Should Hot Toys RE-MAKE the Universal Monsters? (not quite what you think...)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
Do I think Hot Toys should literally remake 12" figures based on the classic Universal horror films? Despite many fans wanting it, I really don't think so and wouldn't be that supportive, even though I do think a HT Karloff Frankenstein Monster or Lugosi Dracula would be amazing.

Why? Sideshow's line is truly iconic, and truly one of the first quality 1/6th scale collections ever produced for any licence. I wouldn't collect the HT or SSC figures I do now, if it wasn't for the Sideshow Monsters. If Hot Toys tackled that licence, not only would they not delve into the wealth of characters SSC did, it would undermine what made that line unique.

However, I would be more than supportive if Hot Toys got the licences to do a line based on remakes/reboots of the Universal horror films. Could you imagine quality, high-end detailed versions of the following:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Gary Oldman as Vlad The Impaler
Old man Dracula w/ bun-hair, red kimono
London Pimp Dracula
Dracula in golden gown
Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Kenneth Branagh as Baron Victor Frankenstein
Robert DeNiro as the Monster

The Mummy
Arnold Vosloo as Imhotep
black robes, w/ mask version
Rotting "Juicy" Mummy version
Egyptian Priest/Fully revitalized version
Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connell

The Wolf Man
Benicio Del Toro as The Wolf Man
Benicio Del Toro as Larry Talbot (maybe a DX 2-in-1)

Of course HT is busier with some of their juicer, more lucrative properties, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd buy more than a couple characters off this list.

Could be a good idea. That gary oldman one seems pretty cool. I vote all the monster squad versions though. Even that bootleg creature.

I was about to come in here with a bunch of "rolleyes" smileys and "Here we go agains" but I actually like your idea. If HT ever got the license, I'd love to see them produce the modern versions of the characters from the movies you noted. Unfortunately, while The Mummy and The Wolfman were made by Universal, TriStar did Frankenstein and American Zoetrope did Dracula so it's not as simple as one license. :(

The SS Monsters are still good for their prices and times. A few I don't see HT making that much of a improvement on. Red Death Phantom, Bride Monster and the Creature are still top notch. A posable Mummy would be nice as woud Ygor.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but the only Universal monster I would love for Hot Toys to tackle would be the Claude Rains Phantom of the Opera, as Sideshow never made him, and he is one of my favorite classic monsters. Too bad it would never happen though. If maybe AmokTime was interested..

The Lon Chaney Wolfman. Sideshow's 8" & 12" both sucked. Sorry. They do. The only two Sideshow Wolfman pieces I think are good are The vs. Frankie diorama and the PF. The PF being the finest piece of "mass" produced (at 600) Wolfman memorabilia ever imho. I still have the 8" and 12"...but I am not that fond of them.

So definitely a Lon Chaney Wolfman.:naughty

Could be a good idea. That gary oldman one seems pretty cool. I vote all the monster squad versions though. Even that bootleg creature.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I would vote for the Gary Oldman as well.

I think it would be awesome to see a Gary Oldman/Vlad with that awesome Red Armor he wore in the beginning.

I thought he was at his creepiest in that dress, so I would like that version the most.

Why wait for HotToys? Take a Hasbro ROTS Palpatine sculpt and pop it on this:

2004-Women-of-Royalty-Queen-Elizabeth.jpg

https://www.dollgenie.com/2004/

NO interest here.

But MEZCO is doing a 1/6 (Del Toro)wolfman :naughty

Based on previous products, and general consensus from rational minds, not only can we guarantee the final product won't look half as good as the prototype, but we've also established that sculpted clothes = :sancho

30005-1.jpg

Back