Hollywood Collectibles 1/4 Captain Kirk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The likeness is off. The area under the chin looks too chiseled and too prominent. The nose is too high and too small. The head is too tall and narrow. It should be wider and fuller, rounder.

I disagree that the chin looks too chiseled/prominent or that the head is too tall and narrow, but I agree that the nose is too high/small, and I agree that the likeness is not perfect and a bit off. But I'll say it again: it's the best likeness on a statue/figure that there is to date.

I disagree that the chin looks too chiseled/prominent or that the head is too tall and narrow, but I agree that the nose is too high/small, and I agree that the likeness is not perfect and a bit off. But I'll say it again: it's the best likeness on a statue/figure that there is to date.

I misspoke. I meant the area under the mouth, above the chin. That recession under the mouth, somewhat like a trapezoid. Now that you posted a bigger picture, I can see that the eyebrows are a bit off as well. They lack the slight curve upwards near the bridge of the nose, and doesn't have enough of an angle downwards towards the outward sides of his eyes. The eyebrows on the statue have too much of a one gentle sweeping curve, while they should have 3 subtle angles to them-up toward the brow, mostly flat in the middle, and downwards at the outside.

Last edited:
Its not horrible, just not up to todays standards.

Remember, this is a POLYSTONE statue. Show me a better Kirk statue/figure of any material, anywhere. No one has so far, although several have knocked it. I like giving the Devil his due. And this statue is the best I've seen of Kirk (the earlier, 1/6 release from the same company, not withstanding). The other thing to remember is that the prototype as seen in the gallery pics is exactly equal to each production model!

Last edited:
Seems like Bill Shatner's likeness has always been hard to capture in a statue or bust.

I have the Sideshow Kirk and while I like it I have always thought the head was a little too "squashed".

I like this 1/4 Kirk and that's all that matters to me. :D

Its better than the Diamond 1/4 scale by far.
Its not so much that he's difficult to capture but that, for some reason, he vetoes decent sculpts and has them redone. I've spoken to a few folks that have sculpted for companies and had that happen.
I guess this isn't so bad for an oversized, static piece. I still think WGP's is good. And....we haven't seen it painted yet. We all know that can make or break a sculpt too.

Oh, just come out and say it...it doesn't look like Shatner. And he's not unique as far as rejecting likenesses goes.When I was in the model shop we got hit with that all the time(ask me about Elvis some time)...PS

Oh, just come out and say it...it doesn't look like Shatner. And he's not unique as far as rejecting likenesses goes.When I was in the model shop we got hit with that all the time(ask me about Elvis some time)...PS

Well, not so fast.... if this piece doesn't look like Shatner, then certainly no other piece does; just come out and say that. :panic:

Its better than the Diamond 1/4 scale by far.
Its not so much that he's difficult to capture but that, for some reason, he vetoes decent sculpts and has them redone. I've spoken to a few folks that have sculpted for companies and had that happen.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that! But I believe it. The man has an ego bigger than the ship he commanded.

Thats rather definitive, I think we need to all admit that its subjective. Some see whats there and others see whats not.

Yes, that's true. But I've also noticed that maybe some folks tend to side with a particular maker that perhaps they favor, almost like rooting for one's team, and tend to dismiss or downgrade another company almost outright. I hope I'm wrong. I like to give the Devil his due and call it as I see it. And I just see this piece as top-notch. In fact, right now HCG offer the best Trek TOS statues (Kirk, Spock and the Gorn commander) in my opinion. I promise, I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with HCG. :nono

Last edited:
Yes, that's true. But I've also noticed that maybe some folks tend to side with a particular maker that perhaps they favor, almost like rooting for one's team, and tend to dismiss or downgrade another company almost outright. I hope I'm wrong. I like to give the Devil his due and call it as I see it. And I just see this piece as top-notch. In fact, right now HCG offer the best Trek TOS statues (Kirk, Spock and the Gorn commander) in my opinion. I promise, I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with HCG. :nono

very true. but i think many people compare things to their favorite company too. hot toys is now the standard so everyone's always like "if it's not better than hot toys, it's not worth it." truth is hot toys is not gonna produce every single license on earth and we as collectors miss out on some of the more noteworthy products/figures that are released

the hcg statue looks good, but it's still not perfect imho. the sculpt could be improved

Even if Hot Toys did TOS now, I really don't see them being better, or even as good as, those that Nanjin already did. To me, thats the bar that was set as far as Trek is concerned. Even Dragon's TNG pale in comparison. And they're a major manufacturer.

yeah i have nanjin's and they're awesome. thats what im saying. many people miss out on some great figs like this because it's "not hot toys"

Back