Have collectors become too spoiled and critical?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are Collector's these days too spoiled and over-critical?

• Total voters

dsokyra

Super Freak
Reaction score
The fact is that the quality of collectibles has changed dramatically over the past couple decades. There was a time when we would buy a 12" Han Solo figure with a headsculpt that looked like Beau Bridges and we'd be happy with it. Detail and quality have vastly improved, even in the last few years - along with ever-increasing prices. My question to the Freak community is: How nitpicky is too nitpicky? Have we just gotten spoiled or are we justified in demanding near perfection for the prices we pay? (I'm referring mainly to 1/6 scale figures)

Last edited:
i think for the prices that are being paid for these collectibles, a collector has a right to voice his approval or displeasure. these aren't a couple of bucks, but hundreds of bucks. when you spend that kind of money, your opinion should matter to the manufacturer. probably less on a forum. LOL

I don't try to be picky but what really get me is the in some cases big difference between what we are shown when we order and what we receive. If they showed EXACTLY what we got when we ordered even if it had a few little "imperfections" I could live with it because I knew what I was getting into but to show me a 10 then deliver a 7 just isn't cool.

I don't try to be picky but what really get me is the in some cases big difference between what we are shown when we order and what we receive. If they showed EXACTLY what we got when we ordered even if it had a few little "imperfections" I could live with it because I knew what I was getting into but to show me a 10 then deliver a 7 just isn't cool.

That's a very good point...especially when preorders go up sometimes a year or more in advance. It's kind of a bait and switch situation.

most places like ss offer a return policy if not satisfied. you lose the NRD and shipping however which isn't cool. the nature of the beast i guess.

I would say yes...because Im one of those people. Im not that nitpicky down to where Im pissed off if a figures buttcheeks are too "plump" (Ive actually seen people complain about that :lol), but Ive had times where Ill completely pass on a figure for fixable problems.

I don't think a nitpicker would draw attention to himself by starting a thread like this so twas a foregone conclusion that the OP would be a 'yes' voter.

I dunno, on the one hand it does seem ridiculous that the better things get the more critical we seem to be. On the other hand I reserve the right to be critical if I want to be and **** all y'all!

The fact is that the quality of collectibles has changed dramatically over the past couple decades. There was a time when we would buy a 12" Han Solo figure with a headsculpt that looked like Beau Bridges and we'd be happy with it. Detail and quality have vastly improved, even in the last few years - along with ever-increasing prices. My question to the Freak community is: How nitpicky is too nitpicky? Have we just gotten spoiled or are we justified in demanding near perfection for the prices we pay? (I'm referring mainly to 1/6 scale figures)

I'd say that people should be as picky, and as OCD as they want. We're in this hobby to get quality figures, with the best possible likeness to characters. If anyone disagrees with that, I'd refer them to the toy sections of Walmart or Target - where they can pick up cheaply made toys, with subpar production values, for a fraction of the price of high-end collectible figures.

Picky to a degree, but most stuff I can live with or take care of it myself.

I'm not going to go ape **** over the mole placement or number of neck wrinkles on a Christian Bale sculpt.

i don't know if we have become too spoiled / critical or perhaps too eager to express our opinions online.

I love the nitpickers. They draw my attention to all the faults I would otherwise have not been aware of or cared about.

Back