1/6 Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

Yeah that works surprisingly well there Wor-Gar. And makes the DX17 head look generic as hell in comparison.

Thanks. I'm not sure it is ideal, especially for Tatooine Maul... but it gives the figure a little character that, to me, it was lacking.

Regarding the aging, I do believe some of that feeling might come from the tattoo paintwork, particularly the much lower jowls in red paint.

If you notice on Young Maul, there is a lot of black paint along the jawline... whereas Old Maul has the appearance of sagging because the red paint dips much further down the face past the mouth line. I have attached a comparison (photo work by Potatoes212 -- I hope he doesn't mind me using his excellent photography).

I have also included two GIFs at the bottom that better display the change. Just raising the black jawline so it meets the mouth helps make him look much closer to TPM Maul. I imagine less black bags under the eyes would help greatly too.

paint change on cheek COMP post 12-17-20.jpg

Here's the GIFS -- on two second intervals...

paint adj 2 GIF.gif

paint adj 1 GIF.gif

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

Great side by sides. Thanks for posting

The Solo Maul is definitely superior...just stunning.

don't think so, I have both DX17 and 18. Each HS has certain distinct features suitably fit with their own character.

I understand and having neither, I can only go by posted photos but to me, the 18 just captures Park better and the 17, while definitely a good sculpt, just doesn't look like Park, to me.

But I passed on the HT versions, as I feel that the SS version, while perhaps having some issues, is the best sculpt of the lot.

EDIT: I just saw Wor-Gar's pics and Gifs and they definitely reinforce my opinion (to me). :wink1:

Last edited:

Well... this will not be the last Maul head... nor the last time I upgrade my TPM Maul. The more the merrier.

I may need a Naboo Duel Maul now though... UGH! Down the Rabbit Hole...

I understand and having neither, I can only go by posted photos but to me, the 18 just captures Park better and the 17, while definitely a good sculpt, just doesn't look like Park, to me.

But I passed on the HT versions, as I feel that the SS version, while perhaps having some issues, is the best sculpt of the lot.

EDIT: I just saw Wor-Gar's pics and Gifs and they definitely reinforce my opinion (to me). :wink1:

Lol, I was just typing a general reply to this MEGA-THREAD when I caught an email notification with your reply FlyAndFlight! I?m loving that you have the balls to come out and speak the truth which I can try to provide some context to help others understand that you aren?t talking out of your ass. So I personally own every 1/4 SSC Maul statue, the 1/2 Bust, the 1/6 figure and the DX17 & DX18. I did not buy the LSB Maul Bust nor the 1/5 Mythos Maul not because they are in anyway bad, just that 1/4 and 1/6 are my mains and branching out to more scales (sizes) would turn my life into a bottomless pit of *****; however I have seen the LSB Maul Bust in person and was amazed how eerily similar the 1/1, the 1/2 the newest 1/4 (the last one with light up sabers) and the SSC 1/6 duel on Naboo headsculpts look. Through the grapevine, I heard that they originally started with the 1/1 headsculpt which obviously has the most details and when moving down sizes, saved R&D sculpting money by shrinking to 1/2, then to 1/4 and finally to 1/6. Since I do own 3 of the 4, I can say with some confidence that is what SSC did exactly which actually worked out well. I think a major reason that it worked for Maul is that even though he is humanoid, the horns, tattoos and skin colors are what immediately draws our eyes whereas trying this with a 100% human headsculpt might not have produced the same results.

As with many new things on the horizon, the new CW Maul doesn?t just have positives going for it, but also certain expectations. In terms of overall figure, I am inclined to assume that the CW version will be the overall best aside from the single bend elbows. The red skin tones should be lightened up from TPM headsculpt to match both the figure?s chest as well as the show?s brighter red tones. And as far as the 3 dual bladed lightsabers that Maul has had in his possession over the course of his canon story, I must say that the one coming with CW Maul has to be my favorite mostly because the stolen inquisitor saber looks like a mangled mess, TPM is just too big and honestly boring (the design is just a double reversed Luminara/Plo Koon hilt) whereas the new welded hilt is from Ventress?s final yellow lightsaber which we still have not been told how he acquired the hilt (perhaps he raided Dooku?s vault after Anakin beheaded him). Another point towards the CW Maul being superior is the lack of padding (at least waist up) and the robotic legs are the most humanoid (almost Iron Manish) which will hopefully articulate as well as they look.

My intention for this comment was not to write this novel, it was in fact to just say that I really like the pose I saw and will include at the bottom but the discussion about DX16/17 vs DX18 vs CW Maul had my gears start to spin but then seeing the comment by FAF preferring the SSC Duel on Naboo, I had to speak up about where that headsculpt started life and how easily I can line up my 1/2, 1/4 & 1/6 Mauls to verify how they achieved that headsculpt.

