Hip Hop/Rap thread?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol , me to man
First it was cassettes than the mix cd's when burners came out.

I still have that Shaq cd somewhere along fushnickens and dozens of other long forgotten hip hop groups hahhah

Hahah! I love it

I remember this was the song that was the HARDEST to catch on the radio. I waited all night for weeks just to finally hear it and I recorded the ish out of it lol

Winter Warz

wu tang clan - Winter warz - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my radio connected to my tv and would record rap city on tape. Everybody wanted to hold my tapes for the day lol

I remember getting all my cd's from Columbia house, and finally getting rid of all those tapes

Think my first paid off cd was ice cube, the one with wicked on it

The good old days

So how do you guys feel about the state of hip hop now? I know sooo many people claim it to be "dead" but I don't think it's dead at all. If you can avoid 70% of the crap that is out now, the remaining 30% is amazing and some of the best hip hop that has ever been released.

I feel like too many of the old school hip hop cats can't allow themselves to enjoy the new stuff, like they are embarrassed of it or something.

What was everyone's fav albums of 2014? It was a dry year for hip hop if you ask me..

My top pics that I played out all year

9aefa981810a493e84965b5fce44dde5.jpg

0f2655ead5c21b9b343abcf758032fd9.jpg

fd05c239089f04699f9ed1df52d55bb2.jpg

9a5fedce8f5b96c7c5ba6e7063480da5.jpg

af05b240fb8c1877d5161301d75bc073.jpg

Eric B. & Rakim
Public Enemy
Beasties Boys
RUN DMC
LL Cool J
Ice Cube
Ice T
NWA
Cypress Hill
Pharcyde
De La Soul
BDP

Been listening to Backspin a lot on Sirius XM so I get all of this and more.
Most of the hip hop I like and still listen to is 80's to mid 90's, considered by some to be the golden era of hip hop.

That's a legit list Pork Chop!

You really don't like present day Hip Hop eh? Not even one artist?

I can respect that though :)

That's a legit list Pork Chop!

You really don't like present day Hip Hop eh? Not even one artist?

I can respect that though :)

Present day stuff isn't bad, I don't really listen to it like the stuff I grew up on though. So it's not what I was buying and listening to with regularity.

I find that people just judge the present state of hip hop by what's offered on the radio. There is soooo much crap on the radio I don't blame people for writing the genre off.

There is a ton of great hip hop coming out imo

The Grammys are on Sunday, I can't even imagine the crap that will be occurring that day lol

More awards for Iggy Azelea? I promise I will hit my head on a wall if she wins anything.

Last edited:
I've been a hip hop head since I was about 5 and I'm now 30. Grew up on Dr. Dre, Snoop, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, OutKast, 2Pac and Biggie. 2Pac is still my all time fav, no question about it. I didn't do concerts until my teens/20s and my first rap concert was Nas. Was one of the best experiences of my life, especially since I've become a huge Nas fan the last 10 or so years. For so long I hated Nas and Jay-Z, but I eventually came around and can't even fathom how they both wouldn't be in my top 10.

I still remember the days of borrowing my cousin's cd's and recording the newest singles off the radio with a cassette tape. I don't care so much for main stream rap today outside of the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar and some others. I've gotten way more into underground hip hop the last decade or so thanks to the internet. From Sadistik, Atmosphere, Cunninlynguists, Tonedeff, Logic, Skyzoo, Tech N9ne, Talib Kweli, Evidence, Brother Ali and so many others, I'm usually more often than not listening to something underground if not classic rock, RnB or some old school hip hop.

My album of 2014 would be Sadistik's Ultraviolet. I still listen to it weekly.

Last edited:
Oh man I forgot about Outkast smh

I grew up loving them and Bone thugs. I finally got to see Bone thugs live in concert last year. What a moment!

Still to this day my wife and I try and attend every hip concert we can. It keeps us young at heart and I love every minute of it. I've seen everyone in the game, most several times. The only one I haven't seen yet is Ll Cool J and I'm hoping I get to soon.

Holy crap I forgot about Big Pun!!! Wow I'm a waste lol

My list needs to be adjusted

None of you get to talk about hip-hop without mentioning da blastmasta!
2d831d7806e3522f4367881b355554b7.jpg

BDP
Gang Starr
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu-Tang
Black Star
The Roots
Outkast
Jurassic 5
Mobb Deep

Can't leave these too far behind