while the SKILL of the paintjob was amazing, the ACCURACY of that paintjob was lacking. However, I figured that it was a preliminary paintjob, and that Hot Toys would fix it by the time the figure went into production. They have not.

Here is a straightened-out view of the helmet. In this shot, lens distortion looks to be minimal:

image2.jpg

Here's a shot of the screen-used helmet, with the 'tell-tale' trademarks of the helmet circled:

Boba-Fett-Return-of-the-Jedi-Helmet-07.jpg

We call those parts 1.) The Blob, 2.) The Drip and 3.) The Swipe, and they are the most easily-identifiable marks on the helmet (from the front). To see these details not included is...disappointing. Especially when compared to the Hot Toys 1/6:

star_wars_boba_fett_1_6_scale_action_figure_by_hot_toys_5.jpg

piccolodaimaoh, I think you're absolutely right. This is intended to be a romanticized version of the character. The reason I say that is because Hot Toys' other Boba Fett release, in 1/6, has replicated the weathering of the RotJ helmet VERY closely. So it can be done. The rough part for me is that I have to decide whether to repaint the 1/4 helmet or not. On the one hand, I want accuracy. On the other, it would be a shame to erase what is, accuracy aside, a wonderfully painted helmet. I'll look to acquire a second helmet, though at this scale, it'll probably be difficult. And as with the helmet, the majority of the armor looks to be painted inaccurately, as well.

Beyond that, and a HUGE benefit of this scale, is the soft parts. The flight suit, and vest in particular, looks BEAUTIFUL. The stitching looks scary-accurate, and with the larger size, looks much more natural. Very impressive!

Anyways, sorry for the long post (except I'm not). I'm not badmouthing the figure at all, just sharing some information, and acknowledging this figure for what it is.

Thanks for reading!

Back