Help with HS paint..how to?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can certainly see improvement from the first version.

Overall i'd say maybe you are using a little too much paint, I don't know since i'm not a painter myself, maybe someone else can opine - the reason I say that is because the paint looks a bit thick

But no doubt an imrovement over the first try like I said - good luck for the third attempt!

Thanks intothevoid for the reply. I am using thin layers of washes in the face for base color, but the shine does that effect you said, make the paint looks too thick. Still have to apply the matt varnish, that should help a little bit with the shine.. Other than that, I pm Kuato, and he said not all HS can achieve the translucent effect. Those HS I am painting are made of cheap plastic, maybe that is why the skin does not look all good..

Ok, here some pictures after the matt varnish. Not a big change, only a bit more flat I guess:

red01.jpg

red02t.jpg

red03.jpg

Yeah looks a bit better - and yes very true what Kuato said: depends a lot on what the cast material is.

One further comment I have is that try and reduce the black for the eye lashes, particularly the under-lashes, right now it is giving a slight eye-liner look

Thanks for the advices intothevoid. I just got my 20/0 brush, it looks almost the same size as the 5/0 just a little smaller, but it should be enough for the eye lashes. I will use a mix of brown and black next time to them look more natural,, and use washes for the hair so it will looks less thicker.

The guy who sold me the HS of Christian Bale says he sent me the certificate by mail, but even so... Now I am paint the HS and I can tell it has a lot of QC issues, not the best quality, I guess it is definitely a recast. Too bad... the seller offered me a refund saying he bought it with certificate, but It took 1 month to arrive to my country, so I don't want to take another month to arrive to his country, I hate waiting. I don't have anough money right now, because I just got the Exclusive Batman Beging figure.. But in the future I will try to get a genuine Adam's Bale sculpt. Anyway I'll do my best to paint the recast and see how it goes.

Here is how the HS was looking, before I starting to dislike it, so use the thinner and found out it was a recast. Anyway, the neck was wrong from the beginning, so I suspect it was in fact a recast. But confirmed with the result after applied the thinner. The good thing is I am getting this HS directly from Dean, so I am getting the real thing now :D .. and got my brush 20/0 so, I think the final paint job will be good.

dsc00308mt.jpg

Here is the HS painted by me, thanks to everybody who helped me on this thread, I hope this thread help somebody else who want to learn on how to make a customized paint job on a 1/6 head sculpt :):

im05.jpg

Hi, Tyranus7,
Your paint job on Christian Bale HS looks good! I like the skin color. I think it looks natural. Did you use pastel chalk or just paint? But I think it still need a little work on the hair lines.

I myself am not a painter. But I'd like to start painting HS soon. I hope I could put my work in this forum for feedback.

Keep up the good work!

It would be nice to see your work :hi5:. As for the skin technique I followed the tutorial posted on the first post, and changed some stuff to go more with my vision of Christian Bale.

First: apply 20-30 coat of washes of a mixed color (light flesh + flat flesh)

second: Used soft pastel dust, to create the shadows

third: I used some water to spread the soft pastel dust to create an uniform skin tone.

You have to repeat the second and third step as many times untill you get the skin tone you want. Just make sure you use a really soft brush to spread the pastel chalk, otherwise you will take off the acrylic paint, and then you'll need to start all over from step one.

Abouth the hair lines I couldn't find any tutorial on the web about how to paint it, so I asked to a few member here on how to paint the hair. they told me I had to apply a base coat, which is a light version of the color of hair you want. On this case I applied a light brown coat, under the dark brown coat. The thing I found out on the process is you have to use thicker washes to create a more precise hair line, but then I got tired with the hair :monkey3 ... It looks good in hand any way..

Back