Help with Anakin skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a SSC Anakin skywalker new in box. Shortly after receiving the figure his leather/ pleather tunic has started shedding and falling off! I've seached the forum looking for information on this problem and haven't found anything, is this a common problem? More importantly is there a replacement option that anyone knows of.

Yes its very common. Most if not all of them fall apart like that. Your only option is to make or have someone else make a new set for you.
I think the Medicom version held up better but they are smaller and don't think they'd work on the SSC figure.

I went through the process of buying a number of these back when I just got into the line. It's a very annoying process and for me it only gets worse as time goes on. The material either sticks to the plastic inserts or you take the figure out and it naturally degrades.

That super glue may do the trick! Also Today I watched a vid on YouTube of a person using Folkart leather studio paint on a material that's nearly identical to Anakins tunic. I ordered the paint today I'll test and post pics of b4 and after.

Yeah same problem for me too. I've been meaning to try some leather repair stuff to see if I can keep my Anakins together. Specifically I was looking at getting was this stuff: Super Glue Vinyl Leather Mender 1 FL OZ Dries Clear Flexible Water Resistant | eBay

Best thing to do with the sideshow version is to set it on fire to accurately recreate the iconic scene in ROTS.

Then wait patiently for the hot toys version to be released.

This post is sarcastic ;)

Best thing to do with the sideshow version is to set it on fire to accurately recreate the iconic scene in ROTS.

Then wait patiently for the hot toys version to be released.

This post is sarcastic ;)

If only I'd seen all of your post... Now I've gone a barbecued him :dunno

lol
Seriously tho I'd love it so much if hot toys made this figure :pray:

Someone was making them on the boards. Maybe Spiderrogue, not sure though.

Is this the same for the regular and Sith version or did they change the material?
I am building a custom one currently.

I purchased a sith version from a seller on eBay thinking that sideshow would have upgraded the material. Unfortunately as soon as I removed ibad Anakin from the packaging it started flaking! Still waiting for the paint to arrive from Walmart.com. I'll keep you Guys posted.

Oh boy, I have both and have never displayed them.... :slap They've been in the original packaging since they came out all those years ago. Not so excited to find out how they look now. :pray:

Unfortunatly you may be in for a surprise. I purchased from someone who had never opened the shipper box thinking that I'd handle it with TLC. As soon as I removered it from the packaging some of the material stuck to the plastic packaging! ����

Oh boy, I have both and have never displayed them.... :slap They've been in the original packaging since they came out all those years ago. Not so excited to find out how they look now. :pray:

Unfortunatly you may be in for a surprise. I purchased from someone who had never opened the shipper box thinking that I'd handle it with TLC. As soon as I removered it from the packaging some of the material stuck to the plastic packaging! ����

I actually have 3; a flaking Jedi one, a sith that just started some light flaking, and one sith never removed from the box. I had hoped the boxed one was safe but now I think I'm hooped :slap
I doubt I ever would of sold it but I liked the idea of buying two sith back in the day incase it ever became worth something. I still like the idea of an unopened one tho, even if I keep it. It took some restraint for me to leave it boxed. I just hope I can still fix my two display ones. Ep. 3 Anakin is my favourite Jedi look

I actually have 3; a flaking Jedi one, a sith that just started some light flaking, and one sith never removed from the box. I had hoped the boxed one was safe but now I think I'm hooped :slap
I doubt I ever would of sold it but I liked the idea of buying two sith back in the day incase it ever became worth something. I still like the idea of an unopened one tho, even if I keep it. It took some restraint for me to leave it boxed. I just hope I can still fix my two display ones. Ep. 3 Anakin is my favourite Jedi look

Well I was hoping to one day display at least one of them, but now I don't want to touch them!! I figured if Hot Toys made one I'd pick up a new head sculpt and stick it on the sideshow one. Once on display I'd probably never touch em so I was fine with the crappy sideshow body, and thought the outfit was good enough. Same thing with my original Sideshow Jedi Luke. Guess I'll be buying an new one if Hot Toys makes him... :dunno

Best bet is to make a new one yourself or find someone who can. The one I had was coming apart like nothing I've ever seen and don't think it can really be saved. Also sounds like they're falling apart across the board even for new in box ones.

Re: Help with Anakin skywalker UDDATED WITH RESULTS.

Okay here are the results. I used Folkart leather studio paint. So here are some notes if you use this method. Lay the tunic down flat...duh I didn't and when I woke up it had run down. I'm going to attemp to purchase a second tunic and try again because I'm sure I'll get better results. Also the tunic is not hard and maintains its pleather feel and flexibility. Also if you can coat your tunic before it starts peeling this will defiantly prevent it from peeling.

Step 1 I pulled off all the loose materials

image.jpg

Step 2. I put on a heavy coat so that the material would obsorb the paint.

image.jpg

Step 3. I applied a second coat of black.
image.jpg

Step 4. Finished
image.jpg

Here is the stuff I used. The 1st coat was clear the second coat was black.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 109
Re: Help with Anakin skywalker UDDATED WITH RESULTS.

Okay here are the results. I used Folkart leather studio paint. So here are some notes if you use this method. Lay the tunic down flat...duh I didn't and when I woke up it had run down. I'm going to attemp to purchase a second tunic and try again because I'm sure I'll get better results. Also the tunic is not hard and maintains its pleather feel and flexibility. Also if you can coat your tunic before it starts peeling this will defiantly prevent it from peeling.

Here is the stuff I used. The 1st coat was clear the second coat was black.
View attachment 168868

That looks pretty darn good even with all the damage prior to painting it. I'll definitely have to get on that!
Thanks for posting your results :clap

Back