Hollywood Collectors Gallery "Batman" (1989) Cowl Prop Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered this today. Seems very impressive. Hope i won't be desapointed cause it's a little bit pricy.
Can't wait!
:)

Thank you! I hope so! I used to look for the Toynami one but it is untraceable and extremely expensive right now.
Heubert you've got both right? Is this 89 as good as the Toynami or close to?

Thank you! I hope so! I used to look for the Toynami one but it is untraceable and extremely expensive right now.
Heubert you've got both right? Is this 89 as good as the Toynami or close to?

Yes bud! I was lucky to nab a Toynami Returns version last November for almost PO price. It was all luck! :)

IMO, they both look good. Batman 89 cowl is one of the better cowls HCG has produced so far, as it has better base and size compared to their Sonar Cowl's size and base, and even their Forever Cowl will be on the boring round base.

However, Toynami wins in terms of accuracy. Not only does the Returns cowl look sharper and better by default (as the 89 cowl looks more raw, suitable for a vigilante who just started crimefighting), Toynami's cowl has direct lineage to a screen-used cowl. HCG's is a new sculpt instead of a direct mold for some reason (perhaps the actual props from '89 are no longer suitable for use as mold?). It's done by Emmy-award winning sculptor, but for most prop collectors, direct lineage from an actual prop means a lot.

I like them both though! As they look the same but very different, if you know what I mean :) I guess someone posted a photo of both cowls displayed side-by-side a page earlier :)

Thank you for your very complete answer!
Yeah the Toynami looks very great and badass, but cowl appart, i always loved and prefered the more organic 89 suit! So i think i'll be il love with this 89 cowl wich seems really well executed!
Yeah i saw the picture of two and really look great both.
:wink1:

Thank you for your very complete answer!
Yeah the Toynami looks very great and badass, but cowl appart, i always loved and prefered the more organic 89 suit! So i think i'll be il love with this 89 cowl wich seems really well executed!
Yeah i saw the picture of two and really look great both.
:wink1:

Enjoy, my friend -- it's a great piece that can make visitors' heads turn :) In my opinion if you only have one Keaton Batcowl it doesn't matter whether you have 1989 or Returns version -- Keaton cowls are fantastic display pieces :)

Yeah i plan to have just one cowl and only keaton cowl. So the 89 Will be perfect! I remeber two years ago the Burton expo went in Paris, There was a keaton cowl on display and it really freaking me out and thought it was amazing!!! :panic:
Anyway i decided to reduce drasticly my collection, sell my star wars stuff and focus myself on batman:
89 cowl
89 hot toys batmobile
Dx09
Dx08
And that's all! ( what is already great)

Didn't know yet if i will keep my IM mark VII... It is cool!

Hi,

Had the time to open this today. I was a little bit nervous and i hesitated before ordering this because of the price and some returns about the poor quality of the sonar. But honestly not regret. The box is huge. Not as big as the HT 89 batmobile but bigger than i expected. Everything is well packaged and protected. This 89 cowl is pure beauty! Not undersized and the quality is great. It is really impressive. The pics we can find on the net really not give justice to this masterpiece!
It's delivered with an card explaining the work of the artist.
Two great surprises:
The stand is a sort of mini batwing and the bat emblem on the chest is cast from the original mold.
So very happy!
:yess:
A few ( poor) pics with my cellular:

I received my Batcowl today. I just wished the bat emblem had its edges glued better on the yellow oval.

A question for those who owns it: - do you keep the grey sponge inside the cowl or did you pull it out? I prefer to remove it because it's kinda of shaky when it's inside, but I fear it might cause some type of friction. WDYT?

IMG_20150302_113023.jpg
IMG_20150302_113055.jpg

Congrats, Rondesmo!

Dammage, your observation is correct. It's my biggest nit on this prop -- the missing holes under the nose. Don't know if Katagiri intentionally left that out.

As for the sponge, I kept mine inside. I've also seen a few units on display with the emblem becoming sort of unglued, but mine doesn't have that problem.

Thanks Heubert!

Never noticed that there were two holes for the nose even if it's logical...
It doesn't disturb me.
Mine seems not have glue problem too.

Weird! I didn't want to buy the Sideshow Premium Format 1989 Batman! I thought that after purchasing this lifesize cowl, any tiniest consideration of the PF would vanish!

But... in fact, after purchasing the cowl...I am now thinking about the PF!

What do you think, fellas...Do you think the display of both the cowl and PF is kinda of essential?

11038881_10152628693340906_439019606702920799_o.jpg
10636482_10152628642480906_4662843667220386731_o.jpg

Great display and collection!

Personaly i never wanted to buy the PF keaton even if it's a wonderfull piece for the reason that, for me, i don't recognize keaton on this statue. It's gorgeous but i don't know why i can't feel the 89 mood...
:dunno

Probably a dumb question but does anyone know the depth on the cowl? I'm wondering if it will fit in a Billy shelf from Ikea ? I have 11" of depth in order to close the glass doors.

I've also seen a few units on display with the emblem becoming sort of unglued, but mine doesn't have that problem.

Mine seems not have glue problem too.

I just received this cowl new and sealed. Upon opening, I realized mine is having the issue where the symbol isn’t glued down properly on the edges. I know y’all weren’t afflicted by this issue, but can someone please guide me on how to fix this? Is there a particular glue I should use?

Last edited:

Nice prop belt Rondesmo!

Last edited:
Back