Anyways, I really do like this pose!

Attachments

• 7D81BF1C-74D2-4711-B365-0E92DD140262.jpeg
    7D81BF1C-74D2-4711-B365-0E92DD140262.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 263

Much more lifelike in hand too.

The red angles further past the mouth than the younger Maul... but again, there are many things that make this distinctly Old Maul -- larger horns, tattoo placement, fuller face, etc -- but as others have said, it just looks so much more alive in hand, and more like Park. The brighter red and the more realistic sculpt were the two main reasons I decided to buy the head to replace my DX17.

If you mimic his expression, baring his teeth, it does make your face fuller if that helps. :)

Glad to hear you like it Wor :hi5:

It's really an awesome piece. I might sell mine just b/c it's not going to work with my envisioned Mythos custom I was going to do. But it's such a cool piece (the head and the body) that I can't just yet pull myself to sell them

Lol, I was just typing a general reply to this MEGA-THREAD when I caught an email notification with your reply FlyAndFlight! I?m loving that you have the balls to come out and speak the truth which I can try to provide some context to help others understand that you aren?t talking out of your ass. So I personally own every 1/4 SSC Maul statue, the 1/2 Bust, the 1/6 figure and the DX17 & DX18. I did not buy the LSB Maul Bust nor the 1/5 Mythos Maul not because they are in anyway bad, just that 1/4 and 1/6 are my mains and branching out to more scales (sizes) would turn my life into a bottomless pit of *****; however I have seen the LSB Maul Bust in person and was amazed how eerily similar the 1/1, the 1/2 the newest 1/4 (the last one with light up sabers) and the SSC 1/6 duel on Naboo headsculpts look. Through the grapevine, I heard that they originally started with the 1/1 headsculpt which obviously has the most details and when moving down sizes, saved R&D sculpting money by shrinking to 1/2, then to 1/4 and finally to 1/6. Since I do own 3 of the 4, I can say with some confidence that is what SSC did exactly which actually worked out well. I think a major reason that it worked for Maul is that even though he is humanoid, the horns, tattoos and skin colors are what immediately draws our eyes whereas trying this with a 100% human headsculpt might not have produced the same results.

As with many new things on the horizon, the new CW Maul doesn?t just have positives going for it, but also certain expectations. In terms of overall figure, I am inclined to assume that the CW version will be the overall best aside from the single bend elbows. The red skin tones should be lightened up from TPM headsculpt to match both the figure?s chest as well as the show?s brighter red tones. And as far as the 3 dual bladed lightsabers that Maul has had in his possession over the course of his canon story, I must say that the one coming with CW Maul has to be my favorite mostly because the stolen inquisitor saber looks like a mangled mess, TPM is just too big and honestly boring (the design is just a double reversed Luminara/Plo Koon hilt) whereas the new welded hilt is from Ventress?s final yellow lightsaber which we still have not been told how he acquired the hilt (perhaps he raided Dooku?s vault after Anakin beheaded him). Another point towards the CW Maul being superior is the lack of padding (at least waist up) and the robotic legs are the most humanoid (almost Iron Manish) which will hopefully articulate as well as they look.

My intention for this comment was not to write this novel, it was in fact to just say that I really like the pose I saw and will include at the bottom but the discussion about DX16/17 vs DX18 vs CW Maul had my gears start to spin but then seeing the comment by FAF preferring the SSC Duel on Naboo, I had to speak up about where that headsculpt started life and how easily I can line up my 1/2, 1/4 & 1/6 Mauls to verify how they achieved that headsculpt.

Anyways, I really do like this pose!

Excellent post and some great information that I wasn't aware of, in regards to the various head sculpts. You did have me laughing out loud with your initial comments! :duff

It certainly makes sense that if their initial sculpt comes out excellent, to reuse it in other scales and platforms.

Time for some COMPARISONS (various lighting) between DX17 and DX18 head on the DX17...

View attachment 501612

View attachment 501613

View attachment 501614

After seeing them side by side, I don't think the DX18 expression works for the Tatooine robes as well as it might for Naboo fighting Maul. Or maybe I just need to get the Tatooine version in more a the fighting mode.

Here's a couple comparisons between DX17 and DX18 heads only...

View attachment 501609

View attachment 501610

Nice comparisons Wor-Gar...Battlefront on the left and Ray Park on the right:)

20201223_072707.jpg

20201223_072951.jpg

This guy arrived on Monday but not opening yet as I am in trade negotiations for Vintage Toltoys and Kenner...������

Opened mine up yesterday and it's great. Hate how easy the hands fall of but love everything else.

