Horror...What do you know?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, as a kid I was never a fan of the Hammer films and actually despised them as cheap, campy Universal knockoffs. I've often considered giving them another shot as an adult, but procrastination has always prevented that. This might be the perfect opportunity.

See I've always felt this way too so by and large the Hammer stuff was ignored by me but as Nam stated now that Im older I might give one or two another shot

Watched that video. I thought I'd turn it off after 20 seconds, but it was actually kinda interesting and true. Halloween 6 blows as a sequel, but I do like the atmosphere and visuals of the movie, so I still find it entertaining.

I have to agree with you on this and Im glad you brought it up. Yeah the movie sucks but some of those visuals were pretty kick ass. Like tha scene where the mother of the one of the main characters is crawling away trying to escape from Myers and she looks up behind her and he's there about to come down on her with a hatchet. The scene was in broad daylight so there was a nice contrast of Myers with this hatchet and blue skies behind him, a little different. His mask looked better than it did in 4 and 5 too
The early stuff rivals some of the Universals in atmosphere and story. Its Hammers later stuff that is trashy. Most stuff from 1957-1965 is gold.:lecture
Any personal faves you'd suggest?

Anyway yeah this thread is awesome. I have one that everyone might know but I'll share anyway. Did you know that the killers from Psycho, Silence of the Lambs and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were all inspired from real life murderer and grave robber Ed Gein. Not to mention one of my all time favorite Slayer songs Dead Skin Mask.

See I've always felt this way too so by and large the Hammer stuff was ignored by me but as Nam stated now that Im older I might give one or two another shot

Any personal faves you'd suggest?

The Horror of Dracula
The Brides of Dracula
Dracula, Prince of Darkness

The Mummy (1959) this is my favorite version of the Mummy to be filmed. I like it better than the Chaney vehicles, and it pave the way for the shoot it, stab it, but you can't stop it monsters that were to come.

The Reptile

The Plague of the Zombies(zombies are the voo doo kind and not the Romero kind)

The Curse of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Must be Destroyed

The Curse of the Werewolf

The Gorgon

Great Halloween viewing, and some of the best Hammer stuff.

The Hammer Film's version of The Phantom of the Opera:

--it was originally scripted as an outlet for....CARY GRANT . Yes--seriously. Thats why there is a murderous dwarf who does all the Phantom's wetwork in the film. So Grant could still be a tragic romantic figure without any of the killing.

--The mask for the Phantom was a hodge podged quickie. A variety of masks had been shown to the director and he rejected them all. The art director/make up man threw the now iconic Phantom mask together in a matter of seconds as a joke that he was sure the director would say "no" to. But he loved it. The rest is cinematic history.

--Alfred Hitchcock used mechanical birds, super-imposed on matte painting birds, and REAL birds on the set of The Birds. I read a huge gull was tossed right in Tippi Hedrens face. So some of her terror on screen was real.

--There was a singular actor that starred in all three of the first Universal Classics Dracula, Frankenstein, and Mummy films. And it wasnt Dwight Frye. It was Edward Van Sloan. Who played a doctor in all three flicks. He knew the effect horrors were going to have. Karloff expressed concerns about ruining his career to Van Sloan on the set of the Mummy. Van Sloan replied with---You'll never worry. After Frankenstein---you're a made man. Turns out he was right.

How about some The Shining (1980) trivia?

...did you know that Kubrick considered Robin Williams for the role of Jack Torrance? Word on the street is that they decided against using him, because Kubrick felt Williams was too psychotic. They also considered De Niro for the role, but felt he wasn't psychotic enough, as well as Harrison Ford (no word on what they thought of his mental state, though).

...did you know the blood pouring out of the elevator is called "Kensington Gore"? It's a pun on the London Street of the same name. Kensington Gore was a popular brand of fake blood used in the 60s and 70s, created by a retired British pharmacist. After his death, the name became a sort of general term for all stage blood, much like all facial tissues are Kleenex or all copy machines are Xeroxes.

...did you know that Shelley Duvall and Jack Nicholson broke a world record during the filming of the baseball bat scene on the staircase? Kubrick made them do 127 takes, which broke the world record for number of takes of a single scene with dialog. A couple of people that actually worked on the film said it was more like the mid 50s, however.

Rumor also has it Kubrick actually made Scatman Crothers cry out of frustration over either the bazillion retakes Kubrick wanted for the scene where Halloran is in bed, gettin' his catatonia on, or the bazillion retakes Kubrick wanted for the scene where Halloran explains the shine to Danny.

Nice info on Halloween, I thought though that there was less Dr Loomis in the final cause the actor died during the filming. Hence the producers cut footage of him at the end and him not being in it much. Myers is probably my favorite horror character but the series is a total mess, especially with part 3 but let's not speak of that.

Christopher Lee does not speak in DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Lee rewrote most of his dialog for subsequent outings, inserting lines from Stoker's DRACULA whenever possible.

I also recommend THE VAMPIRE LOVERS - a great Hammer Horror.

Last edited:
Doug Bradley was originally offered a choice of roles in Hellraiser, either one of the mattress movers or the lead Cenobite. Being essentially new to film, he initially thought it should be important for the audience to see his face, and he almost turned down the "Pinhead" role.

Catriona MacColl was so terrified of shooting the "maggot storm" scene in CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD that she had to get drunk before the cameras rolled.

Tisa Farrow, star of ZOMBIE and ANTHROPOPHAGOUS, will not speak of that period of her life, and now works as a nurse in New England.

Did you now the voice on the record from Micheal Jackson s thriller on the end was Vincent Price and he got 1000 bucks for using his voice in the song

Did you know that Kane Hodder had a small part in House II: the Second Story? He was the guy in the gorilla costume with head off at the Halloween party who the skull-steeling Barbarian pushed over the stair rail and landed on the couch.

Hodder, as well as Kirzinger, were both stuntmen who became names for playing Jason (not insulting your intelligence, I know you know, just throwing it out there for others). Hodder also played the part as the security guard who gets turned into the glass door in the first Wishmaster, and I just watched a crappy movie, Dead Noon I think (too lazy to look it up), where he had more face time and lines.

It's very interesting how many house hold names in the motion picture industry have strong ties to the horror industry, or got their start in it. Like someone said about Depp in the first ANOES, there was also Kevin Bacon in the first Friday the 13th. Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, started his directing career in a sci-fi/horror film called Bad Taste, and he also had 2 parts in the film. And of course Sam Raimi directing the Evil Dead films, went on to direct the Spiderman films. Tom Hanks had a role in a horror film, but before shooting started he backed out of it to go do Bosom Buddies. Strong leading men such as Brad Pitt and George Clooney starred in low budget horror films in the '80s, and everyone knows about Jamie Lee Curtis being tagged as a scream queen from getting her start in the original Halloween film (which she hated that moniker). Plus, did anyone know about James Cameron dragging his friends to the theater telling them they had to check this movie out, that movie being The Evil Dead?

Speaking of The Evil Dead, the first was shoot in a Jr High School gymnasium, and in one scene where the camera is panning around quickly,you can see the gymnasium lighting on the ceiling.

Back