Horror DVD Suggestions Please

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furystorm

Super Freak
Reaction score
What are your personal favorite three horror films of all time?

I've been beefing up my horror DVD collection and even broke it out into a cabinet of its own recently, and would like suggestions on members personal favorite three horror films of all time. I've recently picked up the entire lot of Romero Dead films, Near Dark (which I only discovered through reading this board), Suspiria, Romero's Martin (encouraged by the documentary on the Dawn of the Dead), and the original Nosferatu. I enjoy the entire range of horror films, but lately feel like nothing actually frightens me. Is it possible that I've lost the ability to be frightened that we all enjoy as children?

Here is a list of my favorite three, as always, highly subject to change as I am exposed to new horror fare...

1. Halloween - still terrifies me if the mood is right, I never miss watching this one during Halloween of course, and the scene when Michael sits up behind Laurie is burned into my psyche as one of the most frightening scenes ever.

2. Alien - the ultimate creature film for me, a perfect marriage of creature design (that of the biomechanoid) by Giger and sparse beautiful cinematography and direction by the incomparable Ridley Scott, all combine to create a claustrophobic anxiety ridden tale, not nescesarily horror, perhaps more suspense, and while many today find the pacing to be quite boring, I personally feel that the intentional build up of tension is a crucial factor in the ultimate feeling of helplessness created by said pacing, and my favorite film of all time!

3. Dracula - not terrifying, but a damn fine classic interpretation of the Gothic tale, Lugosi is Dracula to me.

Thanks for your suggestions! As always, the Freaks Board rocks! :D

Well, I already agree with the films you've mentioned, so...

Evil Dead 2

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The Thing

Nothing but your imagination will actually scare you....

My fav.. are
Anything with Zombies in it
TCM (remake)
Halloween!

But the thought of these scare me...
Event Horizon
Children of the Corn (1st on only)
Pet Cemetary (damn scene with Zelda) :(

Well I'm in the same boat, nothing really can scare me anymore, but as I said in another thread:

1. Inside

and others:

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Evil Dead

Now movies that I couldn't do without in my collection, even though not reall scary:

1. Halloween
2. Dawn of the Dead 78'
3. Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

I wouldn't say these are my top 3 but I am going to throw them out there for something new:

-Last House on the Left - original
-I Spit On Your Grave
-Videodrome - might not be consider horror but great movie none the less.

Oh also check out: Inside

I strongly considered putting "the Brood" on my list. If you want horror that will dig into your brain and disturb you in the wee hours, you could do worse than Cronenberg. I think "Dead Ringers" and "Naked Lunch" could fit in there, as well. Horror is a state of mind, not just something that fits the formula of "psychopathic murderer kills people for no good reason."

I strongly considered putting "the Brood" on my list. If you want horror that will dig into your brain and disturb you in the wee hours, you could do worse than Cronenberg. I think "Dead Ringers" and "Naked Lunch" could fit in there, as well. Horror is a state of mind, not just something that fits the formula of "psychopathic murderer kills people for no good reason."

Oh I definitely agree, I was just trying to be as neutral as possible. We could really start getting into some sick stuff if we wanted. :)

Personal horror favourites? Hmpf, Return of the living dead, The Fly, Aliens, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead (2004), The Descent, Hollow Man (not exactly horror), Shaun of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil 1, American Werewolf in London, Event Horizon, Final Destination, The Hills Have Eyes (remake) and more. But this is my top three :monkey3

Personal horror favourites? Hmpf, Return of the living dead, The Fly, Aliens, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead (2004), The Descent, Hollow Man (not exactly horror), Shaun of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil 1, American Werewolf in London, Event Horizon, Final Destination, The Hills Have Eyes (remake) and more. But this is my top three :monkey3

Love 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later. I cannot wait for 28 Months Later.

Hard to pick just 3from my extensive list of favourites...but here's what I think

1. Hellraiser.

2. Shaun of the Dead.

3. Cabin Fever.

Any collection has to have these 3 as a must. Monsters, Zombies and contagon oh my.

Hard to pick just 3from my extensive list of favourites...but here's what I think

1. Hellraiser.

2. Shaun of the Dead.

3. Cabin Fever.

Any collection has to have these 3 as a must. Monsters, Zombies and contagon oh my.

I forgot about Cabin Fever, another great film. I like too many movies. :)

so hard to pick three, and about 95% of my collection was made before 1970 so i'll go with 3 pre and 3 post...

pre
Black Sabbath
Frankenstein (gotta give it to the original, but i love Bride too)
The Haunting

The Thing
28 Days Later

so hard to pick three, and about 95% of my collection was made before 1970 so i'll go with 3 pre and 3 post...

pre
Black Sabbath
Frankenstein (gotta give it to the original, but i love Bride too)
The Haunting

The Thing
28 Days Later

Believe it or not I watched Frankenstein for the first time yesterday. I loved it. It's so cool seeing little things that they did back then that are still used by directors today.

I wouldn't say these are my top 3 but I am going to throw them out there for something new:

-Last House on the Left - original
-I Spit On Your Grave

Oh also check out: Inside

damn,man! Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave are friggin' brutal movies!! My friend at work suggested I saw I Spit On Your Grave. And I didn't want to at first but I'm a horror junkie and so I had to see if it lived up to the hype of being disturbing. And it was! It didn't scare me but it was hard to watch:horror brutal.

I'll go with a few that have not been mentioned that I feel are essential.

1. - Black Christmas
2. - Session 9
3. - The Fog

My absolute favorite is Halloween, but I think everyone knows about that one.

Back