Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOGO-Hot-Toys - Copy.jpg

I just had an in-depth conversation about this with William Mendoza at Sideshow; He was very friendly and up-front, and basically confirmed what I already suspected. A brief summery of the results of that conversation:

1) There have only been a small handful of complaints to Sideshow thus far; as more complaints come in, the issue will be taken more seriously.
2) Although William promised an attempt WILL be made to communicate directly with Hot Toys about the possibility of HT producing hard plastic replacement domes, the chances of that happening are virtually nil.
3) Sideshow cannot produce replacement domes themselves, for lack of movie license.
4) Those who applied my custom decals or altered their ED-209 in any other fashion have voided their returns option with Sideshow.
5) Returns, exchanges and/or refunds WILL be honored on a continuing basis for those who experience problems with the domes.

Well, it looks like the pressure is on for me to produce hard plastic domes...

Just do it! :rock

Jesus, I just wondered in here to see what folk are sticking on their ED's this week and am flabbergasted to see this already.
If this is widespread, this quickly, HT may have a DX02 Oily Batman beater on their hands. I wonder are people leaving them in sunlight? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this damage this quickly.

Well done HT! :clap

I live about 4 miles East of the Eastern shore of San Francisco Bay. It gets very hot here in the summer, but I have good AC running. In the winter, it gets fairly cold and damp inside the house. I can't really figure out why these conditions would spare ALL FIVE of my alien figure's rubber suits for six years now...
I have the hot weather controlled with the AC, but I can't do anything about the damp of the rainy months of winter; so I'm going to do the ED domes long before that time comes.
...and thanks ebor, I'm doing my best.

One other thing: I'm seeing in all the photos of the beginning stages of cracking, the domes all appear to have a very matte surface. Mine came out of the box looking somewhat shiny, as if a fine layer of oil had been sprayed on. Mine still looks that way, very different from the matte in the photos. I'm wondering if HT produced a batch of EDs without treating the rubber, then in mid-stream they started applying some kind of sealer to the rubber domes, and I was lucky enough to receive the treated version. Comments?

Hey Anthrapoid: it only seems matte because of the light the pictures are taken in.
When I turn on my camera flash my dome is in a very dark, shiny black.

In this light you can see the cracks better.

I've left comments and pictures on there facebook and on hot toys community facebook page, doubt they will see though, but at least others will be warned.
They need to be embarrassed, maybe then they will take notice.

That's what I think too!
But a lot of people just wanna hold still... god knows why.

Ok, got an answer feom HT this morning, asking for the receipt and pictures.

I provided those in addition to pictures from other collectors and suggested that they team up with collectors to find a solution for this.

Pretty naive, I know.
But let's try it that nice way before we photobomb their FB page with pictures. ;)

Got home checked the dome no deterioration as of yet. The dome still has that tacky wet look about it still. I wonder if hot toys infamously weak glue is some how the culprit, causing a chemical reaction over time. Around the lateral edges I can see faint glue residue on the border, and the rubber appears to be dryer and less tacky in these spots. Why did they not just use a painted plastic? I have seen speakers from the 70s using a plastic fabric, of which this dome seems to mimic that is still fine to this day. Shoddy choice of materials again Hot Toys.

That seems to be the norm. Mine and everyone else's without cracks so far look just like yours. But what awaits us in a couple months?

As consumers, do we return them in disgust to show HT they can't get away with it or as collectors make do with the only choice available to us?

It's also completely inexplicable and confounding on their part. The rubber rot issue on the first release was widespread and well documented. For some, it began rotting and cracking very very quickly maybe due to extremes of climate or something - for others like me in more moderate climates it took a few years - but it is now happening. It was inevitable.

I don't know what this material is, rubber? Silicone? Whatever, looks like its going to be cracking and rotting just like on the first ED-209. Why not go with hard plastic? Why tempt fate again? Ridiculous.

Why tempt fate? Because HT don't give a ****, all their items sell out, and people aren't demanding they action it.

And their next rubbish figure will sell out as well. No matter how crap it is.

It was supposed to arrive to european dealers beginning of july but now it's end of july or the week after. I got upset a week ago, but now it might be for the best. I didn't get the chance to buy this crap.

I asked earlier in the thread if someone had tried or thought of dabbing silicone oil on the dome. It works on most plastics and rubbers and if applied there is no chance in hell of said rubber cracking. I now of people that have 30-40 year old rubber boots that are routinely rubbed with silicone oil.

It's silicon oil of course so it might not exactly be what you want to pour on your collectibles, but instead of the surface cracking? :dunno

It was supposed to arrive to european dealers beginning of july but now it's end of july or the week after. I got upset a week ago, but now it might be for the best. I didn't get the chance to buy this crap.

I asked earlier in the thread if someone had tried or thought of dabbing silicone oil on the dome. It works on most plastics and rubbers and if applied there is no chance in hell of said rubber cracking. It's silicon oil of course so it might not exactly be what you want to pour on your collectibles, but instead of the surface cracking?

If it's that or your rubber turning to snot?

I'd go the silicon oil.

They should have made it from either hard plastic or vinyl. Either would have outlasted me.

I've paid about £200 already on my order from onesixthbruce. I wonder if i can get it refunded? I don't want it now if the dome is having problems again. :(

Back