Hip Hop/Rap thread?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A day early but the greatest rapper of all time died on March 9

Rip Christopher wallace

I think GOAT is relative, you know, to each their own.

I'm a big notorious fan therefore BIG > TUPAC but that's just me.

I prefer East Coast to West Coast too

Biggie, Nas, Mobb Deep - Tupac, Dre, Snoop

I don't rate Jay-Z though

I thing BIG was a great story teller. That's what is missing in hip hop these days.. Well, one of the things. I have never felt that he had a large enough body of work for the GOAT label though. If I played pro ball.. Winning rookie of the year and having an amazing second season before suffering a career ending injury, can I be considered one of the greatest players ever? I don't think so. You can say that I might have been one of the most talented with the most potential but you can't give me the crown. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is BIG's body of work big enough to be considered the GOAT?

Ya he can because he changed hip hop and rap music which was dying badly before him. Like it or not he a doo doo (diddy) brought it to the mainstream audience and helped propel the careers of many in the music today

I thing BIG was a great story teller. That's what is missing in hip hop these days.. Well, one of the things. I have never felt that he had a large enough body of work for the GOAT label though. If I played pro ball.. Winning rookie of the year and having an amazing second season before suffering a career ending injury, can I be considered one of the greatest players ever? I don't think so. You can say that I might have been one of the most talented with the most potential but you can't give me the crown. Just my opinion.

You do bring up a good point, it's like ... was Bruce Lee the best? It seems to me only gained fame when he died.

But I dunno, I think lyrically, when BIG was at his peak and up to his death, he was on point. It felt like he was talking to my soul while TUPAC and cube (don't get me wrong, I like them) were just yelling and cussing at me, a lot.

I think he would still be making some dope music if he were still alive.

Yeah there is no doubt that he was a beast lyrically. I'm not taking anything away from his skill and ability. I'm sure plenty of people have him at #1. If you want to talk about changing the art then you have to throw Rakim in there. At a time when rappers were rhyming tree, bee and knee on some elementary school type ish he came with real lyrics and wordplay. Without him lyricist like Nas, Black Thought and Eminem would not exist. This topic always sparks some great discussions!

Pac was my favorite rapper but I don't think he is GOAT either. There is a difference. His content was more important than his delivery IMO.

Pac was my favorite rapper but I don't think he is GOAT either. There is a difference. His content was more important than his delivery IMO.

Got me there. Tupac always had some radical ideas.

And always the poet.

KRS-One never really did anything for me for some reason. I was big on LL though

You have 50 cent, Drake and Lil' ( <--oi! that was difficult. Even to type out) Wayne on a TOP 10 list?

I understand that KRS is not everyone's tea but, if I may ask, how did 50 cent change the game when he arrived? He did have buzz doing those early mixtapes and of course being shot but music wise, culture wise, what did he bring to the table? The go shawty, its your birthday song?

Not trying to flame, rather trying to see what people saw during the time when I chose not to listen anymore..

I do feel that The Neptunes helped blur the line between pop and hiphop causing what in my heart was the beginning of the end.

ALSO, MOST..IMPORTANTLY.

NEW DE LA!!

De La Soul's NEW ALBUM by De La Soul — Kickstarter

Damn, De La Soul has to kick-start to do an album? That's sad. They're basically legends in my book. I hope they're doing this to gauge interest.

I think it genius. They are staying in control of their creativity (like they almost always have been) while reaping all the benefits everybody could in the scheme of things. They know their legacy and they know they could cater to real heads with what is offered. They never were mainstream but they always found ways to get themselves out there. I like this as another route for hiphop to grow truer and interact or get interaction going between the fans and artists.
Needless to say its been backed close to 200 % with 31 days to go.
De La do as De La does.

I think it genius. They are staying in control of their creativity (like they almost always have been) while reaping all the benefits everybody could in the scheme of things. They know their legacy and they know they could cater to real heads with what is offered. They never were mainstream but they always found ways to get themselves out there. I like this as another route for hiphop to grow truer and interact or get interaction going between the fans and artists.
Needless to say its been backed close to 200 % with 31 days to go.
De La do as De La does.

I never thought about that; and you do have a valid point.

I just didn't think that way cause I always felt like they were always in control of their own music (like it was never touched by outside hands but theirs) because, as you mentioned, of their legacy.

I think in their beginning, their horrible contract with Tommy Boy really gave them that creative control mindset. Learning process and all. I hope what they and others take from this create an avenue for better music to get out there again. So here's to hoping they deliver not only their usual quality but much more on top of that so that newer generations be reminded there's better hip hop music.

Haha. I was foaming at the mouth for that ghettoblaster from dave. Not yet but looking into the print at least or if payday can come sooner then the vynil/shirt/album combo.

Back