Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cracking on either of mine. I'll bet the accelerated aging and premature cracking is caused by the Styrofoam packaging. Styrofoam can emit ozone and volatiles when exposed to heat. These substances when trapped in the packaging will start a chain reaction that will cause the plasticizer to migrate from plastics and rubber. Don't leave ED (or any other figure for that matter) in a box that will be exposed to heat for any period of time. Exposure to hot summer temperatures and storage conditions could result in irreversible damage in as little as a few days of exposure under the right circumstances.

I just took my ED-209 out of the box for the second time since it was delivered to me on June 26th. Mine has no cracking issues at the moment. It sits inside its brown shipper box in my living room. The room gets pretty hot during the day while I am at work but nothing I can do about it.

I just bought the Honda silicone grease and applied it on the dome with a microfiber towel just now. I have to put it back inside the box because I dont have a suitable case to display it at the moment. Will check back in a few days to see how it it looks.

I know it's probably been posted back, but could someone link me to the best silicone grease people are using for the rubber?

I know it's probably been posted back, but could someone link me to the best silicone grease people are using for the rubber?

This is the Honda silicone grease tube I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400235078098

genuine-shin-etsu-silicone-grease-all-honda-3585.jpg

I received the silicone grease pictured above today and applied a liberal amount to all the rubber parts. It certainly looks better in that the rubber parts look moisturized. Only took about ten minutes. I just smeared it on with my hands onto the dome and used napkins to wipe off the excess. Used qtips to apply it into the recesses of the accordion parts. The micro tears I had on the dome and accordion parts don't seem as noticeable now.

Hokietwo, how often do you think we ought to put the silicone grease on? I was planning on applying every few months or so.

I received the silicone grease pictured above today and applied a liberal amount to all the rubber parts. It certainly looks better in that the rubber parts look moisturized. Only took about ten minutes. I just smeared it on with my hands onto the dome and used napkins to wipe off the excess. Used qtips to apply it into the recesses of the accordion parts. The micro tears I had on the dome and accordion parts don't seem as noticeable now.

Hokietwo, how often do you think we ought to put the silicone grease on? I was planning on applying every few months or so.
does it leave the surfaces sticky after that?
also the advertisement of that thing says that you have to apply it only once (but they talk about cars).

any of your guys feel that your rage with hot toys has subsided since all the new figures pics were released(batman returns, bd robo, mcfly, ripley)?
bastards!

Not one bit. At the end of the day, they've ****ed up massively, and are letting their customers eat crap instead of doing something about it.

I have a memory span longer than 10 minutes, and dangling shiny things in front of me doesn't make me forget that they have screwed a lot of people out of their money, and don't care.

does it leave the surfaces sticky after that?

No, it should leave them slippery, certainly not sticky.

If anyone's interested, I'm using LRP silicone oil you can buy from R/C shops, 35wt. People use them in shocks.

Not one bit. At the end of the day, they've ****ed up massively, and are letting their customers eat crap instead of doing something about it.

I have a memory span longer than 10 minutes, and dangling shiny things in front of me doesn't make me forget that they have screwed a lot of people out of their money, and don't care.

Same here.
They look great, but my rage of a rotting ED won´t subside one bit.
BUT...Eisselmann´s and my seller told us that he believes, due to the MASSIVE outry, that HT WILL react, they just wanna get past SDCC first.

BTS: I just put a tube of silicone grease in my amazon basket. As long as nothing happens, I will keep ED as good as it gets.

Same here.
They look great, but my rage of a rotting ED won´t subside one bit.
BUT...Eisselmann´s and my seller told us that he believes, due to the MASSIVE outry, that HT WILL react, they just wanna get past SDCC first.

I'll believe it when I see it, AND if they put everyone right, not just those who've purchased through "official" retailers. HT get a damned good chunk of their money from outside of the "official" retailers.

And I just don't know how they'll do that. Neck, legs and arm rubber is also rotting, not just the domes, albeit that's the most visible problem. That requires a full disassemble of the figure. I read somewhere the old ED could be disassembled by unscrewing portions of it, but I can't see that the hex nuts dotted throughout are for anything but show.

technically if he has no body as such it would be either/or.
technically he has no head, as the part with arms must be body and definitely not head, as arms need shoulder girdle, and head is just a skull with no additional parts )
like a spider, though that variant has all legs attached to his head-body.

Last edited:
technically he has no head, as the part with arms must be body and definitely not head, as arms need shoulder girdle, and head is just a skull with no additional parts )
like a spider, though that variant has all legs attached to his head-body.

Be that as it may, you're trying to shoehorn a robot into real world anatomy, but I also don't really care. Point is that rubber part is going to rot as well, and it's by no means an easy swap out.

i saw lots of screws on its down part, do you think they won't work? that what i'll try one day. either to replace or to put that silicone gel there.

Back