Mine was delivered with the earliest batches from SB to SSC (I don?t remember exactly but the wait from HK release to receiving mine in California from SSC was weeks, not months and I know for sure it was less than 30 days because of the charges from SSC to the CC I use clearly showed it was a super fast turn around and had me actually believe that an initial shipment came via air to SSC distribution center). Unfortunately, even though I was extremely excited to add him to my collection, my DX18 was back in the box in less than an hour.

Biggest let down was the lack of arm articulation possessing just a single bend elbow and no upper bicep swivel which I feel is majorly important articulation for a dynamic figure like a Jedi, Sith Lord and in Solo Maul?s case, a 1/2 cyborg crime lord who trained in the dark side to peak physical condition. The painted chest which will be used on the CW Maul too, seems like a unnecessary gimmick for a shirtless Maul instead of being able to duel with his lightsaber looking natural and impressive. So like I said, within an hour, he was back in the box for weeks.

Eventually I rearranged a large section of my collection, mostly SW figures and I thought I?d take another crack at posing him because I have a line of about 10+ figures posed without any ?companion figure? I decided to forgo battle scenes for just individual figure poses. So I took that couch thing he comes with and turned it upside down, used a zip tie on each leg trying for an intimidating pose. Personally, for the setup I?ve gone for the time being, I actually like how he turned out and actually can now appreciate some things designed better than the DX16/17.

Attachments

• 3D00B087-25C3-453A-9F6B-3E80DE3AA059.jpg
    3D00B087-25C3-453A-9F6B-3E80DE3AA059.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 277

IMG_20201227_073248_532.jpg

I wasn't going to open this guy,but man,I'm really glad I did!!!

Mine was delivered with the earliest batches from SB to SSC (I don?t remember exactly but the wait from HK release to receiving mine in California from SSC was weeks, not months and I know for sure it was less than 30 days because of the charges from SSC to the CC I use clearly showed it was a super fast turn around and had me actually believe that an initial shipment came via air to SSC distribution center). Unfortunately, even though I was extremely excited to add him to my collection, my DX18 was back in the box in less than an hour.

Biggest let down was the lack of arm articulation possessing just a single bend elbow and no upper bicep swivel which I feel is majorly important articulation for a dynamic figure like a Jedi, Sith Lord and in Solo Maul?s case, a 1/2 cyborg crime lord who trained in the dark side to peak physical condition. The painted chest which will be used on the CW Maul too, seems like a unnecessary gimmick for a shirtless Maul instead of being able to duel with his lightsaber looking natural and impressive. So like I said, within an hour, he was back in the box for weeks.

Eventually I rearranged a large section of my collection, mostly SW figures and I thought I?d take another crack at posing him because I have a line of about 10+ figures posed without any ?companion figure? I decided to forgo battle scenes for just individual figure poses. So I took that couch thing he comes with and turned it upside down, used a zip tie on each leg trying for an intimidating pose. Personally, for the setup I?ve gone for the time being, I actually like how he turned out and actually can now appreciate some things designed better than the DX16/17.

How did you get one with single jointed elbows? Mine and every one I've seen in reviews show an impressive double bend.

This figure is cool. The leg detail just looks better as a collectible than CW's plain design.

20201227_192124.jpg
20201227_192117.jpg

Great shots everyone! Looking cool!

Only reason I’m posting this question on this thread is that it’s currently the thread with the latest & most responses for a HT’s figure of a lightsaber wielding figure.

I’m trying to figure out what those damn “blade in motion” attachments do for most figures besides sit in the box and pretend to be a usable accessory. Sorry, I don’t mean to be so negative because I’d seriously love to know how any posers decide on using that thing instead of the regular thin blade? Currently, I have 11 lightsaber blades displayed on my figures and only Ep. II Yoda who is flying out of the corner of my besta (I screwed the dynamic pole into the particle board) so he’s got a nice amount of height, sense of motion and I also think it works because his saber is so small. I had my DX17 posed leaping off the Bloodfin (ala XM Maul like pose) and tried using 2 of the motion blades (NOPE) then just tried 1 since we don’t see the 2 blades at once until Naboo (AGAIN, NOPE) then I went to 1 or 2 of the standard blades and he looked good.

I’m thinking that it’s not just a dynamic pose showing motion that allows those motion blades to work, there’s got to be something else. Anyone?

Finally got Maul out for some pics. Really well done figure.

D5B2677A-9112-441A-952A-CB2BA9A8BC3A.jpg

83219F72-74E0-4615-9978-DA861A573CA1.jpg

Waiting for mine to ship. Paid my last flex payment on Christmas Day and Sideshow shows the status as preparing to ship still. I’m guessing they’re a bit backed up after the holidays though.

Looking good Coco.

Grrrrrrrrr.....makes me more frustrated about FedEx misdirecting my package with this one and Cody. It is good to see and hear that this is a great figure. The shots in here are looking good. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the cool shots as the wait continues.

Back