HCG ALIENS Pulse Rifle

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The regulation around replica or imitation firearms cover this, the exact wording escapes me but it's something like:

"resembling or could easily be mistaken for a real gun"

...which I suppose the PR satisfies, in a dark ally if your victim is Mr McGoo, but they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator so in it goes to the same bucket they classify accurate gun replicas (or disabled real guns), flick knifes and other prohibited weapons.

The irony is of course that the Pulse Rifle poses no real threat other than as a bludgeoning weapon, which my wife would no doubt restort to if I considered converting one of the rooms in our house to level 3 secure storage.

We have sort of have the same law in Canada about replica firearms and it still went through.

I spoke to customs about that legal proceedings clause and was told that it's only there for repeat offenders and that as long as I lodged my B144 (form for return of seized goods) and had appropriate permits in hand or in process I should be fine.

Unfortunately, the requirements set out by NSW Police to possess this sort of item are insane:

A permit ($127 for 5 years), joining an approved collectors club (about $100, then $60 a year), building/buying a secure storage area for the item including security grilles on all windows and deadlocks ($500++) and having Police inspect the secure storage ($100 per inspection).

Really? The cops want you to get a FULL gun licence for a movie prop? :rotfl

I'm surprised that they would try to charge 100 bucks for an inspection as well... That doesn't sound legit. Maybe it's a new "deterrent" they've slipped into the legislation recently?

*edit*
Ok, I just checked it out, the fee is for inspection of a secure room... Which I suppose is fair enough if you had actual REAL guns hanging on the wall. Still, crazy expense to go through for a movie prop.

It looks like it just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully they return it so you're not out of pocket. Best of luck man.

Last edited:
Really? The cops want you to get a FULL gun licence for a movie prop? :rotfl

I'm surprised that they would try to charge 100 bucks for an inspection as well... That doesn't sound legit. Maybe it's a new "deterrent" they've slipped into the legislation recently?

*edit*
Ok, I just checked it out, the fee is for inspection of a secure room... Which I suppose is fair enough if you had actual REAL guns hanging on the wall. Still, crazy expense to go through for a movie prop.

It looks like it just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully they return it so you're not out of pocket. Best of luck man.

Thanks, I have spoken to 2 separate people at Customs who said having the package returned was an option so I'm hoping it's not a case of speaking to the word experience person and getting the wrong info :)

The permit I am required to hold isn't an actual gun license, just a permit to posses a prohibited firearm. Having said that, the background check, secure storage and other requirements are identical to if I wanted to own a real gun and while I understand why the laws exist it does seem ridiculous that I could tick one box on the application form and be able to buy a real rifle & ammo to store alongside my plastic science fiction toy.

I spoke to a local shop owner here who imports a lot of this sort of thing, he stocks some HCG stuff (not the Pulse Rifle unfortunately) and he confirmed that it's really just luck of the draw with Customs. Obviously you should arrange the proper permits before attempting the import but he says that most of the time things pass through without Customs looking at them at all. I just got unlucky and I'm being punished for my ignorance of the laws.

The gun laws have not changed, see my previous comments about that. Unless you have all the appropriate permits and storage I wouldn't risk it.

Yes, I tried going through with a permit for this when they were first released, and in the end just cancelled it because of the hassle I had to go through, and the risk of customs destroying it.
Because this looks almost like a real gun and is metal, there is no way they will let it in.
If it is more alien looking like the District 9 Assault Rifle (which I got through, but customs had opened it so it was delayed by a couple of weeks) and is made from fibreglass, you would be OK.

I had one of these in OD but to be honest wasnt that impressed so sold it on! The underbarrel grenade launcher was the main reason, just not what I was expecting for £700

I spoke to customs about that legal proceedings clause and was told that it's only there for repeat offenders and that as long as I lodged my B144 (form for return of seized goods) and had appropriate permits in hand or in process I should be fine.

Unfortunately, the requirements set out by NSW Police to possess this sort of item are insane:

A permit ($127 for 5 years), joining an approved collectors club (about $100, then $60 a year), building/buying a secure storage area for the item including security grilles on all windows and deadlocks ($500++) and having Police inspect the secure storage ($100 per inspection).

I did find this: https://www.megatron.net.au/Index.htm which would have helped me if not for the huge expense of level 3 secure storage being a requirement. I suppose I fail as an ALIENS fan if I'm not willing to reconstruct my house to hold movie memorabilia.

So, I am going to ask Customs to return the item to sender, good news for anyone who wants an OD Pulse Rifle, HCG should have +1 stock within a few weeks.

I'm not a happy camper, but I only have myself to blame. I shouldn't have taken HCG's word on this being allowed in the country, I should have done this research before I ordered the PR.

I hope this acts as a cautionary tale for anyone else who wants to order anything potentially prohibited from overseas.

God....Orwell is spinning in his grave at 10,000 rpm

Back