HD TV question ( DLP vs LCD )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DLP's are garbage, at least the Toshiba ones, I barely used mine and the bulb went in less then 2 years, I ^^^^ you not, on Superbowl Sunday.
When I bought it they said it would last over 6000 hours... not even close. I then had to fight tooth and nail to get Toshiba to pony one up for free.

DLP's are garbage, at least the Toshiba ones, I barely used mine and the bulb went in less then 2 years, I ^^^^ you not, on Superbowl Sunday.
When I bought it they said it would last over 6000 hours... not even close. I then had to fight tooth and nail to get Toshiba to pony one up for free.

DLP's are known for bulbs going out. Shame on you for not educating yourself about that. However, you being a Pitt fan and all I would expect that. :rotfl

so my 42" rearprojection tv is totally on the fritz with its color so I'm probably going to buy a plasma this week. I can't decide though if 50" or 58". Obviously I WANT the 58" screen, but its more than DOUBLE the price of 50". $800 vs $1700.

So here's the question, do I buy the 58" now or do I buy the 50" and enjoy for 1 or 2 years and by that time maybe the 58" or even bigger will be down below $1000 so I'd be getting like 2 tvs for the price of 1.... because I could move the 50" into the bedroom or basement at that time.

Thoughts?

so my 42" rearprojection tv is totally on the fritz with its color so I'm probably going to buy a plasma this week. I can't decide though if 50" or 58". Obviously I WANT the 58" screen, but its more than DOUBLE the price of 50". $800 vs $1700.

So here's the question, do I buy the 58" now or do I buy the 50" and enjoy for 1 or 2 years and by that time maybe the 58" or even bigger will be down below $1000 so I'd be getting like 2 tvs for the price of 1.... because I could move the 50" into the bedroom or basement at that time.

Thoughts?

I'd get the 50. :cool:

i still dont own an hdtv so i dont know much about them so maybe someone can help me out here. ive seen lcds that range from 60hz to 240hz but then i see some plasmas that say 600hz. does that mean theyre that much better than lcds?

i still dont own an hdtv so i dont know much about them so maybe someone can help me out here. ive seen lcds that range from 60hz to 240hz but then i see some plasmas that say 600hz. does that mean theyre that much better than lcds?

There used to be a noticeable difference in LCD vs. Plasma, where Plasma screens didn't have ghosting issues and had higher contrast ratios (so dark colors were darker, light colors were brighter). But since then LCD technology has gotten much better than it used to be and there's no real advantage in buying plasma over LCD. Especially now with the LED backlit LCD TV's that are even better.

The hz is how fast the screen displays, if looking at the screen gives you headaches then it's better to increase the hz setting for the screen--since in reality the screen is blinking at you very rapidly, increasing it will reduce the effect.

But I look at a monitor that's 80hz all day and I'm just fine.

Basically, the more you pay, the more it hertz.

The more hertz you have the better it is able to handle moving pictures, such as in sports, without getting that blurring effect. With HDTV the difference between 120 to 240 can range from noticeable to not much difference, depending upon the make.

So when trying to determine which one you like better, make sure you use the same source material, and something with fast movement. It may be a racing car, but if it sits in the middle of the screen, only the background will be moving.

DLP's are known for bulbs going out. Shame on you for not educating yourself about that. However, you being a Pitt fan and all I would expect that. :rotfl

Thats where you are wrong fine sir, being a Flyers and Phillies fan, I would I expect that :D

I got one of the first ones, the bulbs at first were expected to last longer than they eventually did, I simply got screwed

GO RAIDERS HUH....

Thats where you are wrong fine sir, being a Flyers and Phillies fan, I would I expect that :D

I got one of the first ones, the bulbs at first were expected to last longer than they eventually did, I simply got screwed

GO RAIDERS HUH....

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

You were duped! So were the Eagles into thinking that they couldn't show up to the game and still win. You know what though? You're both losers either way and I'm sitting pretty with my LCD. :rotfl

finally narrowed to 2 choices, what do you think?
Both are 1080p.

54" Plasma Panasonic Viera TC-54S1
or
52" LCD Sony 120hz KDL52V5100

Prices are roughly the same.Which one. I've been researching and researching, but just can't pull the trigger because I'm always looking for the best deal. I just need someone to tell me which way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Both are 1080p.

or

Prices are roughly the same.Which one. I've been researching and researching, but just can't pull the trigger because I'm always looking for the best deal. I just need someone to tell me which way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Tough call. Although I still prefer LCD due to longevity and lack of problems with image burn in. Good luck with your choice! :duff Oh and stop being a cheap bastard and just buy one! :tap

Both are 1080p.

or

I vote Plasma! Bigger screen for the money for one thing. Also, as for longevity, unless you leave the set on 24/7 for years at a time, it probably won't be a problem.

I'll be in the market for a flat screen soon...and I am not even considering anything other than a Sony LCD.

Back