Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is outrageous! I just opened mine but I'm already a couple weeks into my return policy. I was already worried about the rubber used when this thread ignited today. Even out of the box, the edges are a bit warped and you can see that they did spray some kind of sealant on it. I was here looking to see if my out-of-the-box cosmetic flaws were the norm and now these new reports of deterioration! Anthrapoid - what do you mean by "continuing basis"? Will Sideshow be refunding if they deteriorate AFTER 30 days?

View attachment 119732
William said they would be offering refunds and/or exchanges beyond the 30 days.

That WOULD have been reassuring (sort of) until the reports of total deterioration.

It's not meant to be reassuring, but that specifically is not deterioration. When I say everbody's looked exactly like that, I mean exactly: every single dome for MMS-204 was molded like that. It's certainly a flaw and not something any of us should like, but just so we're clear, that in and of itself is not a sign of the end.

I've left comments and pictures on there facebook and on hot toys community facebook page, doubt they will see though, but at least others will be warned.
They need to be embarrassed, maybe then they will take notice.

I see they responded to that (well, whoever it is that runs that page) telling you to email the customer services department with pics and the sales receipt.

What use is that Hot Toys? An exchange in this case is pointless so you're talking refunds. Why did you do nothing to avert this headache, as you so easily could have after 8 ****ing years of complaints about the deterioration on the first release? Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Morons.

So my question is will Sideshow take this back now outside the 30 day return window even if it has no damage yet? Or do we have to just sit and wait for this to fall apart which it most likely will in a few days or a few months.

It's not meant to be reassuring, but that specifically is not deterioration. When I say everbody's looked exactly like that, I mean exactly: every single dome for MMS-204 was molded like that. It's certainly a flaw and not something any of us should like, but just so we're clear, that in and of itself is not a sign of the end.

Only reassuring in that if they all look like that, then there is no reason to exchange it simply for that flaw (case closed, move on). But now we have the looming threat once again of deterioration.

So my question is will Sideshow take this back now outside the 30 day return window even if it has no damage yet? Or do we have to just sit and wait for this to fall apart which it most likely will in a few days or a few months.

Force crack it yourself. It will happen eventually.

I mean, screw this ****.

Got home checked the dome no deterioration as of yet. The dome still has that tacky wet look about it still. I wonder if hot toys infamously weak glue is some how the culprit, causing a chemical reaction over time. Around the lateral edges I can see faint glue residue on the border, and the rubber appears to be dryer and less tacky in these spots. Why did they not just use a painted plastic? I have seen speakers from the 70s using a plastic fabric, of which this dome seems to mimic that is still fine to this day. Shoddy choice of materials again Hot Toys.

Well, it's not like Hot Toys didn't have a heads up before they manufactured these. That's all we talked about.

I don't know why they were stubborn and went with rubber anyway. They could have just sculpted it as a solid plastic piece.

Well, it's not like Hot Toys didn't have a heads up before they manufactured these. That's all we talked about.

I don't know why they were stubborn and went with rubber anyway. They could have just sculpted it as a solid plastic piece.

Yeah. There was never a discussion or mention of the original ED-209 without the dome deterioration coming up. I can't fathom how they could ignore all that.

I saw all the movement in this thread and for a minute I thought it would be positive talk coming from a bunch of ED-pumped-peeps. I should know better

Just checked mine and all is good. No cracks, melts, or beginning signs of damage here either. Still has the sheen too. Maybe I'll get lucky since I seem to live in one of those rubber safe zones. No issues with any of my 5 Aliens, King Leo or DX02. Maybe I'll continue to get lucky. Maybe not

W T F

Hot Toys had a guaranteed international sale with ED-209. Renovation program, spare parts for 25 years! Who cares if it worked or not?

Will Hot Toys replace this dome?

10518711_817173011649950_8177814330577574056_n.jpg

Wow, all news to me. What a shame that they went with an inferior material on a $400 product. Just totally unnecessary. I guess I was part of the problem, now that I think about it. :lol Quick to say I'd grab a custom from Antrapoid if the domes ever started deteriorating, but even so, I was expecting them to last more than a couple months.

Yeah. There was never a discussion or mention of the original ED-209 without the dome deterioration coming up. I can't fathom how they could ignore all that.
It's easy to fathom: Hot Toys knew they would save money by reusing many of the same metal molds from the 2006 edition (the dome and maybe the top of the head) AND they knew people would place orders. The richard-heads have our money, mission accomplished.

Hot Toys had a guaranteed international sale with ED-209. Renovation program, spare parts for 25 years! Who cares if it worked or not?

Perhaps you're aware of the statue ED-209 developed by Chronicle Collectibles as a contingency against just this sort of thing?

Back