Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone with damage notice any warning signs before it started to crack? Like did the rubber appear to warp in any way first? Just wondering if there are any signs that the cracks will be coming.

To all those who want to cancel - Here's a different angle of view:
Yes, I agree that this is BS, and should not have happened, but - It did. Now, can we live with it? I can. Because this is my only chance to get a favorite figure, of THAT SIZE, with that level of ARTICULATION, and that PRICE.
So yes, it sucks. But I will fix it, either by greasing it up, replacing it with a custom dome, or whatever other solution, but there is no way I am paying more than double for a statue, or compromising for a non 1/6 scale.
So, think before you cancel.

To all those who want to cancel - Here's a different angle of view:
Yes, I agree that this is BS, and should not have happened, but - It did. Now, can we live with it? I can. Because this is my only chance to get a favorite figure, of THAT SIZE, with that level of ARTICULATION, and that PRICE.
So yes, it sucks. But I will fix it, either by greasing it up, replacing it with a custom dome, or whatever other solution, but there is no way I am paying more than double for a statue, or compromising for a non 1/6 scale.
So, think before you cancel.

I'm sure a lot of people said the same thing the first time around. They'll release another one, they do it all the time.

I am not going to be happy knowing that I paid $400+ for a do it a t home kit, **** that.

I just had an in-depth conversation about this with William Mendoza at Sideshow; He was very friendly and up-front, and basically confirmed what I already suspected. A brief summery of the results of that conversation:

1) There have only been a small handful of complaints to Sideshow thus far; as more complaints come in, the issue will be taken more seriously.
2) Although William promised an attempt WILL be made to communicate directly with Hot Toys about the possibility of HT producing hard plastic replacement domes, the chances of that happening are virtually nil.
3) Sideshow cannot produce replacement domes themselves, for lack of movie license.
4) Those who applied my custom decals or altered their ED-209 in any other fashion have voided their returns option with Sideshow.
5) Returns, exchanges and/or refunds WILL be honored on a continuing basis for those who experience problems with the domes.

Well, it looks like the pressure is on for me to produce hard plastic domes...

Well, Andrew.
I´ll be looking thoroughly at my ED, but will check back at your threads once in a while to see if you already made´em.
With that said:
2 flies with one hit. When the dome needs to be replaced, we can look right away if it´s possible to deepen the mouth.

:lol

Mine hasn't cracked as of yet and it has had the occasional hit of direct sunlight which is unavoidable due to the the bay window in my flat. Will be keeping my eye on this for sure though

:lol and there's already a HT arselicker there to tell people how it is.

Lol. Unbelievable.

How long did it take for your first ed. ED 209 to start showing cracks on the rubber, a-dev? I know you probably said it a million times, but I can't remember....

Did anyone with damage notice any warning signs before it started to crack? Like did the rubber appear to warp in any way first? Just wondering if there are any signs that the cracks will be coming.
i thought mine looked just fine until i took a pic of it and posted it here
it almost looks like there is some sagging in the front, i can almost see on the cneter left hand side where a crack could start to develop, you can almost see waves in the rubber

Lol. Unbelievable.

How long did it take for your first ed. ED 209 to start showing cracks on the rubber, a-dev? I know you probably said it a million times, but I can't remember....

I only noticed it for the first time last year I think. I've had it since 06 or 07. Still too soon to be seeing a high-end toy falling apart though.

These are the pics I took when I was going to be selling it (which I later decided not to bother)

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...e-more-recent-Classic-)&p=5818243#post5818243

Last edited:
Probably some idiot mixing the wrong formula, to much or to less of something. Very strange to be happening so quickly.

All jokes aside, the guys who are saying people should make an uproar are right. HT has been caring less and less and they get off scot-free with too much. They've been insulting us for awhile now with price hikes that are getting hard to make sense of. When something like this happens they need to start taking accountability and stop hiding behind this invisible barrier between them and the customers that they've created.

I don't want a full refund, I want an ED on my shelf. If this is an epidemic they should be blasted with emails and on FB until they have no choice but to provide replacement domes to save face
THIS :clap And I have already :wink1:

With all this going on I think we need to get a couple of polls going. I don't think I have permission to create them though. :dunno :lol

I think its too early for a poll. Most people wouldn't have any deterioration at this point. What the few examples of it have shown though is that it more than likely will happen to them, far sooner than is expected for a high-end toy at this price.

Yea good point. Maybe a few months from now we can see where everyone's ED stands. It looks like they are all destined to the same fate though and it looks like it's not going to take all that long.

I've got a few slight paint chips here and there, which is annoying. Just from finding poses and playing around with articulation.

i thought mine looked just fine until i took a pic of it and posted it here
it almost looks like there is some sagging in the front, i can almost see on the cneter left hand side where a crack could start to develop, you can almost see waves in the rubber

As we've all compared notes, that's just how they all look right out of the box. Too early to say if there's a connection to that cosmetic flaw inherent in all of them and the deterioration. Likely, just more apathy on the part of Hot Toys as to quality control.

As we've all compared notes, that's just how they all look right out of the box. Too early to say if there's a connection to that cosmetic flaw inherent in all of them and the deterioration. Likely, just more apathy on the part of Hot Toys as to quality control.

I'm not talking about the flaw on the lower rim that everyone has
I'm talking about the waves that look like they are developing in the rubber
Look above the lower rim, slightly to the mid left of the pic, you can see how it almost looks like its starting to sag

The ones that cracked looked like waves, imo

Back