Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My god Hot Toys are muppets :cuckoo:
My old car is 14 years old, all the rubber is fine, its out in all weathers, I've even have had some cheapo wipers on there for the last 4 years and nothing, they're still good as new.
Hot Toys are a joke, what are they using ffs, it must be the cheapest rubber known to man to be degrading already, It also shows they take no notice of there customers concerns, arrogant pricks...

I just had an in-depth conversation about this with William Mendoza at Sideshow; He was very friendly and up-front, and basically confirmed what I already suspected. A brief summery of the results of that conversation:

1) There have only been a small handful of complaints to Sideshow thus far; as more complaints come in, the issue will be taken more seriously.
2) Although William promised an attempt WILL be made to communicate directly with Hot Toys about the possibility of HT producing hard plastic replacement domes, the chances of that happening are virtually nil.
3) Sideshow cannot produce replacement domes themselves, for lack of movie license.
4) Those who applied my custom decals or altered their ED-209 in any other fashion have voided their returns option with Sideshow.
5) Returns, exchanges and/or refunds WILL be honored on a continuing basis for those who experience problems with the domes.

Well, it looks like the pressure is on for me to produce hard plastic domes...

The dome on my NECA ED-209 is holding up just fine ;)

Sorry. That was a low blow. Just kidding. Seriously though, I feel for you who have already been affected and I really hope this doesn't end up being as bad as HT's previous ED-209.

I just had an in-depth conversation about this with William Mendoza at Sideshow; He was very friendly and up-front, and basically confirmed what I already suspected. A brief summery of the results of that conversation:

1) There have only been a small handful of complaints to Sideshow thus far; as more complaints come in, the issue will be taken more seriously.
2) Although William promised an attempt WILL be made to communicate directly with Hot Toys about the possibility of HT producing hard plastic replacement domes, the chances of that happening are virtually nil.
3) Sideshow cannot produce replacement domes themselves, for lack of movie license.
4) Those who applied my custom decals or altered their ED-209 in any other fashion have voided their returns option with Sideshow.
5) Returns, exchanges and/or refunds WILL be honored on a continuing basis for those who experience problems with the domes.

Well, it looks like the pressure is on for me to produce hard plastic domes...

Wow that would be amazing if you could do that :clap
Would these be expensive?

Its just absurd. You wouldn't have scripted such idiocy.

-For all the years since its release not a page of discussion about the old ED-209 would ever go by without the rubber dome issues being mentioned.
-In the entire run-up to the release of this ED-209, from its initial reveal right up to its appearance on one of those ''releasing soon'' group shot posters, people continuously asked ''I wonder what they've used for the dome please tell me its not rubber again''
-I know for a fact people sent them images of the rot on their old ED figures

Surely owners in China experienced the same crap and would have complained about it just as we did over the past 8 years that its been. So I ask....what the ****?? How could HT be so completely ignorant of it all.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if some rubber sealant will help preserve, mine isn't as shiny as it was new

I'm wondering if some rubber sealant will help preserve, mine isn't as shiny as it was new

Do you know of a good rubber sealant? I was thinking of Marine matt varnish for when mine arrives, do you think this would work?

I've left comments and pictures on there facebook and on hot toys community facebook page, doubt they will see though, but at least others will be warned.
They need to be embarrassed, maybe then they will take notice.

Checked mine when I got home and no issues yet. So now I'm wondering if I wait it out or sell this before the cracking begins...

I've been using 303 wipes for the rubber on my Batman figures. Not sure how it works long term, but other posters like "Batman Professor" have recommended it.

Sorry to all the people who are having problems already. There's no excuse, Hot Toys. I really wanted to get this, but I'm not shelling out 400 plus bucks on this now.

All you guys who have faulty domes should get together and file a class action lawsuit. Right now HT just doesn't give a **** as long as they have your money but I think if enough people threaten to sue then they'll have to do something. Don't let HT get away with this. They knew the problems from the first release and it looks like they blatantly ignored it.

I had this on order but cancelled. I'm glad I did now but it sucks for those who are having problems.

This is outrageous! I just opened mine but I'm already a couple weeks into my return policy. I was already worried about the rubber used when this thread ignited today. Even out of the box, the edges are a bit warped and you can see that they did spray some kind of sealant on it. I was here looking to see if my out-of-the-box cosmetic flaws were the norm and now these new reports of deterioration! Anthrapoid - what do you mean by "continuing basis"? Will Sideshow be refunding if they deteriorate AFTER 30 days?

eddome.JPG

If you're just talking about the bottom edge on the front, everybody's ED looked exactly like that when it was new.

Back