Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, I've been trying to resist entering the non-Predator/Alien collector lands for quite some time. But the HT DeLorean proved to be one magnificent gateway drug. And here I am.

I've read the last 130 pages or so of this thread, and although a magnificent beast when portrayed in pics, most discussions has revolved around the rubber deterioration.

I don't think it'll keep me from getting him, but I was wondering whether at this point, November 2017, there are any ED's out there with an intact dome and limb/hip rubber? If so, was it tested or non-treated? If treated, when and with what?

Thanks in advance for any all input into this. Trying to get to the bottom of this and see if there's any hope, or if a rubber protector is mandatory. And if so, Honda, Pflege, Modge Podge, or something else?

treated mine with modge podge. had it first day it came out, still pristine.

Folks, I've been trying to resist entering the non-Predator/Alien collector lands for quite some time. But the HT DeLorean proved to be one magnificent gateway drug. And here I am.

I've read the last 130 pages or so of this thread, and although a magnificent beast when portrayed in pics, most discussions has revolved around the rubber deterioration.

I don't think it'll keep me from getting him, but I was wondering whether at this point, November 2017, there are any ED's out there with an intact dome and limb/hip rubber? If so, was it tested or non-treated? If treated, when and with what?

Thanks in advance for any all input into this. Trying to get to the bottom of this and see if there's any hope, or if a rubber protector is mandatory. And if so, Honda, Pflege, Modge Podge, or something else?
Treated mine with rubber sillicone spray the minute i unpacked it. Takes no longer than 5 minutes. Have it for 3 years now, still looks absolutely perfect.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

Got mine also when first released.
Treated with Honda Shin-Etsu grease, one time only - Still looks like new, no cracks, fading, or dry rot.
718cvMfkzKL._SX757_.jpg

Hi, I've had a look through some posts and couldn't find any photos of the damaged dome. Is this what people are talking about?
Is it worth starting to treatment to prevent further damage? I've had this open and in my detolf since it got released 2014 (was it that long ago?!).

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_9025.JPG
    IMG_9025.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 141
Yes and yes it is worth it. Since it already started to crack, use the Modge Podge. You can order it or pick it up from Micheal’s or JoAnns fabric. You need to decide if you should go full gloss or satin finish.

I may be picking one of these up soon as well... Dome looks good in pics, some light cracking in one of the joint covers.

I have some of the Honda grease on the way. Is there a certain method you guys are using to apply it?

Thanks!

Sallah

I have some of the Honda grease on the way. Is there a certain method you guys are using to apply it?

Very easily to do. I used a brand new microfiber towel. Applied the Honda grease to the towel and then gently and evenly applied to ED209 dome.

I did 2 applications on 2 separate days and haven't done anything since. Dome is in perfect condition.

Any Honda Shin-Etsu grease copycat?
It's hard to find in my country.
I'm not high on modpodge.

Very easily to do. I used a brand new microfiber towel. Applied the Honda grease to the towel and then gently and evenly applied to ED209 dome.

I did 2 applications on 2 separate days and haven't done anything since. Dome is in perfect condition.

Awesome! Thank you!

Should I treat the rubber joint coverings as well?

Sallah

Folks, are there any pros and cons with either method (Mod Podge & Shin Etsu)? Does the silicone grease leave the rubber surface sticky? Does the Mod Podge matte and glossy have the same exact effect outside of the finish difference?

I've got an ED incoming now and will treat it out of the box. Was leaning towards the Mod Podge route due to its one-and-done-ness, but it seems the Shin Etsu stuff might only require a couple of treatments and that's that, too. What should I do?

Has anyone who applied Mod or Shin experienced any cracks AFTER application at some point?

In the automotive detailing crowd, 303 Protectant is the one to use on rubber (among other surfaces.) I'm don't know if anyone uses it on collectibles, but I sure will. It's done wonders my old cars. It's matte finish, repels against dirt, and protects/makes it look new. Doesn't make surfaces sticky, and wipes off if it gets on paint (but supposedly it's okay on paint too.) It's like a magic spray. On sale on Amazon right now.

They always say don't use Armor All crap, as it contains silicone that's damaging to rubber over time. I just did some quick research on Shin Etsu, and it appears to be Honda recommended; but I'm not sure why it has silicone - or if it's the bad silicone. I just know 303 is amazing.

I've applied Shin Etsu the day I got ED-209 back when it was first released. Only applied it once and the rubber is still in excellent condition today.

Fiveainone, 303 you say? How is that different compared to Mod Podge and Shin Etsu? Do you have to re-treat every now and then?

Toyrewind, I thought you used Mod Podge on yours? But must've been your Aliens then. Having experienced both, would you recommend one of the two more for this ED task?

Wish there was a method that's clearly superior so one didn't have to choose between the now three options.

Has anyone experienced cracking DESPITE treatment with any of the three aforementioned rubber care methods?

This is a pretty old thread that I’ve followed for quite some time. All the questions you guys are asking have been asked and answered. Just read back through the thread.

Appreciate the feedback, however I've read all pages from release and onward (mid-2014 to date). Still feel unsure about what's best. And whether anyone has experienced any cracks/deterioration post any of the treatments. Mind pointing towards the answer I(/we?) might've missed?

Well OM1D it appears you have a choice to make...
Apparently each method has worked long term as there seems to be no information of continued rubber degradation after chosen application. I used Mod Podge on mine because the cracks were already forming a few months after I got it back in 2014. And as you know, mine (dome) is still good to this day. Toyrewinds video pretty much sums it all up perfectly. Some people apply MP to a pristine dome and I have not heard of any adverse effects from this. And to those who apply shin etsu grease or 303 have all claimed outstanding results.

Back