help painting ss indy head!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkyYT

Super Freak
Reaction score
hey guys, ive repainted my sideshow rotla indiana jones head, but for some reason this version with the hat keeps 'glossing up' and is sticky as though the paint doesnt want to take to the sculpt.

i was going to post this in the custom section but ive repainted/touched up other heads, including sideshow and hot toys and had no probs. even with the hatless indy sculpt, but the same thing has happened to the 2 indy hatted sculpts i have.

iv'e tried repainted a couple of times to rule out dodgy paints, and making sure they are properly stirred the 2nd time round but to no avail.
the sculpt is clean, ive used meths, white spirit and nail polish remover with acetone (all very carefully and seperately) and removed all before painting. i thought the white spirit might allow the paint to bite into the sculpt a bit better

im using tamiya acrylic paints. im not puting a base coat down though (not sure what to use) but this hasnt been a problem with any other heads. im painting in thin coats using tamiya acrylic thinners and ive tried spraying a matt spray over the top and it works for a while but after a while indy gets shinier and shinier!

any ideas what im doing wrong?? im still fairly new at this so im hoping someone can point out anything that im missing, any help is appreciated

cheers

Never had that problem on the Indy I painted but I'd try a bit of primer on that. If you've got Testor's Dullcoat or the like, just use that as a base coat. It should stick to anything. And then paint on top of that as normal.

i have some humbrol acrylic matt varnish spray from hobbycraft. would this be suitable as a primer?
it doesnt look too different from testors dullcoat

Last edited:
I haven't painted anything in years, but when I was doing lots of vinyl statues, I'd always use a primer before applying my paints. If you don't have a primer handy, you can always use a water-based flat white paint, and dilute it substantially with water.

I'd recommend against using the lacquer as a primer, as that's not its purpose. You use the dullcote spray after painting in order to protect your work.

I haven't painted anything in years, but when I was doing lots of vinyl statues, I'd always use a primer before applying my paints. If you don't have a primer handy, you can always use a water-based flat white paint, and dilute it substantially with water.

I'd recommend against using the lacquer as a primer, as that's not its purpose. You use the dullcote spray after painting in order to protect your work.

i think thats what il have to do, i did use the flat flesh colour with thinner as a base coat though when painting this time round. i just think its odd ive only had problems with this one sculpt (on to seperate heads).
It'll pain me to rub off the paintjob i did though, its about as good as i could wish for :monkey2

i have some humbrol acrylic matt varnish spray from hobbycraft. would this be suitable as a primer?
it doesnt look too different from testors dullcoat

Should work. I'm not knowledgeable at what they add to make it sprayable but so long as the varnish sticks for you you should be able to paint on top of it. Acrylic varnish should act like acrylic medium and help the new paint soak into it too.

thanks for the advice, ive got 2 heads with the problem so think il do a test for the spray and the flat white this weekend and see what happens before properly painting the head.

Thanks Obsolete. I appreciate that more than you can know. Honored.

Anyway, Indy and Sallah? I'll see what I can do. Indy is suffering from...an affliction. He is shedding his paint. Slowly. He shines. Some kind of bad reaction to the paint, on the part of the plastic Sideshow used on that one. One of my favorite paints ever, wasting away slowly.I'll post a pic soon, but just know, Indy isn't feverish, he's molting.
Got to solve that soon.

But again, thanks. (Love your avatar too! Hartnell rocks!!!)

ive taken the liberty of copying les walkers comment about his indy into this thread (hope thats ok les)

regarding my indy,ive repainted the head (with a white base) and left it for a month now to gas out or whatever it needs to do. it was still shiny so i have sprayed some matt varnish on it today.
by writing this i can keep track of when i did this incase indy goes all funny on me again! fingers crossed

Back