Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a few of you guys sent emails asking about the dome, any replies?
I wasn't expecting a reply, because that would force HT to acknowledge they made a mistake in the first place. Just receiving multiple emails about it, and a tragic photo, might be enough to make them use plastic- if they weren't planning to already.

Here's the link to email Hot Toys through their website form:

https://www.hottoys.com.hk/contact.php

Tell them you want the dome to be plastic, not rubber!
Remember the $410 price tag... and please re-quote this post from time to time,
so it will be seen by many who have already pre-ordered and by those who will.
Maybe the photo below will inspire you all to action...
eddome002.jpg
<<< https://www.hottoys.com.hk/contact.php >>>
I think others should keep sending emails about this. Just click the link above, it's easy. We have eight months to wait for ED,
and we don't want Hot Toys to blow us off and ignore the situation, even if they don't reply directly.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting a reply, because that would force HT to acknowledge they made a mistake in the first place. Just receiving multiple emails about it, and a tragic photo, might be enough to make them use plastic- if they weren't planning to already.

True. Has anything been said on the matter? Anyone heard anything? The dome, that is.

Do you guys think the toes will be movable separately?

That would be a cool feature.
Didn't like the "toe" articulation on the old EDdy.

100% silicon grease will keep the rubber dome from cracking you can buy it from most divers shops. I used this stuff on my old one
I mean no disrespect, but I think that's a bad idea for several reasons. The stickiness will attract dust, hair, and whatever else might be floating in the air. It would make the dome perpetually sticky to the touch. Also, silicone, even if suspended within some inert oily medium such as petroleum jelly, is toxic.
The silicone grease divers use is formulated to be compatible with the neoprene fabric diving suits, which will wear out over time and can be replaced. Neoprene degrades in a few short years, because salt water and oxidation break it down. (and of course, the manufacturers want you to buy a $hiny new diving suit every few years) This $410 toy is intended to be as long-lasting as possible, or at least it should be. The specific type of rubber HT used for the 2006 version of ED-209 might not be the same type of rubber they use this time, if they do use rubber. This time around there might be a chemical reaction between the rubber and the silicone which did not occur with your 2006 version.

IF Hot Toys is stupid enough to use a low-quality rubber again, the best solution in my opinion is to have the dome replaced with a custom-made plastic one. I know I will be making them, if the dome is rubber.

Last edited:
Yes it is- it was posted at a Hong Kong toy site along with other pictures which definitely identify it.
Hot Toys has become so much better at articulation in recent years; I have the Iron Monger, and its toes/feet are extremely well articulated.

Last edited:
I mean no disrespect, but I think that's a bad idea for several reasons. The stickiness will attract dust, hair, and whatever else might be floating in the air. It would make the dome perpetually sticky to the touch. Also, silicone, even if suspended within some inert oily medium such as petroleum jelly, is toxic.
The silicone grease divers use is formulated to be compatible with the neoprene fabric diving suits, which will wear out over time and can be replaced. Neoprene degrades in a few short years, because salt water and oxidation break it down. (and of course, the manufacturers want you to buy a $hiny new diving suit every few years) This $410 toy is intended to be as long-lasting as possible, or at least it should be. The specific type of rubber HT used for the 2006 version of ED-209 might not be the same type of rubber they use this time, if they do use rubber. This time around there might be a chemical reaction between the rubber and the silicone which did not occur with your 2006 version.

IF Hot Toys is stupid enough to use a low-quality rubber again, the best solution in my opinion is to have the dome replaced with a custom-made plastic one. I know I will be making them, if the dome is rubber.

No disrespect taken bud all the above comments made I didn't know. I used to be big into cars and had a hard top we used to use it as a trick to rub into the seals to corse them to swell and stop them from leaking.

I did only use a minamal amount to stop it from shrinking further and drying out.

Back